Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic  (Read 13403 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:20 pm »

I was looking at the wikipedia entry for biomes, and was suitably impressed that the DF entries for biomes are almost identical, sans the aquatic ones, and the endolithic zone.  Now, aquatic biomes won't be much use in game until we can have playable mermaid civs (that is, be able to actually build underwater) but the endolithic biome could be interesting.

No, I'm not asking for microbes to be put into the raws!  What I'm asking is that you could put the endolithic tag on a creature, and that creature would be placed, more or less immortal, inside the mountain encased in solid rock.  You'd be digging along, and encounter one more or less at random, where it could then wreak havoc in your fortress.  Think Uruk-hai from Lord of the Rings.

I'm also hoping for the rest of the aquatic biomes... just for completeness sake.  With RAWs to make underwater construction possible.   :)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:58:39 am »

I was looking at the wikipedia entry for biomes, and was suitably impressed that the DF entries for biomes are almost identical, sans the aquatic ones, and the endolithic zone.  Now, aquatic biomes won't be much use in game until we can have playable mermaid civs (that is, be able to actually build underwater) but the endolithic biome could be interesting.

No, I'm not asking for microbes to be put into the raws!  What I'm asking is that you could put the endolithic tag on a creature, and that creature would be placed, more or less immortal, inside the mountain encased in solid rock.  You'd be digging along, and encounter one more or less at random, where it could then wreak havoc in your fortress.  Think Uruk-hai from Lord of the Rings.

I'm also hoping for the rest of the aquatic biomes... just for completeness sake.  With RAWs to make underwater construction possible.   :)

Wouldn't the HFS be endolithic then?

Although the idea of digging down and finding 'something' on a smaller scale is still pretty neat.  There's a lot of suggestions for more underground variety running around, but I don't think I've seen a 'you've struck monster!' option

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »

Deep crow.
Shoes...

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:30:19 pm »

YES! We need this! I need a race of earthworms!!!!!!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 10:34:38 pm »

Hm.  You could even expand it to have [ENDOLITHIC_SEDIMENTARY], [ENDOLITHIC_IGNEOUS], [ENDOLITIC_METAMORPHIC], and [ENDOLITHIC_DEEP] (for HFS).  This wouldn't make the Balrog endolithic, as the Balrog is inside a cave in the adamantine, not encased in the stuff solidly, but you could set lesser demons as being endolithic, so they'd appear in the pits AND in the adamantine vein itself.  Or you could mod in Adamantine Golems, even Adamantine Collossi to be ENDOLITHIC_DEEP!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 10:36:28 pm »

For some reason an image popped into my head of a dwarf digging into a hollow space, and having tentacles comes out of the hole and grab him around the throat.

This needs to happen.
Shoes...

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 02:49:30 am »

Not putting [NOBREATH] [NOEAT] on endolithic creatures would be a great way of placing buried bones in your world too.

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 07:17:45 pm »

I think this is the simplest way to add below-ground threats to the game of all those I've heard of.  I like it.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:04:01 pm »

Urist Mcdwarfy cancels Dig: Interrupted by flesh-eating slime
Urist Macdwarfy has been struck down!

That said, endolithic monsters would be irritating to most players, but vermin are not out of the question.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:17:10 am »

You'd need to do a few things to make this not be horribly unfair and painful for the player:

Pause and zoom to the site of the unearthed monster when it shows up.
Have the monster sleep for a period before doing anything, so miners can run away.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:39:50 am »

This would balance out mining rather nicely, I think. 'Specially if you set up a system where, similar to warm and wet walls, you'd zoom to a dwarf who can "hear a hollow space on the other side of this wall."
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 12:56:09 am »

This would balance out mining rather nicely, I think. 'Specially if you set up a system where, similar to warm and wet walls, you'd zoom to a dwarf who can "hear a hollow space on the other side of this wall."

That specifically makes mining adamantine too easy.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:58 am »

Nah, that is good system.
You could be a coward and back out, forbid the chamber and run 100000000000000000 steps away!
Or you could be greedy and sacrifice your friends for the adamantine, and then run away!
Or you could play hero and killed in the process

This will consume n00bs easily (and me a n00b). So I don't vote yes nor no.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 01:06:12 am »

How so? I mean, you'd only get the warning when you were literally about to burst through the wall. You'd have already found the adamantine if you were about to hit the HFS, I'd think.

EDIT: OOOoooh. Okay, I see what you're saying. Still, to balance even that out, the HFS's could burst through the single tile wall by themselves. There. Problem solved.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 11:16:33 am »

EDIT: OOOoooh. Okay, I see what you're saying. Still, to balance even that out, the HFS's could burst through the single tile wall by themselves. There. Problem solved.

That doesn't...really...work either.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5