Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Nihilistic Existentialism  (Read 9626 times)

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SomethingAwful
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2008, 07:29:15 pm »

Oops, I forgot to mention, accusing people of things isn't going to help, if anything it will only cause more misunderstandings and encourage a flame war. I don't think we should accuse anyone of trolling or flame baiting, and if you think someone is genuinely trolling you can report them to the moderator, the "Report to moderator" button is there for specifically that reason.

Like I said before, ignore it all, go back to your lives and fortresses and forget it was ever discussed.

We can't solve our problems by ignoring them.  :(

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 07:31:23 pm »

Like I said before, ignore it all, go back to your lives and/or fortresses and forget it was ever discussed.

Fixed.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2008, 07:34:45 pm »

Like I said before, ignore it all, go back to your lives or fortresses and forget it was ever discussed.

Fixed.

Like I said before, ignore it all, go back to your fortresses and forget it was ever discussed.

Fixed.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2008, 07:35:24 pm »

Oops, I forgot to mention, accusing people of things isn't going to help, if anything it will only cause more misunderstandings and encourage a flame war. I don't think we should accuse anyone of trolling or flame baiting, and if you think someone is genuinely trolling you can report them to the moderator, the "Report to moderator" button is there for specifically that reason.

Like I said before, ignore it all, go back to your lives and fortresses and forget it was ever discussed.

We can't solve our problems by ignoring them.  :(

Depends on the problem. This specific one? We can.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2008, 07:38:40 pm »

One funny thing I think Toady could do with banned Trolls

Is Trolls in Dwarf Fortress should be able to have random names of Forum Trolls!

Though... as cool as it is, he probably shouldn't...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2008, 08:06:24 pm »

Yeah, easter eggs like that are very jarring to a roleplayer's suspension of disbelief.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2008, 08:30:36 pm »

+++++
++T++
+++++

Moin?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2008, 09:39:30 pm »

Exactly.

Moin, Troll appears before you.

Moin, Troll:  im moin

Moin, Troll:  im gonna kil u irl lol jk
Shoes...

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 04:40:40 am »

If we were going to get a moderator, my bet would be on Janus getting the job, but thats unlikely due to the fact he's got a full-time job with the taleworlds forums, and knowing that Mount and Blade is going to go retail in only a few months... BUt that's not the point, we're mostly self moderating, since people who do end up being idiots for trolling purposes get banned, and those who are annoying usually change their ways and merge into the community.
Yeah, if I were actually offered any sort of moderator position I'd have to turn it down. I just don't have the time to commit to it.

That said, I do think that having a global moderator or two added on at some point would be a good idea. Just not me.  ;)
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 07:37:10 am »

Exactly.

Moin, Troll appears before you.

Moin, Troll:  im moin

Moin, Troll:  im gonna kil u irl lol jk

Then

Nat,Adventurer: I'm going to slay you! You nasty Troll!
Moin, Troll: Y34 Y34. m3 m0In
Nat,Adventurer: Augh! My ear hurts! Such nasty accent!

Nat,Adventurer brain crashed!

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 09:26:02 am »

Goons telling you you need more moderation is like the elves telling you how horrible you are for cutting down trees--neither surprising nor worth listening to.  Heavy-handed moderation is SA's gimmick.

Bingo. Pay no attention to SA's sterile, self-congratulatory groupthink. There's nothing worse than a pack of hardcore nerds who feverishly believe that they're far superior to other nerds.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 12:14:38 pm »

There's nothing worse than a pack of hardcore nerds who feverishly believe that they're far superior to other nerds.

Are you talking about this forum or SA, cause I honestly can't say

Some of the posts in some threads here are so nauseatingly elitist that it made me consider not reading this forum anymore.  However, I'd lose the pleasure of Toady's (as well as some nice other people's) posts, so I just try to ignore the most offending people.

Also, it's pretty sad that some complain about SA trolling (big deal) and then troll back.

But whatev, the internet is sirious bizness, eh?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:16:10 pm by Krash »
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 05:08:22 pm »

There's nothing worse than a pack of hardcore nerds who feverishly believe that they're far superior to other nerds.

Are you talking about this forum or SA, cause I honestly can't say

Also, it's pretty sad that some complain about SA trolling (big deal) and then troll back.
I'm not trying to pick a fight, because your post made some sense, but wouldn't you agree that your starting line (and message) was a bit offensive/trollish? Considering the following line up there, wouldn't a trollish post make your message as sad as the others?

From now on, this post isn't directed to Krash or anyone else in particular. The quote and answer became an intro for general thoughts (as in "This is what I do") about not getting pissed off with people on the Internet. This might not be the best place for this, but here it is now.

