Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Nihilistic Existentialism  (Read 9612 times)

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nihilistic Existentialism
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:48 pm »

Double Edit: I should never have created this topic!

Die monster! You don't belong in this world!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:21:25 pm by WingDing »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SomethingAwful
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »

I personally havn't noticed any flame wars yet...

They are right that a large portion of this Forum worship's the ground Toady walks on... However in my experience this happens whenever a project which people like is attributed to one person

Real Life Examples:
-Will Wright: He is usually given credit for the ENTIRE project of any game he does, no matter how little involvement he actually has. Spore is probably the best example of this though one could argue The Sims 2 as well.
-Robert Banting: He was to my knowledge the only scientist of the group that got famos despite the fact that he actually done very little compared to everyone else.
-Peter Moly: Though reverse... Whenever something fails now... it is 100% his fault no matter what happens. The best example is Black and White 2 which suffered development issues and budget issues something Peter couldn't actually prevent. Fable 2 could be struck by a meteor and people will find some way to blame Peter.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:59:46 am by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 10:29:24 pm »

I've seen a few, they've never been really bad, but occasionally some people go all d-d-d-d-duel, like SirPenguin and Ghostpaw, who were going at it pretty hard a while ago.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:36:12 pm »

I never really noticed any real problems with these forums. Sure we get a few threads derailed from flame wars, but generally they either die out or get sorted out.

I came from Gaia Online. This place looks like a daily miracle in comparison. Whenever I get the feeling that things are going crappy, I go back to Gaia.

Indeed. This forum spoils me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:42:40 pm »

I could see potential problems if the userbase exploded overnight. As it stands I don't think the forums are unruly enough to draw too much time from Toady.

One of the problems with putting so many heads in one jar is the fact that they will eventually develop grudges or problematic feelings towards others. While a natural tendancy, I think it is combatted by the amount of fair-to-good posts that are made every day versus the less good posts.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:10:08 am »

Like those goons knows what a good community is supposed to be.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:47:53 am »

Like those goons knows what a good community is supposed to be.

Although I do think that their remarks are based upon cherry-picked evidence and what seems to be a big scoop of personal biases there is no need to insult them back, as this kind of reactionary posting will only empower the false image that our forums are a hive of scum and villainy.

And after reading further I have realized it may just be a vocal minority, so no need to insult the whole community, especially considering the SA community's contribution to the DF, need I remind you where Boatmurdered came from? The numerous donation stories posted in the topic are proof certain SA members also comprise a good amount of the donations that keep this project afloat.

As for their complaints, the worst that I have seen here are heated debates, the occasional adbot, and a few overenthusiastic fans, it makes me think that they never actually witnessed a fully-blown flame war, rampant idiocy, or actual trolling...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:17:16 am by WingDing »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 12:54:06 am »

I think the complaint lies more along the lines of signal/noise ratios around here.  There's a lot of chaff to sort through sometimes.  I do agree that this place could use a few more moderators to keep things tidier... to merge threads and lock spammy topics (yes, we get them).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 02:12:49 am »

Personally I am surprised the boards are as busy as they are.

Also as much as I would like Dwarf Fortress to be made faster... who here DOESN'T enjoy a pop in from Toady?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 02:16:04 am »

I think the complaint lies more along the lines of signal/noise ratios around here.  There's a lot of chaff to sort through sometimes.  I do agree that this place could use a few more moderators to keep things tidier... to merge threads and lock spammy topics (yes, we get them).

If we were going to get a moderator, my bet would be on Janus getting the job, but thats unlikely due to the fact he's got a full-time job with the taleworlds forums, and knowing that Mount and Blade is going to go retail in only a few months... BUt that's not the point, we're mostly self moderating, since people who do end up being idiots for trolling purposes get banned, and those who are annoying usually change their ways and merge into the community.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 02:27:48 am »

I say; let the unenlightened grumble and moan about our eccentricities!  We're too busy having fun dancing about in our loincloths and thongs and slapping each other on the back!

I think they're incorrect in their opinion that the DF forums are full of undesirables, but then again I can understand that some people might misinterpret the personalities of some of our residents.  We can sound remarkably full of ourselves from time to time...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 02:47:29 am »

I'm simultaneously proud and miffed that I'm not only guy on the interweb who thought Biker Ben would make a great avatar.  Now I should probably change it... but mine's not animated so it's better.

Also, no comments about that guy's awesome pentagram?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:55:08 am »

Because he did it incorrectly... He did the Pagan Star... The Devil Star is upside down

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 03:11:00 am »

-Peter Moly: Though reverse... Whenever something fails now... it is 100% his fault no matter what happens. The best example is Black and White 2 which suffered development issues and budget issues something Peter couldn't actually prevent. Fable 2 could be struck by a meteor and people will find some way to blame Peter.

Well that has a lot to do with how Mr. Molyneux has the bad habit of going about spouting off how flawlessly super-awesome the game is going to be because of a single bloody feature that he happened to have his mind set on, and how that feature tends not to be as shiny as he was telling everyone it was.

I fault him not for the quality of the games but for being somewhat of a charlatan in his promotion of them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 06:03:27 am »

I am not saying that Peter is flawless

I just mean it has got to the point where everything that happens negatively is seen as his fault to the public... Even things beyond his control.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7