Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary by action  (Read 1020 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Legendary by action
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

I figured this would be better off here in discussion than in suggestions, since I'm not really for or against it at the moment.

Currently, legendary status is simply a step up in standard skill progression, allowing people to eventually get a fortress full of rather unremarkable legendary dwarves.

Why not cap normal skill progression at grand master, or whatever the thing is directly underneath legendary?  In order to attain legendary status, the dwarf has to do something that deserves notice.  This could be s mundane as creating a certain number of masterpieces, or forging an artifact.  For military dwarves, they could train up to grand mastery with whatever weapon they've got, but in order to get to legendary status they would need to defeat a certain number of goblins, singlehandedly kill a megabeast or some other impressively fighty thing.

This would make it so that the less-skilled dwarves could have a chance, however minor, of reaching legendary status.  But since having a higher skill will increase the chance of masterpieces and lengthen the amount of time one can spend fighting with a megabeast, higher-level dwarves would still have an easier time getting there.

This is just a rough framework for how a system like that could work, and I thought it was an interesting enough idea to share.  Whether or not it actually belongs in DF is another matter.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary by action
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

An interesting and very cool idea, but if implemented it would need a balance.

For example, I think that having legendary skilled people becoming very rare would require some replacement for the old legendary status people, so that the new skill cap isn't lower than before, if that makes sense to you guys.

Limiting legendaries would suck because the new best average skill-level would be worse than before. I think it is a cool idea since legendary would actually be legendary instead of just very very good, but I would hate for all my champions to just be super axe-lords and all my legendary farmers to just be super good farmers.

I would say no.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

Agreed. What's the point of being legendary if everyone and their mother are.

I'd personally make the conditions higher, like a miner only getting legendary status by singlehandedly digging past the HFS, killing all the HFS pop-uppers, jumping into the HFS portal, and returning with the heart of Armok. That's legendary. Anything else is above average.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

I like this idea.

It could be neat to add certain specific abilities to legendary dwarves, as well.  Nothing too flashy, but it would make sense for a legendary craftsdwarf to be able to sell anything he makes for double price, due to his reputation.  I.E.  'It's worth paying 20,000 - it's an Urist.'

Legendary weaponsdwarves could get one last attack when fatally wounded or killed, that if it connects does five times normal damage.  If this results in the death of the aggressor, it could also be recorded as a historical event, with the two creatures listed as 'killing each other' on an engraving.

Just a couple ideas.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

To me in some respects... Legendary skills are somewhat balanced.

A Legendary Miner is FAR less useful then a Legendary Weapon/Armor/Metal(Smith)

It also takes a LOT longer to have a legendary Weaponsmith then a Miner.

Legendary Miners are a dime a dozen... But a Legendary Armor Smith cannot be replaced!

The only people I think actually need to have limitations on how fast they progress are the military units. Though it can be balanced in more ways then lengthening training times or the overly unbalanced crossbows/bows.

You have to remember that "Legendary" is just the term used for the highest level of mastery (that is shown). It isn't truely that of legends as it doesn't give them a title, which you actually need to earn, or make them any more prone to being spoken about unless they do things with their skills. So in some respects the only reason it is called "Legendary" is because you can whip so many Masterpieces out people will speak of you forever.

I guess if Legendary Dwarves ever got special abilities Id change my answer

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

I think Toady should just change the name, legendary is a level of fame not a level of skill.
Truly legendary stuff will have to wait until good repetition modelling.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>If it ain't broke don't fix it.</STRONG>

Point.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

I think we should add an "artisan" rating somewhere arround accompished so the higher ranks all move one spot. Legendary gets removed from the visible ranks and is shown grandmaster instead so you get grand master+5 as highest effective skill. Legendary will just be a costum title that replaces grand master for artifact makers without any actual skill changes.

As for military, surviving a martial trance? Those are about as suicidal as regular moods right now.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

I agree on the "just change the name" idea.

Keep everything, just make the highest rank called "Grand Master" (or whatever).

Legendary would be reserved for something else, such as an amazing feat (or several).

Athenspatch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

It's all about how you view it.  If you go out into a farmer's field in North America, chances are you'll find an arrow head.  If your very lucky, the one you find will be perfect.  Large tribes has artisans.  So your average arrowhead in a region that had a large tribe is 'Legendary' when found several thousand years later.  In reality, 'legendary workers' are just normal people.  It's the stone they leave behind that makes the legend.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

Legend(ary) is a term I often use in Dwarf Fortress to represent an animal or monster who is in the Legends section who normally wouldn't.

Basically named creatures.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>
Point.</STRONG>

There is nothing wrong with the name as it is right now, it's just a worthless change that will add nothing to the game, absolutely nothing at all besides satisfying a small whiny minority.

Just start calling your dwarves something besides legendary if it makes you happier and try to ignore their flashing icon.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>

There is nothing wrong with the name as it is right now, it's just a worthless change that will add nothing to the game, absolutely nothing at all besides satisfying a small whiny minority.

Just start calling your dwarves something besides legendary if it makes you happier and try to ignore their flashing icon.</STRONG>

XD @ how bitter you sound over such a simple thing

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

I have a fortress filled with legendary liars, comedians, consolers, etc.  The entire population is legendary, even the peasants and children.
I'm not sure how you can become superdwarvenly strong by talking.
Pages: [1] 2