Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toady Responsiveness  (Read 1394 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady Responsiveness
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

I'm not quite sure which discussion board category this question would go in but this seems like the closest relevant one.  How often does Toady actually respond to threads. Specifically to those in the suggestion discussion board?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Toady Responsiveness
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

How often does he respond?  Only when it is absolutely necessary.  How often does he read?  VERY often.

Why do you ask?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

I read all of the suggestions.  Doing the forums in the way I do now (mostly reading and replying to some bug reports) takes long enough (today it was an hour and a half) that I can't really get involved in a lot of conversations, as much as I'd like to discuss suggestions and everything else.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>How often does he respond?  Only when it is absolutely necessary.  How often does he read?  VERY often.

Why do you ask?</STRONG>

Why do I ask?  Because I'm curious.

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I read all of the suggestions.  Doing the forums in the way I do now (mostly reading and replying to some bug reports) takes long enough (today it was an hour and a half) that I can't really get involved in a lot of conversations, as much as I'd like to discuss suggestions and everything else.</STRONG>

Interesting.  Thanks for the clear response.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I read all of the suggestions.  Doing the forums in the way I do now (mostly reading and replying to some bug reports) takes long enough (today it was an hour and a half) that I can't really get involved in a lot of conversations, as much as I'd like to discuss suggestions and everything else.</STRONG>

Out of curiousity, (although I'm sure you have) did you read the "top 3 suggestions" thread a little while ago? Here's the thread: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=003407

And more importantly, did you consider the suggestions or are most of them already on a list of "to-do?"

I don't mean to nag or interrogate, since I know you work hard. I'm just curious.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>

Out of curiousity, (although I'm sure you have) did you read the "top 3 suggestions" thread a little while ago? Here's the thread: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=003407

And more importantly, did you consider the suggestions or are most of them already on a list of "to-do?"

I don't mean to nag or interrogate, since I know you work hard. I'm just curious.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]</STRONG>

Rawr don't derail my thread.      :p  Anyways he did say he's read "all" suggestion threads so I would assume so.  The last part I can only speculate so I won't get into that.  

Now on to your own motives.  Perhaps the question seems to direct for you to be comfortably make your own thread directly questioning Toady to the issure?  So direct that it's as if you are attacking him or perhaps might create the tone in which you feel as if you are pushing aka. forcing Toady to do what you want him to do?  From your tone I can assume that you align your status to be much lower than Toady's so you feel as if making your own thread comfronting Toady to push him into a corner to do what you want would be a direct attack to his status?  For if Toady does not answer your thread that would mean Toady has forced your status significantly lower thus that of the forum community to a less severe extent.  You would of course feel as though Toady would feel to guilty to lowering your status as such thus forcing him to answer.  Thus does that mean you see an opportunity to use a related topic to push your question because it does not directly comfront Toady thus if he does not answer he neither lowers your status much nor does it make Toady feel guilty, or not as guilty, if he chooses not to answer?

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Ghostpaw ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

No, he's asking a related question so he doesn't have to clog up the forum with extra threads.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>
Now on to your own motives.  Perhaps the question seems to direct for you to be comfortably make your own thread directly questioning Toady to the issure?  So direct that it's as if you are attacking him or perhaps might create the tone in which you feel as if you are pushing aka. forcing Toady to do what you want him to do?  From your tone I can assume that you align your status to be much lower than Toady's so you feel as if making your own thread comfronting Toady to push him into a corner to do what you want would be a direct attack to his status?  For if Toady does not answer your thread that would mean Toady has forced your status significantly lower thus that of the forum community to a less severe extent.  You would of course feel as though Toady would feel to guilty to lowering your status as such thus forcing him to answer.  Thus does that mean you see an opportunity to use a related topic to push your question because it does not directly comfront Toady thus if he does not answer he neither lowers your status much nor does it make Toady feel guilty, or not as guilty, if he chooses not to answer?
</STRONG>

I didn't read this paragraph, but I swear I see the word toady atleast thirty times.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

Uhmmm.. Ghostpaw... Cool down mun.. nobody 'owns' threads here.. And it was, like Kagus says, a related, and thus quite normal response. Your reply showed no respect for the other poster. Think before you post.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

Easy, he just wanted to write a lot of words.  He doesn't mean anything aggressive by it.

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

At the df meet-up awhile back Toady definitely said he reads all of the suggestions on the suggestion board. He's a good guy and I think it's pretty cool that he has made that commitment to us.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Easy, he just wanted to write a lot of words.  He doesn't mean anything aggressive by it.</STRONG>

Hmm indeed.  The last thing I expected was such aggressive response.  I thought I was being witty.  Guess its the sort of thing you need to know certain information to understand the joke.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:17:00 am »

I'm not sure this thread could be derailed once it arrived at its final scheduled station at post 4.  After that, things just tend to go on freely for those that drop by.  I guess people sometimes ask me questions on threads that I've already popped into, since I'm more likely to see them (and it's about to happen again), but I don't see that as a problem if the thread is more or less done.  I try to answer all of the direct questions I see, and that hasn't overloaded me yet.  It would if everybody wanted my feedback on their suggestions.  Anyway, I don't think it has anything to do with status or anything like that.

I've looked at the "3 suggestions" threads, and when zagibu hands me something I'll reply to them specifically at that point I guess.  Of the six that have been picked so far, and the other top suggestions, many are on to-do and some of those that I've talked about in the past in terms of feasibility or difficulty are pretty far down the list.  Lots of people are participating there and I'll give the results weight as I would that many independent suggestions, though I won't be able to jump on all of them immediately, since some of them are difficult/premature.  Going into the specifics might disrupt the vote, so I won't unless they agree to it over there.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 05:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>

Hmm indeed.  The last thing I expected was such aggressive response.  I thought I was being witty.  Guess its the sort of thing you need to know certain information to understand the joke.</STRONG>

Well, let's just say it's a miscommunication then.
I didn't quite catch the joke, and you interpreted my reply as aggressive, which I honestly did not intend. Sorry for that.
No hard feelings.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

The thing I still wonder is exactly how much he reads outside the suggestions and bug reports.
Because quite many of the forum stories I am sure could provide just as good suggestions as Threetoes stories.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: [1] 2