My point here (like with the quote) is that things can be interpreted to be trolling or other foolishness when you don't know what was the intention of the author. I (try to) fight against messages that seem elitist, offensive (and/or trollish) by thinking about them in different context and by trying to figure out the writer's point in the post. I admit that there are people who make posts that do not have a point and are intended to offend people, but there's no reason to have that as the default assumption about posts by certain authors or of a particular subject, because then even normal messages will seem offensive. I have a few times started thinking this way about some posters, but by reading their messages while trying really hard to mute my brain's prejudice, I have noticed on most occasions that these people were not that bad after all. Also it's very rare that someone would make a post with the sole purpose of being elitist. Most of the time elitism is unintentional and I assume that people don't want to be elitist (I wouldn't, but I might be wrong), so they should be told (not screamed, shrieked, yelled or shouted at) when they're doing something that seems elitist.

Seriously, why do people think that getting completely pissed off and shouting at each other's faces would make things better? The usual answer here is something like "I can't help it, it's the human nature!" I respond to it by saying: 'Then you must have tried to prevent it, right?' It might be easy to yell at people on the Internet, but if you aren't only happy when you get to bash people, why would you do it? What if you let the 'post'-button alone this time and let the angry post disappear, would it be so horrible to not let the world know that you were offended?

It would be great if people tried to leave some space in their brain for rational thinking even if someone says something they do not agree with.

Words mislead easily, especially if everyone isn't from the same country (and area) and don't speak the same native language. Since English is not my native language and because I'm not trying to offend anyone, try not to take this post as a personal insult, but try to catch the message without falling over and hurting yourself on my brain's mishaps.

P.S. The message in this post might not be a new thing to say, but it's an important thing to say.
P.P.S. I understand that people are different. This is my opinion and you are completely free to criticize this post, probably without saying anything insulting.
P.P.P.S. I'm glad if someone gets something out of this (or even reads it completely through), but even if no one does, at least it was interesting and fun to write this.   :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 07:46:25 pm »

"It would be great if people tried to leave some space in their brain for rational thinking even if someone says something they do not agree with"

One time I was on the internet and that happened... No wait that was a dream

My peaves of internet arguements (Rant alert)
1) Everyone who does not agree is closed-minded: There seems to be this powerful myth on the internet, that arguements (such as for Science) are so powerful that you could only disagree by ignoring them.
2) Lets Feed the Trolls: People as a whole don't seem to ignore trolls... the most transparent troll ploys have 90% accuracy rating
3) If Flamewars were a gun it would have a hairline trigger: Some topics just seem to lead to flamewars... In the Spore GFAQs forums just mentioning Religion for ANY reason will start a flamewar.
4) Santa Vs. Building: Lets face it, while a Vs topic can be fun once in a while... Arn't we ALL tired of hearing about how Sonic and Sephiroth can apperantly destroy the universe? The overabundance of Vs. Topics especially using the SAME characters is annoying.
5) These two things are EXACTLY the same!: Alright I HATE when people compare two things as if they were the same... Fable is NOT similar to Oblivion... Morrowind is NOT the perfected version of Fable.
6) The Best way to stop Anti-Piracy is to Pirate EVERYTHING!: This only annoys me... I dislike when people protest bad, expencive, or anti-piracy Games by Pirating it. Yes because the best way to complain that a game's anti-piracy is too harsh is to pirate it (Sarcasm).
7) Originality is overrated... Lets REHASH!!!: At this point it should be obvious I go on videogame boards most of the time. I LOATHE when people keep saying about how a videogame should be exactly like another one.
8) Stop insulting me by proving me wrong you dummy head!: Mysteriously a lot of the times people will think your insulting them by disagreeing... This will further be met by them insulting you. I once went through a 200 post arguement which ended in the person I was argueing with being banned and then threatening me with Moderation (In which nothing happened since I didn't flame or troll)
9) Co-co-combo breaker, Ascii Graphics time, All Caps = Annoying
10) STOP COMPLAINING!!! So says Big Brother!!!: Complaining is perfectly alright in a certain
quantity. I dislike it when a big bunch of people flame the ONLY complaint topic in the whole forum and say that they shouldn't be complaining at all. (I can understand if they argue that their complaints are null and void... but to say you shouldn't complain in the first place)
11) Too Much complaining: Sometimes when a game is unpopular enough... the board is TOO full of complaints. Complaints should NEVER outnumber any other form of topic.
12) All Reviews are biased: Any game that doesn't seem to get a high rating is considered incorrect by the community and in deserving of being burned at the stake.
-Note: I consider 0/10 reviews to be more helpful then the standard 10/10 review.
13) The Score is ALL that matters: Most people seem to skip straight to the score (which is secondary to the article) rather then read what is written and take that into consideration towards why someone didn't like the game. I remember once people complained that Katamari Damacacy got a bad rating, but the Review said the music was annoying... Frankly anyone who finds the music annoying really would hate the game (I love the music! "I want to roll you up into my life")

Ill stop this rant... I love ranting :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2008, 07:51:46 pm »

14)  Stating opinion as fact.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7