Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter Fortress  (Read 1260 times)

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starter Fortress
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:09:36 pm »

Now I don't know how well people will like this idea. But for those who can't quite figure out how to play right away and want to see some of the features that could be hard for them to make on their own. Why not have a couple saves that are small, working starter fortresses for those players to play around with and get and hang of the controls while not having to much to worry about right away.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »

Go for it.

Or were you asking for one?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FalloutBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:17:14 pm »

I got a lot of use out of that "My First Fortress" page on the wiki.

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:57:16 pm »

Go for it.

Or were you asking for one?

I am competent enough at the game to do it myself. I just figured it would be a good idea to help get some players over the hump.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:23 pm »

The "Your First Fortress" page is pretty much all the help that you need. And all the help I endorse.

It is much more fun to do the rest on your own.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:24 pm »

The "Your First Fortress" page is pretty much all the help that you need. And all the help I endorse.

It is much more fun to do the rest on your own.

That said, it's not exactly a terrible idea to have a visual example.
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:51:45 pm »

That could be helpful. If people don't want to use it, they don't have to, of course. What the forts could be are "challenges", like "Get a working food industry" or "Set the peasants as wrestlers and train them to skilled wrestler status". That could involve building beds, setting a barracks and whatnot. The fort they could download could have enough food and beer and dwarfs to get the job done, the noobs just have to focus on the challenge.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:04:19 pm »

I think Toady's got some serious plans for proper in-game tutorials and such. He's admitted it's a steep learning curve and I think he's said the in-game help isn't as useful as it could be.

<WARNING: The poster admits this is gross paraphrasing from a shoddy memory!>

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:09:43 am »

AFAIK, there was talk of putting in stuff to make the learning curve a lot easier in presentation arc.

That said, I believe that it could be a great help for newbs who want to get a look at how to design a working fortress. I know that when I first started playing, one of the main things resulting in my downfall was not knowing what to do or how to design my fort. In fact, my very first fort failed because I was too busy trying to perfect my bedroom design I didnt even make it to the cave river (2D)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:58:41 am »

That is a very nice idea Luckymoose.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:23:48 am »

F.o.M., that arc's far down the line, this could be a good stop-gap. Problem with a starter save file is that it couldn't tell you where to go from there; they'd still have to go to a wiki-entry on how to run a fortress, they'd just be skipping a few-steps.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 12:35:41 pm »

Well, there is the movie archive - you could have documented step-by-step demonstration vids, to augment this idea.

Glutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:44:45 pm »

I dont think, that puttin some prepared save is the best idea. Starting from prepared fortress can be even harder that starting from scratch.
I suppose the idea will be to implement some step-by-step tutorial (maybe on some small, easy location, with no goblins, all resources,...), telling what to do and why to do it.

And then implement some content help (insted fo rightside overal map) - so if you select to build workshop it will show you, what this workshop produce (and what it is good for), what it needs to for, what skill is neccessary etc...

These two features will make it much easier to learn.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:25:49 pm »

That could be helpful. If people don't want to use it, they don't have to, of course. What the forts could be are "challenges", like "Get a working food industry" or "Set the peasants as wrestlers and train them to skilled wrestler status". That could involve building beds, setting a barracks and whatnot. The fort they could download could have enough food and beer and dwarfs to get the job done, the noobs just have to focus on the challenge.

This would work splendidly if done right. Give the noobs a fortress that has very little food production, and say: "Fix it."
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.