Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic  (Read 13387 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Completing the Biomes list - Aquatic and Endolithic
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 11:43:26 am »

If we let the various [EAT] tags take specific values, you could get interesting monsters who only ate one type of thing. Like Sand specific monsters, or rust monsters.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 12:05:02 pm »

Vermin around the HFS would be pretty sweet, like we have fire snakes around magma right now.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 12:44:26 pm »

Beware the rust monsters!
Don't those normally eat equipment? We'd need item degradation before hand (and a way to wipe off all the blood from weapons before that) before we put in a creature which accelerates the process.
Or does it just live in hematite veins? What a lonely life that would be.

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 02:15:45 pm »

I endorse more terrible monsters and unforseen consequences. I think it would be kind of neat to have a mid-range nasty burst up through the dining room floor at mealtime, and it seems like the sort of thing that dwarves sometimes have to deal with.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 03:54:18 pm »

No to anything that digs caves during gameplay!

For creatures trapped in stone, however, I imagine they'd be placed entombed in a stone tile - once uncovered, you get the pause-zoom warning, and they slowly 'mine' their way out of that one tile they occupy, breaking free in an amount of time dependent on how hard it is to mine through whatever they're trapped in(so they'll escape a soil tile faster than stone). Or you can re-designate the tile to be mined, and let them out early, if you really want to.

So you stumble upon a buried Endolithic Terror, and you can see the stone tile it's sitting in change as whatever's in it slowly breaks free, giving you a little time to react. Once free, however, it can't mine - it could, in fluff terms, only break through the relatively thin walls of it's 'hollow tile'.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 04:09:37 pm »

Yes to anything that burrows in gameplay!!! A Init option could disable but we seriously need sappers, sandworms, and "Umber Bulks"
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 04:33:26 pm »

Yes .. I vote Yes to ..
but as for sandworms .. the don't mine and leave tunnels ..
they swim through the sand more like snakes ..
.. and having said this, it should be impossible to dig tunnels in sand without building
proper holding structure :)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 06:22:11 pm »

I approve sandworms, as long as they do not make fortresses into swiss cheese given sufficient population and time. In other words, they don't leave tunnels.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

But the Tunnels are the entire point of having them. Of course you wouldn't want a lot of them (only semi-megabeasts numbers perhaps) or they could chew the world down to rubble. However, perhaps may only expand their tunnels when disturbed or they grow hungry, preferring to not waste the energy. Antmen and certain other creatures could use some hives and tunneling would seriously help with that. Besides those expansive burrows would form the basis of later dungeons as kobalds or other cave dwellers moved in and expanded and re purposed the caverns for their usage.

In this way burrowing creatures would serve as the basis for the entire dungeon crawling environment which could use some expanding upon in order to match that of the other, more traditional rogue-likes.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 09:05:28 pm »

Burrowers that collapse the tunnel behind them, like sandworms, are awesome.  Burrowers that leave a tunnel behind them for you to follow, like Purple Worms, are also awesome.  Both should be -possible-.  Perhaps the latter should be a megabeast.  Aren't megabeasts supposed to make you tremble anyway?  A Purple Worm digging a mess through my fort would certainly make ME tremble.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:46 pm »

Perhaps Some could even leave behind flowing tides of sand, magma, or water or acid. Perhaps some leave behind precious substances to disuade the player from killing them.

Miner "Mylord we have corralled a wandering greatworm and are currently gorging it on the minerals require for maximum spice production. Noble: "Excellent I shall require two kilos delivered to me with a fresh hooker this time tomorrow, or its your head on the anvil!" Miner "Hmmn yess Mylord"

Lathana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battledawn! Awesome game
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:18 pm »

Perhaps the "leaves a tunnel behind" could be switched on and off with a tag?
The Dungeon Master goes around pantsless, wearing like fifty cloaks, he's clearly unstable, and I wouldn't ask him too many questions.  You might set him off.

DF  in space!

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 10:49:27 pm »

It would be cool to have a growing antman hive that slowly grows and eventually encroaches on the dwarf fortress, causing conflict. Burrowing creatures is a really good idea.

RP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 10:49:45 pm »

For some reason an image popped into my head of a dwarf digging into a hollow space, and having tentacles comes out of the hole and grab him around the throat.

This needs to happen.

Oh yeah. OH YEAH. OH YEAH.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008, 10:52:52 pm »

Quote from: RP
Oh yeah. OH YEAH. OH YEAH.

Ahem. Please stop having orgasms on my nice clean forum. Thank you.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5