Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Machanisms Arc???  (Read 2268 times)

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Machanisms Arc???
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 05:53:13 pm »

So the golem dwarves were slaves?

No, most of the golems were actual golems. The "golem" in the story was actually the master armorsmith of the dwarves, who disguised himself to be able to spy in the enemy camp.

(There's a footnote pointing out that dwarven golems were common enough that anyone seeing a dwarf-shaped robot thing would assume it's a golem and not a dwarf in a suit. After the armorsmith reveals himself, he says that "a child of eight can create a golem".)

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 07:10:20 pm »

I made a thread quite some time ago about steam mechanics that had a very positive response.  I just thought I'd link to it as a suggestion for what kind of thing could be done in a mechanics arc.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5908.0

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 08:03:54 pm »

So the golem dwarves were slaves?

No, most of the golems were actual golems. The "golem" in the story was actually the master armorsmith of the dwarves, who disguised himself to be able to spy in the enemy camp.

(There's a footnote pointing out that dwarven golems were common enough that anyone seeing a dwarf-shaped robot thing would assume it's a golem and not a dwarf in a suit. After the armorsmith reveals himself, he says that "a child of eight can create a golem".)

Despite throwing this thing even father off topic, I always thought "even a child of eight can create a golem" was a pun on Talos's rise to power added by the storyteller rather than an actual comment on Dwemer society.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 09:06:39 pm »

I made a thread quite some time ago about steam mechanics that had a very positive response.  I just thought I'd link to it as a suggestion for what kind of thing could be done in a mechanics arc.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5908.0
It's a good suggestion!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 01:12:15 pm »

I was wondering about "dwarfpower"...

I know for a fact that screwpumps transmit power,
secondly I know dwarves can actively work them by hand.
Does this mean pumps can be used as a temporary stand-in for an eventual treadwheel that might be implemented in the future mechanisms arc? (read as suggestion!)
I suspect though that a dwarf inputs just enough power to work the pump, leaving no excess to be employed elsewhere by transmission, no matter how undwarvenly strong he/she may be.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 01:41:12 pm »

Despite throwing this thing even father off topic, I always thought "even a child of eight can create a golem" was a pun on Talos's rise to power added by the storyteller rather than an actual comment on Dwemer society.

Now that we're off-topic, I feel safe in mentioning that Tiber Septim didn't rise to power until about 3,000 years after the Red Mountain incident, after which the Dwemer couldn't have written the story.[1] The footnotes say that the story can be traced to the Dwemer, and quote the line from the original (Aldmeris) text: "A Dwemer of eight can create a golem, but an eight of Dwemer can become one."

Having said all that, I think the Dwemer might not be the best model for DF's dwarves, who are more practical and less completely freaking insane.

[1] Okay, maybe Yagrum Bagarn wrote it as a bedtime story for Divayth Fyr's daughters or something.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 01:47:38 pm »

I was wondering about "dwarfpower"...

I know for a fact that screwpumps transmit power,
secondly I know dwarves can actively work them by hand.

No.  Such a system (even with dwarves powering it) has 0 supplied power, but the pump will pump.
Pages: 1 [2]