Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic  (Read 13393 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2008, 06:46:38 pm »

This makes me think that we really need a sort of challenge mode, where you can build a fort on a pre-designed map, then hit a button that takes you to a spawn menu of sorts, that allows you to drop floods and magma and all manner of creatures wherever you want on the map, so you can test your fort.

EDIT: Plus, it'd be really handy for bug-finding and feature-testing.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »

Underwater civs would be easy. Just have, at worldgen, reverse the behavoir of water so that it fills from the top down and rename it air. Then, everywhere there would be water normally, there will be build-in-able nothingness and where there would normally be air is an impassible barrier of pseudo-air.

Course you'd have to change all fliers to aquatic and all aquatics to fliers. Amphibious would have to be amphibious and flier. And probably all sorts of other problems. Like unless you had the nodrink tag they'd have to 'drink' air. In buckets.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2008, 06:51:52 pm »

Underwater civs would be easy. Just have, at worldgen, reverse the behavoir of water so that it fills from the top down and rename it air. Then, everywhere there would be water normally, there will be build-in-able nothingness and where there would normally be air is an impassible barrier of pseudo-air.

Course you'd have to change all fliers to aquatic and all aquatics to fliers. Amphibious would have to be amphibious and flier. And probably all sorts of other problems. Like unless you had the nodrink tag they'd have to 'drink' air. In buckets.

Somehow, that just seems incredibly awesome, to me at least.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2008, 08:50:54 pm »

I think having burrowing monsters that don't leave tunnels, and burrowing megabeasts that do leave tunnels, would be the best way to handle it.  Monsters should be smart enough not to mine into wet/warm tiles, but their undead versions don't need to be so timid.  This means a skeletal monster could get through your moat, but since it doesn't leave a tunnel it won't flood your fortress.  A skeletal megabeast, however, could cause horrible horrible things.

This summation seems to be very interesting.  Supported, mining is currently a bit too safe.  Once you're underground, there's very little that can threaten the fortress, this needs to change.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2008, 10:15:06 pm »

Think it'd be simplest just to extend the HFS thing, pregenerated underground tunnel systems wherein nasty stuff lives, random treasure hoards, responsive baddies. All the tolkien-esque dwarven tragedies i can think of were "careless mining happens on umber hulk colony/goblin swarm. Something that'd be nice, tbh, is not having the eyes of god in fortress mode, can't think why somebody bothered with a tool like reveal when you can see the whole map anyway. might help with some peoples fps issues too, for that matter. Don't tell me, that's possible already.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »

Anyone remember Riven?  Anyone remember what the WATER in Riven did?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 12:30:06 am »

Oh heck yeah. Ok, i now see how that would be awesome.  :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

Most people who played the game probably missed it, but water, when heated started to float, until it got to a boiling temperature, at which point it subsided (and boiled normally).  Had to do with a bacteria that disliked heat and caused massive water tension and moved away from the head source.  Pots and pans on Riven had a top and a bottom to accommodate for this weirdness.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 10:16:08 am »

Most people who played the game probably missed it, but water, when heated started to float, until it got to a boiling temperature, at which point it subsided (and boiled normally).  Had to do with a bacteria that disliked heat and caused massive water tension and moved away from the head source.  Pots and pans on Riven had a top and a bottom to accommodate for this weirdness.

And they made cool 'tunnels' in the water with heat rings and stuff. Very awesome. I think Riven was the best in the series, but you can't deny the awesomeness of 360 viewing in later games. And Spire.  ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2008, 02:05:54 am »

And they made cool 'tunnels' in the water with heat rings and stuff. Very awesome. I think Riven was the best in the series, but you can't deny the awesomeness of 360 viewing in later games. And Spire.  ;)

....I hadn't even thought about the heat-ring tunnels, but yes, that's probably how they did it (it does look like ordinary plastic or glass tubing TBH).

The 360 viewing was nice, but the full 3D of Uru was the best (though the storyline of Uru wasn't my favorite--though it did have my favorite world: the one that changed every time you went to it).

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:30 am »

....I hadn't even thought about the heat-ring tunnels, but yes, that's probably how they did it (it does look like ordinary plastic or glass tubing TBH).

The 360 viewing was nice, but the full 3D of Uru was the best (though the storyline of Uru wasn't my favorite--though it did have my favorite world: the one that changed every time you went to it).

Actually, Myst V had full 3-d as well. There was some option to enable it, I believe.
Somehow, I managed to skip over Myst IV, whatever it may have been like.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2008, 11:12:56 am »

Play Myst IV! Spire is really cool!  :D

alertrelic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:18 pm »

How about making smooth/engraved walls and floors block burrowing creatures? The only problem would be creatures coming in from above.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2008, 02:53:53 pm »

How about making smooth/engraved walls and floors block burrowing creatures? The only problem would be creatures coming in from above.

I don't really see how this would work, logically. Smoothed stone isn't any harder then unsmoothed stone. If anything, it's thickness has been reduced. Although I can see stone walls and floors in a soil area blocking the soil burrowing creatures. And having metal floors/walls blocking the rock burrowing creatures would make sense too.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2008, 08:01:59 pm »

These things would be nice, but id also like some good underground things, like finding ancient buried buildings, gold coins from the age of myth, and breaking into ancient, sealed burial chambers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]