Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To my fellow Outpost Leaders  (Read 1311 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To my fellow Outpost Leaders
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:02:04 pm »

You have all heard the stories. Many of you have personally witnessed the truth behind the myth. The things our wretched brethren worship. The beings that lurk in the deep.

Yea, I write to you of that dark terror. Last winter my miners have found the blue gold. I ask you now, how best to prepare for whatever hells lie at the end of the vein.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To my fellow Outpost Leaders
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:14:23 pm »

Verily there is no defence against the depths. I have seen many a dwarf perish under the steely gaze, or in the multiple appendages, of these foul fiends.

Should you find the darkness at the end of the light, you will find the end of days unleashed upon the world.

No weapon can stop them, no dwarf alone could resist their power. The greatest weapon known to dwarves, the Armok Pulverizer, AKA the Drawbridge, is useless, and the lifeblood of the earth, magma, may even be ineffective (although it is surprisingly useful at times against them...).

I hear that our great arrows may pierce their thorny hide... but finding a dwarf mad enough to slaughter them is a greater challenge than the construction of a ballista in the depths.

Hark my words, those pits are foul. Best to stay clear of them... and kill any noble that dares question the miners for their fear.

Even if you do kill them, there will be other challenges. The last expedition I oversaw to reclaim a rich fortress encountered these beasts, only twenty of them and they were 70 strong, military dwarves all.

Every single one of them perished. Some by dwarven hands.

When the adamant stone is found, your fort is doomed. Either it will stagnate in success, or it will perish under might of the cancer of the earth.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

Wall it off. Seal it off and hide it behind as much stone as your masons can pile on top of it.

Then bide your time. Gather your strenght for the fear, although not without foundation, may be conquered. A solid army of well-trained and equipped dwarves can and will send shards of cold steel through even the most powerful foe from the safety of their fortifications. All it takes is patience and good preparation.

Just keep your calm and prepare for the day your fort will be strong enough to defeat the beasts and claim the precious treasure inside the shining caves.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »

Verily, thee thou forsooth.  Thy thy thou thee sooth ye reeve.  Thou cobbler thy thee thou thou thou.  Yea thee thou thy thee?  Nay, thou thou thee thee thee.

Sooth, thee thou thy smith verily thee.  "Verily thee" being thou thy yea nay sooth thou.

See, I can roleplay too.
Shoes...

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:00:49 pm »

Verily, thee thou forsooth.  Thy thy thou thee sooth ye reeve.  Thou cobbler thy thee thou thou thou.  Yea thee thou thy thee?  Nay, thou thou thee thee thee.

Sooth, thee thou thy smith verily thee.  "Verily thee" being thou thy yea nay sooth thou.

See, I can roleplay too.

>:( Come on, its only a bit of fun.

Even now I gather my warriors. Gem setters, peasants, leatherworking scum... before now, they had no purpose but heavy lifting; now they will be given crossbows and sent against the many, many, MANY limbed terrors!
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 07:13:16 pm »

Yeah, having fun was what I was doing too.
Shoes...

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »

Yeah, having fun was what I was doing too.

Fun is not allowed in my fortress.  You're sentenced to fifteen Hammerstrikes and 59 days in jail behind a locked door.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:35:56 pm »

You'll never catch me!

Candlejack!  In a few seconds I'll be mi
Shoes...

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 07:59:32 pm »

Hey now.

I actually had some good advice wrapped up in the roleplay.

D:

Logical2u cancels complain about forum-memes/cliques: stricken with melancholy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:06:16 pm »

I didn't actually read any of the responses, but how did you get 70 reclaim dwarves?  Is the number random or something?
Shoes...

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 08:14:01 pm »

I think 70 reclaim dwarves is the max, and it's based on prior population, wealth, and I think means of death.

The fortress had about 85 dwarves in it and around 2 million bucks in value, putting it towards the max of the reclaim. (I haven't tried to reclaim the fortress with 130 population and 10 million dollars in value... I don't want to hurt my computer D:)

Comparitively, I got 7 reclaimers when I tried to assault a goblin fortress for the 2nd time...

Reclaiming is pretty silly though. They all start as friends, so if someone dies, then they all get unhappy thoughts.

When half of the 70 die due to demon attacks, the unhappy thoughts take over.

Then you have berserk military dwarves to contend with.

I had a metalsmith/hammerdwarf that got a legendary name from striking down so many of his compatriots.

He fled to the aboveground farm and just chilled there til he starved.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 09:03:23 pm »

Hey now.

I actually had some good advice wrapped up in the roleplay.

D:

Logical2u cancels complain about forum-memes/cliques: stricken with melancholy.

I appreciate the advice. As I have said before,  General Rakusakir, leader of Omristoddom, shall give the order and we the demons will become indistinguishable from trees! Such will be the magnitude of arrows with which we shall pelt them!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »

Modifying things 5 years old is fun, right?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:03:26 am by Jackrabbit »

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 09:19:40 pm »

I appreciate the advice. As I have said before,  General Rakusakir, leader of Omristoddom, shall give the order and we the demons will become indistinguishable from trees! Such will be the magnitude of arrows with which we shall pelt them!
Alas, I am afraid it won't be so. Demons have the strange tendency to collapse in heaps of rotting flesh (or glowing cinders, apparently) when faced with vehement projectile-based arguments. So they make for terrible bolt racks, even though their death throes are truly amazing to hear, echoing through the halls of stone as pound after pound of cold steel become embedded in their bodies.

Good times. Just beware those who come from the firey depths, as they can still be a threat even when not in position to put their incandescent claws to good use. Many a foolish dwarf felt safe behind arrow slits or just beyond a moat, only to be burnt to ashes by the flames thrown forth by the creatures.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 09:33:12 pm »

Hey, you there! You got 12,000,000 dwarfbucks? Okay, I'll show you what I'm offering. Here in my hand is a book. Inside is the teachings of Gravity. Now, this seems useless on the horrors of the deep. Why, in the depths of the Earth, where would you find cliffs other than the chasm?

But lo, there is a secrect within this book. While I have yet to see the miracle blue gold myself, the cursed toumb of nightmares, I have seen the writings of those blessed by the gods to survive. While the depths do have a number if limitations when it comes to weapons of immsense power, there is one thing that we use every day, something that can cause the death of even Ironblood.

When you uncover the pits of despair, wall them off and dig out their surroundings. You WILL need the ground overhanging the chambers. Create a great earthen pillar, one resembling the hammer of Armok! You will collapse it onto the chamber, crushing the nightmares beneath the majesty of Dwarven egnineering!

Of course, I have never seen this attempted. It is a word of warning to whoever is crazy enough to open those cursed groves of chaos in greed. While this is a possibility, it would require the best Dwarven minds to construct such a holy structure of clensing.

Now included in this tome are plans for the entire fortress. Should the primary plan fail, a lever guarded in a closed vault hidden beneath the tombs of the dead heroes of battles past will cause the whole fortress to collapse into the pits. This will seal them again, saving the world from the horrors of the deep.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2