Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous drink consumption rate  (Read 1383 times)

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ridiculous drink consumption rate
« on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:33 pm »

My fortress is 166 dorfies. It's not even winter. I couldn't believe my eyes when I had around 900 drink, only to notice awhile later that I had under 100. I figured that this wasn't possible so I did a small test

9:39PM - 305 drink. After no pausing,
9:42PM - 259 drink. and it aint slowing down. by the time my orders get approved, I'll be out. What gives?

update: 9:48PM - 212 drink

hmmm 5 minutes later and 160. Time to release the Hydra in the fortress for fun
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:54:16 pm by FlyingScissorKick »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous drink consumption rate
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:00:09 pm »

Do you have your booze stockpile somewhere near a magma vent?  Fire snakes can destroy wooden barrels.

FlyingScissorKick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:06:40 pm »

Do you have your booze stockpile somewhere near a magma vent?  Fire snakes can destroy wooden barrels.

No magma....

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 04:06:08 am »

I've noticed a similar thing in most of my forts dwarves will run out of either food or drink super fast. Often by late-summer Im scrambling trying to acquire more.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 04:13:06 am »

Just put on an extra farmer or 2 in a new 5*5 field, and new brewer, and you'll be right.
Magma is overrated.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:55:33 am »

Just put on an extra farmer or 2 in a new 5*5 field, and new brewer, and you'll be right.
Yup, just making more drinks usually solves the problem. Just be sure you've got the plants and add a new brewer. Also, for emergencies you can always make sure there's water avaible inside the fort, so instead of dying they'll just become less effective for a while (until you get the booze industry back on track).
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 05:21:22 am »

Maybe you've got one of the "guzzler" creatures in your fortress?

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 08:48:44 am »

A fort with that many dwarves needs multiple stills. My biggest fort has a population of 209. Three stills set to repeat more than keeps up with them. IIRC only two working on repeat in the same fort led to a slowly decreasing supply.

Basically get some stills working and some brewers to work them. Set on repeat and your problems should disappear pretty quickly.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 07:30:13 pm »

A fort with that many dwarves needs multiple stills. My biggest fort has a population of 209. Three stills set to repeat more than keeps up with them. IIRC only two working on repeat in the same fort led to a slowly decreasing supply.

Basically get some stills working and some brewers to work them. Set on repeat and your problems should disappear pretty quickly.

While this s the optimal solution, I have to ask...

Am I the only one who CONSTANTLY runs out of barrels?
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:35:14 pm »

While this s the optimal solution, I have to ask...

Am I the only one who CONSTANTLY runs out of barrels?

Set up two stockpiles: One that allows NO barrels, and one that allows only drinks. Thus, only drinks can be stored in barrels, and your barrel crisis is averted.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »

I agree with shadow arch magi however not entirly, generally you want to store raw plants and meat in barrels as well. Plants and meat go off alot faster then cooked meals so it can be a good idea even in a fortress with lots of cats (vermine usually get a bite off before dying and flies cant be hunted).

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 01:48:13 am »

I usually try to keep my stocks up around 2k when I've got a big fort (180ish).  2 legendary cooks/brews is all you need, just need to queue up some brewing and cooking every once in awhile.  I farm just to brew, then cook the seeds down to around 100 with whatever livestock I've got butcherable.