Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ait Breathing Fish(Not a lungfish)  (Read 2338 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Ait Breathing Fish(Not a lungfish)
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:54:28 pm »

I've decided to make an aquarium in my ocean fort, which I hope one day will become dwarflantis. So, I've got a water source, which I drained so its nonexistant right now. I've made two more aquariums for the aquarium and they have fishes in them, a hake and a mussel. The fish were put in BEFORE the water was because the water source has been drained, but the fish are still alive.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Ait Breathing Fish(Not a lungfish)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:32:24 am »

Well, vermin don't really seem to react to much of anything...  I mean, if a roach can wade through magma, there's nothing saying a fish can't breathe out of water.

Valandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:48:05 am »

But roaches are indestructible so it isn't strange that they survived magma

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:17 am »

I bet this is just another facet of the general problem that creatures in cages, etc. are effectively in stasis.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:33:48 am »

But roaches are indestructible so it isn't strange that they survived magma

CEASE YOUR SPREADING OF BLASPHEMOUS FOLK-SCIENCE!!!

Cockroaches are no more indestructible than your average mosquito. They just aren't affected too much by anything (radiation-wise) other than the highest dosage of radiation. There are quite a few other insects that are equally, or even more resistant to radiation. (Mythbusters = SCIENCE.)
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:01:18 pm »

Mythbusters is not science.  They pretend, but they don't do things right half the time.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:24:01 pm »

Mythbusters is not science.  They pretend, but they don't do things right half the time.
In other words, they don't get the results you thought you'd see.  You were part of that plane-on-a-treadmill flamewar weren't you?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:46:47 am »

No, I wasn't.  They however are still correct in that the plane would take off.  I heard a radio interview after that show that explained it in layman's physics.

Here, this article explains it nicely: airplane on a conveyor belt.

I don't watch the show (often, or recently) so I don't have any examples of things I think they did wrong.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 01:00:10 am »

You don't need the results to find out whether or not Mythbusters is scientific... You only need to look at the way they're going about things, what they do, and what they don't do.  Scientific method.

I've seen a few shows where they simply have not performed relevant experiments. 

That's not to say the show isn't awesome, it's just that it shouldn't be called actual science.

And if you believe roaches are not indestructible, you obviously have never tried to kill one.  You can step on that damn thing five times before it slows down, and that's not even killing it.  If you can manage to get some sort of edge into the midsection and then grind it around a bit, you have a fair chance of killing it.  But even then it might last a few more moments...   Just long enough to offload all its little cockroach eggs into the sole of your shoe, causing you to leave a trail of ticking timebugs wherever you go.

Mosquitoes just go squish.  But then again, they are smaller than the average cockroach. 

Except for the Giant Norwegian Mosquito, that is.  You know, the national bird?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:57:18 am »

Mythbusters did a lot of things wrong, but they mostly make up for it with sheer explosive power. They're nowhere near as bad as Brainiacs...

One thing that I couldn't understand was with the rotor-pack they made. I don't know the exact text (damn russian dubbers) but from what I gathered, the engine hit the redline and they couldn't get enough lift. Then why in the seven blazes did they set up transmission ratios so that the fans were rotating slower than the engine? I mean, they were passing power from a thinner axle to a larger "pulley" that connected to the rotors. It's all good for a model chopper, because the small electric engine can get a lot of RPM but not enough torque. But in a rotorcraft, you need RPM more than torque, because the rotors are smaller. I just don't get something important, either about avionics or the show. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 03:03:49 am »

Cockroaches are easily killed.
1) Foot smash works fine, you must have a very light weight, Kagus.
2) "Mashenka" white liquid kills them in thousands. I got rid of them in a week when I moved in my new flat.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:19:29 am »

You are forgetting where we live, Deon. Our cockroaches to their cockroaches are like an Oka to a Hummer H2.
And while it's possible to kill very many cockroaches using a variety of methods, it is nigh impossible to exterminate them wholly, as they are very adaptable.

(not wholly off-topic, but...  I find it fun how well the topic of cockroaches fits in the "bug reports" forum :) )
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 06:27:07 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:34:10 am »

There's also about 55 different species (30 in urban areas).

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 11:19:44 am »

Only in DF can you go from talking about fish to cockroaches, and from dwarves to The Penguin. Gotta love it :)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 12:18:26 pm »

(not wholly off-topic, but...  I find it fun how well the topic of cockroaches fits in the "bug reports" forum :) )

strangely enough, they're called "bugs" because thats what the first ones were... back when they used vacuum tubes, creepy crawlies got into the systems and caused havoc, hence they are  "bugs".

Vic
Pages: [1] 2