Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adjustable immigrant settings.  (Read 1944 times)

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adjustable immigrant settings.
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:34:08 pm »

Rather than just on/off, it would be nice if we could modify the calculations for how many immigrants we get, so people who want o slowly build up and choose to recieve fewer, while others could decide to get to the pop limit on the first wave.

I sort of enjoy the dynamics of a small fort more than those of a larger fort, bust turning off immigration altogether would slow it a bit too much.

And the inbreeding might get to me just a little.
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Adjustable immigrant settings.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 05:36:37 pm »

Seconded
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:54:13 pm »

This can be done by micromanaging population caps in init.txt. In one fort, every year or so I raised my population cap by 2-4 to allow a small burst of immigrants. Slow immigration was really fun and actually felt more realistic.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:03:52 pm »

The idea is to NOT have to do that.  By which I mean micromanaging the files.

Slower immigration would also make managing each dwarf more important, and you would probably end up with a fort full of dwarves you actually know rather than just a few that you know and a ton that you hope are doing the jobs you think they need to be doing but can't remember because the only time you ever edited them was when they immigrated or got a mood.
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:34:23 pm »

I'm aware this is necroposting, but there seemed no point in starting a new topic. We're closing in on a new version, and this is the kind of thing that seems like it would be fairly trivial to implement. Is there any chance we can ask God Toady One to implement this in the new version?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:21:30 pm »

This can be done by micromanaging population caps in init.txt. In one fort, every year or so I raised my population cap by 2-4 to allow a small burst of immigrants. Slow immigration was really fun and actually felt more realistic.

That didn't even work for me. Immigrants just came regardless and ignored the cap.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 03:37:55 pm »

That didn't even work for me. Immigrants just came regardless and ignored the cap.
There's a lag. They'll keep coming for a few years after the cap is reached, I think quitting and reloading the save ought to reset it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 05:49:27 pm »

fairly trivial to implement

*twitches violently*

Although an init option to multiply the immigration wave size by 0-100% would be kind of neat.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:13:16 pm »

We're also getting closer to the point where immigrants are going to be pulled from existing populations when factors line up rather than being generated on the spot.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:22:18 pm »

We're also getting closer to the point where immigrants are going to be pulled from existing populations when factors line up rather than being generated on the spot.

True, but that won't be for at least another release, which could be a good year or more away. So these stop-gap suggestions still have merit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:09 am »

fairly trivial to implement

*twitches violently*

Although an init option to multiply the immigration wave size by 0-100% would be kind of neat.
Would be easier to allow the user to specify the fort wealth to fort size function.  (100,1000, geometric) or (1000,2000, simple)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 10:04:24 am »

Being able to get just peasants if I so choose would be nice. RNG assigned labors for every damn guy in the population rarely coincide with the things they're actually good at or the kind of personality I want. I don't want happy butchers for instance since I have to let them idle most of the time and thus they become mayors and get bogged down with other crap instead of their job

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:10:47 am »

/signed.

Just a simple

[MAX IMMIGRATION SIZE=x]

would do. If your fort is incredibly wealthy, you'll still only get the max you set. If it's not wealthy, you still only get what you deserve.

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 12:00:31 am »

i would like very much receiving less immigrants per wave. Right now its always between 20-30 each time they come. And 70% of these are always completely useless..

If we could ask the town liason what kind of immigrant we need, the number we want and who we dont want..  it would allow us some control over their content and numbers..
Pages: [1] 2