Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Democracy: A Multiple Choice Voting Fortress  (Read 6759 times)

notxmania

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Democracy: A Multiple Choice Voting Fortress
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »

I've decided to be daring and try a somewhat new style of fortress game, multiple choice. You may have seen this in the famous adventure mode thread "Death and Glory", but I'm going to do my best to transfer it to fortress mode.

I'd rather not give a huge backstory at the start, as we're starting absolutely from scratch. I may edit this later if this takes off, however.

Now then, the first order of business is to pick a location. I'm getting one with magma no matter what, but I'll try to get other features if possible.

So, do you want a...

A: Desert
B: Foresty mountainside
C: Ocean Coast
D: Glacier
E: Other (Fill it in....)

Also, tell me what you think of this kind of game, if you could.
Screw this I can't think of a sig and this will be an eternal reminder of my writer's block and frustration.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Democracy: A Multiple Choice Voting Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:21:45 pm »

Whoohoo .. first ..

I would like a Desert Environment :)

And I like the Idea of a multiple choise fortress.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 08:01:30 pm »

Ocean coast! Those are the funnest!

(I.E. Skeletal whales)
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Drakon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopeless cause
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:09:50 pm »

I myself, have also read that epic thread.
I guess it would be a combination of A and E: Haunted/Sinister Desert, for those undead and nasty types  ;D

Yay for first post and finally registering!

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 08:27:52 pm »

Another vote for haunted/sinister/terrifying desert.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 09:00:18 pm »

Haunted wooded mountain.
I just think it's a good mix of having stuff to deal with, and being able to deal with stuff.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:39 pm »

Find a map where there is a massive continent filled with civilizations, and on the other side of the ocean are a few small colonies. Create the fortress on this "New World", growing a hatred of the nobles appointed to you without representation of the common worker. Sieze a caravan full of tea dressed as Goblins and start a revolution. Break away from the Mountianhomes and create a new nation of Freedom.

Of course then this would be a Constitutional Republic fortress, but meh.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 11:40:57 pm »

I suggest haunted foresty mountainside.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 12:39:25 am »

Desert. I have yet to see many threads about fortresses in the middle of deserts.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 03:04:04 am »

Of course evil is a must.

Glaciers and oceans are great and all, but yes, there haven't been many well-known desert fortresses.  And make sure it's actual sandy desert.  Get some real use out of your magma, and laugh at the elves when they demand you cut down no more than 100 cacti.

Bonus points if you can find a desert that actually freezes in winter.  Blow your dwarves' little minds.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:19:01 am »

I'd have to say anything with an evil forest...  Not haunted, just evil.  Haunted means everything's either dead or undead, but some other evil will actually add nasty creatures, along with those lovely phantom spiders and their webs.

Besides, should we not always pick the lesser of two evils?

notxmania

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 05:51:00 am »

Sorry if you think I'm cutting an important vote short here, but I can definitely see a majority for a haunted desert, and I've found a great desert location.

Sorry about the lack of features, but haunted deserts are a bit hard to find... We have all neighbors.

Now then, a bit more information with sufficient interest presenting itself.
Seeing that this will be a bit of an experiment, the story won't be particularly dramatic, and and times will break the fourth wall. Well, not really break it, but rather nudge it with references to game mechanics.

ON WITH THE STORY I SAY!

Unknown date
Democracy. Never heard of it until now. They say that instead of the person with the most wealth or inbred relatives, each person has equal power to choose what happens. A team of nobles in the mountainhomes will tell me the status of the votes when they come around. I'm horribly arbitrary, so I'll do all this unquestioningly.

We'll have to make preparations before we leave...and then there's the matter of the name.

Citizens! Help our brave settlers not die within the first year! And help with the much less important matter of the name!

Prepare for...
A: Survival (Food/Drink/Rounded skills)
B: Defense (Weapons/Martial skills)
C: Wealth (Metals/Anvil/Crafting skills)
D: Glory!!!! (This is Sparta)
E: Other

The names should be...
A: Wealthy-sounding
B: Desert-Sounding
C: Ironically Ice-sounding
D: Violent-sounding
E: Disgusting-sounding
F: Narcissistic-sounding
G: Musical-sounding
H: Other

Lot of options eh? I suppose this voting period will be a bit long as a result.
Screw this I can't think of a sig and this will be an eternal reminder of my writer's block and frustration.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 06:20:17 am »

For a goal, I say go for B) Defense, since it seems to be the hardest one to get around to.  Unless D) !!SPARTA!! is the army one, then do that.  I hope you're going to make enough food regardless, and making prepared meals should knock out both A and C.  But run booze on a razor's edge - it's a desert, lets make it feel like one.

For a name, definately C) Ironically Ice sounding.  Like Blizzardtongues or some such.  You did mean the name of the Fortress itself right?  If you're going to do something different for the group name, the best is H) hit random exactly seven times and keep it.

I'll try not to be this demanding anymore.  But no promises.  I like my democracies unrealistically responsive.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:22:05 am »

Since Glory is one of the biggest motivators in every form of government
I will vote for that :)

And for the name .. since it is highly predictable that glass will play a major role in this fortress
I would go with a glass or ice related name ( if clear glass is possible :)

The clear mountain of heat ..
The shiny Icicles

If we can also choose some dwarfes I would like a Gemforger who like to sell those treehuggers some shiny little trinkets ^^
with the name of Urist Shorastokath ( in honor my first double legendary mayor who died in a mining accident )
( Glassmaker 4, Gemsetter 4, Appraiser 2 )

pleeeeaaaaseee .. *tries to look like a cuuute little kitten* .. *thinks* .. uhm.. no  .. not a kitten ..
a lion .. or  .. a cute teddy bear .. no kitten .. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 06:51:21 am »

Goal: A) first (this is a *revolution*, remember?) then D)

Name: E)FreeDom sounding?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4