Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic  (Read 13410 times)

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 11:28:20 am »

EDIT: OOOoooh. Okay, I see what you're saying. Still, to balance even that out, the HFS's could burst through the single tile wall by themselves. There. Problem solved.

That doesn't...really...work either.

Uhur? How so? Explain, please, for I fear that I failed to grasp your initial disagreementification.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 11:50:40 am »

Right now if you break through you get to see where all the other edges are and can't make the same mistake twice and then wall up the area once.  If it's "sounds hollow" you'd have to check repeatedly for it, and then do a LOT of rewalling:every time you get too close.

Oh, HFS tip: break into the Pits by digging into a lake.  You'll be able to wall up the hole and no sneaking demons will get out because they don't want to jump down the 1 level drop that used to be filled with water to get into your tunnels.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 11:58:38 am »

Wait, now I'm more confused... The problem is you'd have to do more rewalling? Isn't that harder? I fail to understand even your initial disagreement.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 12:04:21 pm »

You'd still get a system where you can mine adamantium safely, you'd just need a mason on hand. Now if someone could rationalize a reason for HFS sounding solid (really compressed air? Magic?) then Toady could (with difficulty, I think) code it so that "hollow" messages are suspended in that instance.

Or you could ditch the whole thing and have dwarves getting randomly killed by a lot of undergound beasts, which seems in the spirit of the game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 12:14:51 pm »

Or you could ditch the whole thing and have dwarves getting randomly killed by a lot of undergound beasts, which seems in the spirit of the game.

Second

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 02:09:40 pm »

Anything that is endolithic should be quite slow, not very common, or very weak.

Vermin or other nuisances should be more common, like bugs or worms.
However, if digging through the dirt, they might cause sections of a fortress to collapse by loosening the hardened earth.

Very rarely should anything that might hurt your dwarves appear, and walled areas should be completely immune to them unless they can destroy buildings. Rocky areas should be safe, for the most part, with an exception every once and a while.  Plus, what the hell would want to mess with a legendary miner?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 02:32:46 pm »

You've struck living stone!

Living stone strikes you back!

Urist McMiner has been struck down.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 04:22:27 pm »

Anything that is endolithic should be quite slow, not very common, or very weak.

Vermin or other nuisances should be more common, like bugs or worms.
However, if digging through the dirt, they might cause sections of a fortress to collapse by loosening the hardened earth.

Very rarely should anything that might hurt your dwarves appear, and walled areas should be completely immune to them unless they can destroy buildings. Rocky areas should be safe, for the most part, with an exception every once and a while.  Plus, what the hell would want to mess with a legendary miner?

Now you're merely talking balance.  The default creatures Toady would implement might follow these rules, but modders might like putting gigantic stone golems at random throughout the mountain, crushing any who might disturb them.  And if a modder wants, why not pepper the mountain with them at very high density, so that it's almost impossible to avoid them? 

Or, you could make a creature that's VERY rare, maybe even megabeast rare, and have it's itemcorpse be an artifact of such wonder and power that it practically makes you a god?

The point is, the mere addition of the tag makes all sorts of ideas possible.  The implementation of how specific creatures would work... that's up for grabs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 06:45:37 pm »

I'd also like to see a tunneling creature. Some sort of Xorn or something that slowly chews it's way through rocks randomly, digging out a passageway, with ramps leading up and down as it meandered throughout the area. You could then find a passageway that tells you a lot about your mountain. Or maybe it finds YOU, and rampages through your fort. Or maybe just runs away, if it's benign.

It could also flood you with water or magma if the xorish thing dug through the wrong tile! Which could be fun. Although I could see them avoiding warm and damp stone.

Also, it could be set to [EAT_SOIL] [EAT_ROCK] [EAT_ORE] to add interesting effects. Have one type that only wanders through the soil, like a giant earth-worm. One that eats only rocks, going around veins and clusters of ore as indigestable. And another that will eat through anything. Although maybe Adamantine should always be indigestible, so you don't have HFS running around without warning of any kind.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 07:19:51 pm »

Can you imagine a rockworm digging into your meeting hall, then fleeing into the river above it? I'm not sure how workable it would be, I'm imagining loads of disastrous, unavoidable cave-ins, but that may be paranoid on my part.
Philosopically, if a worm hit upon some HFS, would that trigger the catastrophe? Hows it programmed?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 07:25:51 pm »

disastrous, unavoidable cave-ins

Sounds like Dwarf Fortress to me. But if rockworms avoid damp walls, you could have interesting behavior. Like players rigging up giant moats around their fortresses. Which people might do anyway, once sappers are in the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 08:41:20 pm »

Can you imagine a rockworm digging into your meeting hall, then fleeing into the river above it? I'm not sure how workable it would be, I'm imagining loads of disastrous, unavoidable cave-ins, but that may be paranoid on my part.
Philosopically, if a worm hit upon some HFS, would that trigger the catastrophe? Hows it programmed?

Adamantine is tough enough to contain the hfs... I think that it wouldn't be too hard to say that non-dwarves couldn't dig into it.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 04:02:14 am »

You've struck living stone!

Living stone strikes you back!

Urist McMiner has been struck down.

In Soviet Russia, stone mines you!
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 07:30:45 am »

Well, most of the things that would live underground would not take up enough space to tunnel out an entire tile.  I was thinking more along the lines of having them be able to actually move through the dirt tile.  A worm won't create a dwarf sized tunnel, it usually doesn't leave a tunnel at all.  However, tunneling would also be a great addition for the game.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 07:57:25 am »

...if rockworms avoid damp walls, you could have interesting behavior. Like players rigging up giant moats around their fortresses.

Dune much anyone? If these things are ever made, I am so genning a desert world with little to no water, tons of deserts, and sand worms :D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5