Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So my carpenters refuse to actually do carpentry  (Read 1150 times)

cursor101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So my carpenters refuse to actually do carpentry
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:10:12 pm »

So my Carpenters refuse to do any work that falls directly under carpentry. They'll chop wood, haul items, and just about anything else I appoint them to, but they'll avoid my carpenter's workshop like the plague. Even if the carpentry labor is the only thing turned on. If I check the workshop, nothing is active and no one is forbidden from using the shop. What's the deal?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So my carpenters refuse to actually do carpentry
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:13:03 pm »

Did you raise the skill level required? Try building a fresh workshop.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

cursor101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:21:19 pm »

I already tried making a second shop and that didn't change anything.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:48:54 pm »

Is the workshop actually accessible?  It could be blocked off by the workshop walls...

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »

If the workshop is full (of crafted items), they'll eventually refuse to work in it...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

cursor101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 06:52:51 pm »

Its the new shop so there's no clutter in it. Never been used. Its possible it could be inaccessible but unlikely. I have two points of access to it, and I'm sure there are announcements made when a carpenter can't find a path to the workshop. There is an unusually large amount of stone in front of both of the entrances and I'm having them cleared. I've only seen stone actually block a path once before.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:03:29 pm by cursor101 »

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:04:53 pm »

Make it so the workshop is only accessible through a door. Have a little extra room, wood stockpile in the extra space. Send a carpenter in as a military recruit, lock him in, undraft him, make him work. If need be, keep him locked in there dropping food and water in along with more wood as needed.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »

Its the new shop so there's no clutter in it. Never been used. Its possible it could be inaccessible but unlikely. I have two points of access to it, and I'm sure there are announcements made when a carpenter can't find a path to the workshop. There is an unusually large amount of stone in front of both of the entrances and I'm having them cleared. I've only seen stone actually block a path once before.

That is very.. very.. strange. What did you tell them to build?
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »

Something out of wood, I'd imagine ;)
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:44:21 pm »

I seem to recall small cages or something actually requiring Trapping.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

Ah, very true! I wasn't mocking you there, just saw a chance to say something that might make a few people laugh(Trust me, I've gotten laughs with much less funny comments before, compared to some of my jokes this one is a gem.)

cursor101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 08:04:58 pm »

Some traps are actually at the top of my queue so I'll check this out, though I'm pretty sure I've made cages before without having a need for cage traps or anything else related.

Cages are actually at the top of my queue so I'll double check on that. I'm pretty sure I've made cages before without any problem though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:07:29 pm by cursor101 »

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 08:11:28 pm »

Some traps are actually at the top of my queue so I'll check this out, though I'm pretty sure I've made cages before without having a need for cage traps or anything else related.

Cages are actually at the top of my queue so I'll double check on that. I'm pretty sure I've made cages before without any problem though.
On the other hand, you just disabled everything except carpentry...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 08:13:13 pm »

Wooden cages are fine. Animal traps require the Trapping skill.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

cursor101

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Wooden cages are fine. Animal traps require the Trapping skill.
Yeah this was definitely the problem. In my head traps and cages are pretty much the same thing so I overlooked it. Problem solved.
Pages: [1] 2