Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Computer!  (Read 2132 times)

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Computer!
« on: July 06, 2008, 01:47:21 am »

It has made Dwarf Fortress about a billion times more fun (which I thought wasn't possible.)

For the past 7 years I had been using the same computer. My average for a perfectly flat, liquidless, undug badlands with 7 dwarves was... 10 FPS. By the time I hit 25 dwarves, I was lucky to get 1.

I now have a 50+ fortress with a severe animal control problem, with -flowing- liquids. The slowest I've seen it go is 80 FPS, and that was during a controlled aquifer-fed flood into the local magma vent to cap it with obsidian, so that I can save the last surviving fire imp for the future zoo.

I'm so happy :D

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Computer!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:09:00 am »

about the same thing has happened to me when i upgraded to a new machine

my life now has +5 extra happiness

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:13:57 am »

What's your hardware? My old A64 3200+ got me around 50fps, but it burned through. Now i'm on a old laptop, but this one gets me barely 30fps. I'm planing to buy a A64 LE, as DF only uses one core and its helluva cheap.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »

Congratulations!

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »

What's your hardware? My old A64 3200+ got me around 50fps, but it burned through. Now i'm on a old laptop, but this one gets me barely 30fps. I'm planing to buy a A64 LE, as DF only uses one core and its helluva cheap.
Assuming he bought OEM, its probably a Core 2 Duo. Dell and pretty much most of the OEMs that I've looked over recently haven't even bothered with any processors below Pentium Dual-Core. I don't remember the last time I've seen them selling Celeron processors with their system.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:31:48 pm »

Exact same thing happened with me today, I just upgraded everything and I recently found out that I was originally playing DF in slow motion.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 10:26:31 pm »

Oh, how I doth loveth mine computer, that I have built(eth) myself(eth).
Core 2 Duo E6550, 8800GT, 2 gigs o' sheep, 300 odd gigs o' hard drive space, and one heck of an SLI motherboard. Not a good PC for playing DWAAARF FORTRESS though, 'cause I haven't done any overclocking, but it gets a respectable 30ish FPS in Crysis on max, which is nice. And if I ever need more performance, I just buy an extra 8800 fer about $150 and BAM double the speed.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »

Try turning that one on without blowing the fuse in your house. :P

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 12:47:57 am »

That's nothing, I once saw a gaming PC that maxed out its 2000w power supply.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:42:36 am »

My friend has Tri 9800GTX's in SLI, I don't know how much power it uses but its very likely close to 2000W with all of the other power hungery parts he likely has.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 03:42:18 am »

Talk about a massive waste lol. 3xSLI is anything but worth it - it's way too inefficient still. Even 2xSLI is debatable. Contrary to popular belief, you don't get 2x the power or 3x the power.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 04:15:15 am »

I realize this, but if you have a lot of money to spend on a gaming PC you may as well buy the best. He can play crysis with everything on the highest setting possible including DX10 at 40+ FPS, so it seems good to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 04:19:32 am »

Though I am not sure my computer uses that much electricity... it however produces a lot of heat...

In the winter I sometimes leave my computer on to heat my room... in the summer my computer can make the temperatures inside my room top that of the outdoors. Even if I leave two windows open, have a fan blowing air outside, at 22 Celcius... My computer can still keep it boiling inside.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 08:33:15 am »

Has your computer ever just restarted for no apperent reason?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 08:55:26 am »

Has your computer ever just restarted for no apperent reason?
Well, I don't think that would be "no apparent reason" now would it? :p  It's pretty apparent why.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: [1] 2