Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Nihilistic Existentialism  (Read 9621 times)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
Re: SomethingAwful
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2008, 07:59:01 pm »

Didn't SA develop the DF-wiki and give us all Boatmurdered? There is one or two people over there who can go gently caress themselves and the rest are (generally) pretty cool.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2008, 08:14:04 pm »

Heh, that swear-concealing thing can come up with some fun sentences at times.  I remember seeing some other forum that was using that, and there was a guy who was talking about how he "loving loved" a particular game.

I wonder if some people just start typing like that after a while...

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2008, 03:05:11 am »

I have only shortly looked at the SA link, but it seems to me there is only a small group of people complaining, anyway (I especially like the wanna-be mod that wants to ban the "faggots" :) ).

Some of the posts in some threads here are so nauseatingly elitist that it made me consider not reading this forum anymore.  However, I'd lose the pleasure of Toady's (as well as some nice other people's) posts, so I just try to ignore the most offending people.

Sorry, I don't see much elitism here. I mean, there might be some people around (though I can't think of many at all), but I don't see how their number should be particularly high compared to other places. I mean, you yourself say "some posts" in "some threads"...  maybe that's one or two people that cause that impression for you. But an overall elitist atmosphere? Can't see it, you would have to give some actual examples for that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2008, 03:27:50 am »

We do get a bit overly proud of ourselves at times...  It's just that we don't notice it as much because we all agree.

I see it as well, but mostly we're proud and welcoming, which takes most of the sting out of elitism.  If we  spent most of our time rejecting other people while talking about how much more intelligent and sensible we are, then you've got a case of bad elitism.

As it is, we're letting people join the club.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:11 am »

Yeah, easter eggs like that are very jarring to a roleplayer's suspension of disbelief.
That would most likely encourage some people to troll here, too!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2008, 05:16:32 am »

There's nothing worse than a pack of hardcore nerds who feverishly believe that they're far superior to other nerds.

Oh irony.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 05:18:18 am by Red Jackard »
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:11 am »

There's nothing worse than a pack of hardcore nerds who feverishly believe that they're far superior to other nerds.

Oh irony.

I haven't felt so much as a whiff of elitism on this forum. The SA forums are DEFINED by groundless elitism, especially when other internet forums are concerned.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2008, 10:21:58 am »

Oh irony.

I haven't felt so much as a whiff of elitism on this forum. The SA forums are DEFINED by groundless elitism, especially when other internet forums are concerned.

Thank you.  This topic seems to come up once a month or so, but I remain convinced that it isn't the case.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2008, 11:48:11 am »

!!My Post!!

(Did I seriously read through a few pages of this and no one thought of that yet?)

This forum has a few people that turn into complete jerks from time to time, and it has a few sycophants as well, but overall I think it's pretty good.  There is a lot of good info in the questions/fortress mode threads, especially for newer players.  Yes, newer players do get pointed at the wiki A LOT, but people point them at the correct page and add extra info to their post more often then not.  I don't recall ever seeing a post along the lines of "It's on the wiki dumbass!"  General can be hit and miss, but general discussion on any board EVER has been hit and miss, so I don't pay it much mind to be honest.

Since the internet is serious business, I suggest we all take SA's opinion of us very seriously and think about it constantly.   ;)

Enigma_Nova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:37 pm »

The goons are often at odds with Anonymous. Then again, we team up to raid furries in Shooped life for the lulz. I really can't explain the goons' motives for actions, but I know they simultaneously make me feel betrayed and full of laughter.

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:55 am »

great thread

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2008, 09:28:07 am »

Are you talking about this forum or SA, cause I honestly can't say

Also, it's pretty sad that some complain about SA trolling (big deal) and then troll back.
I'm not trying to pick a fight, because your post made some sense, but wouldn't you agree that your starting line (and message) was a bit offensive/trollish? Considering the following line up there, wouldn't a trollish post make your message as sad as the others?

Maybe, but I didn't get on a high horse about trolling, others did.  I just wanted to point out the obvious hypocrisy of some people trolling SA about them trolling this fine forum, just after having said that we (who is that "we" anyways?) don't lower ourselves to their (supposed) level.

Why does anyone actually care what SA goons (all of them different persons with different opinions) think?  This is my point

The problem here is not really trolling (a little here, a little there actually spices things up ;D ), but that some people take absolutely anything as a grievous personal insult.  I've seen some unnecessary flamewars erupt from less than nothing, in this forum more than anywhere else.  You had to excuse yourself to critisize my post (mildly), because you were worried I would be offended right?  Well, I'm not, and anyone who would be needs to go outside and get a breath of fresh air.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2008, 10:52:11 am »

I care

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:20 am »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 11:58:26 am »

QFT Sappho.

LQTM.

For the most part, before I post I stop and ask myself if it's stupid. Occasionally I post it anyway. But you'd be surprised at the number of times I feel like replying and just hit the next thread instead.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7