Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hidden talent  (Read 2055 times)

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hidden talent
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:25:29 pm »

This is some random thing that just occurred to me, but maybe it would be a fun addition to Fortress Mode one day (definitely in the bloat category though). What if immigrants to a fort occasionally had (per the title) hidden talents? Basically, the talent would be tied to a skill that they have 0 XP in, but the first time they use the skill, they get a huge XP boost and jump straight to Talented, and the camera would autozoom as with a Mood. Discovering a talent would be an event worthy of engraving.

I guess that the concept is more appropriate for artistic skills than skills governed mainly by experience. It could be a fun hidden thing, though I guess a lot of players would just use memory hacking to see who had talents.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden talent
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:20 pm »

Naturals? That would be a neat addition.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:44 pm »

I kinda like it.  I can't think of any comments right now, but I thought I should express my opinion at least a tad. :P

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:37:52 pm »

I like it, it'd give people a reason to KEEP immigrants.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:49:17 pm »

Then wouldn't it stand to reason that a Dwarf can have a... Non-hidden talent?

Maybe I am taking the term "Talent" too litterally
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:51:46 pm by Neonivek »

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:34 pm »

I love it. It keeps with Toady's personality system. /signed

Essentially you're asking for variable xp modifiers within the individuals against each different role. So for each role, an inidividual could have varying modifiers like Strength = 1.2 x XP, Normal = 1 x XP, Weakness = 0.8 x XP. I would wonder how such talents would be displayed? Skills and abilities are not necessarily related to personality. So it might be an extra set of variables in the (G)eneral screen of dwarf profiles. Which also makes me wonder: Should there be a leadership or social skill that is needed by someone in your fort to accurately know how good someone is in their job, legendary excepting? Like how the bookkeeper estimates material resources based on their skill, a Dwarven Resources skill would help estimate how good dwarves are at their job, and if they have any talents/weaknesses.

With such talents and weaknesses, a dwarf could have been doing his job for a very long time, but that doesn't mean he's any good at it, or may not have progressed in skill at the same rate as other dwarves.

Children could have a better-than-random chance to carry the same talents as their parents.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 10:58:55 pm by Faces of Mu »

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:03:11 am »

I'd like to see them gated by level as well, so a dwarf would have to reach a given level in the skill to see the talent. Or at least require novice level. Otherwise it would become S.O.P. to activate all immigrants' skills until they revealed their talents, and that is kinda lame. Plus even if you are a naturally gifted woodworker, you have to make more than one thing out of wood before it really shows.

Other than that, wicked idea. Urist has discovered a hidden talent for cheesemaking!
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:40 am »

...Urist has discovered a hidden talent for cheesemaking!

Urist has collided with an obstacle and died!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 05:23:07 pm »

This sounds great!

Urist: We're doomed! we have no military, and the enemy has far too many soldiers!
Bomrek: we're all just recruits!
Cilob: I don't care! CHAAARRRGE!

Urist Mcdwarf has discovered a hidden talent for wrestling!

Urist: Did you guys notice the goblins have very easy to dislodge arms?
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 05:29:50 pm »

They should have the ability to have their hidden talent be their skill when they come to a fortress... EVEN if it makes it their talent

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 05:37:58 pm »

This sounds great!

Urist: We're doomed! we have no military, and the enemy has far too many soldiers!

That brings up a question, would military skills also be able to be hidden talents?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »

Maybe anything could be a hidden talent, but some professions get a larger skill boost than others.
Think if someone had an adamantite related talent and arrived with the first wave, years before it became available and the suprise when it is revealed!
Eh?
Eh!

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 07:43:37 pm »

How about just make it so that every dwarf gains experience in each skill at different levels?
Maybe one dwarf has an aptitude for metalsmithing and so gains skill in it at 1.5x the rate, and maybe that same person isn't very apt for masonry and so has a .75x experience gain rate in that?  Also, there should be some way of determining their aptitude from their profile.  It does not need to be stated directly, but if someone loves 4 types of rock of course they're going to be an apt mason, stonecrafter, mechanic, or maybe architect.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 07:58:40 pm »

That fits in with a different suggestion I saw, don't remember what it was. Though it DOES fit in well with this one. Varying skill rates depending on how much they like the job, dwarven goals mentioned it I think. I like them jumping right to talented for this one though, and maybe sometimes their talent will be something they hate to do if both this idea and the other suggestion are integrated into the game. Like a dwarven pacifist, but he's got a hidden talent for wrestling.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:02:19 pm »

This sounds great!

I laughed quite hard at this.

However, I imagine some potential downsides...

Urist McPeasant has joined "The Stony Soldiers"!
Urist McPeasant has equipped -Silver Spear-
Urist McPeasant begins wrestling with Likot MacChampion
Urist McPeasant has discovered a hidden talent for Spearing!
Likot MacChampion cancels breath: no neck.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.
Pages: [1] 2