Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That Impertinant Magma, how dare it!  (Read 707 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That Impertinant Magma, how dare it!
« on: July 06, 2008, 12:23:11 pm »

So, my massive Civil Works project, wherein I channel hot magma into the area beneath the public baths, is nearly complete. But, being the overachiever I am, and with all my dwarves having Speed 1, I decided to engrave the walls of the magmaduct, and I also, following my normal pattern, had engraved the spots in the floor of the duct that were made of interestingly-contrasting colors; Oripment, that yellow stone, and so forth.

It turns out that magma, for some reason, destroys engravings when it wanders over them, but not the ones in the walls of the chute. I just hope my legendary engraver/miner/bookkeeper dosen't go on a tantrum.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That Impertinant Magma, how dare it!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:55:18 pm »

Yea, engravings are finicky. They get desecrated with anything, blood, vomit, mud.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:08:33 pm »

I usually have a lot of haulers with stone detailing turned on to make them stronger and more agile. I also smooth large areas, so I have most of them as legendaries by mid-game. So, one fort back in the day I thought to celebrate my new magma works by making an engraving fest. I thought the imps and magma men would appreciate an artistically tasteful magma channel. Well... I don't know about how satisfied their art sense was, but their social life got a lot more active once my dwarfs started throwing themselves into the magma pipe. Nuff said...

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:12:20 pm »

Hahahaaaaah!

Man, imagine the engravings that would follow after that event.

Lots of depictions of dwarves hurling themselves down tubes and burning.