Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrusters and metalcrafters driving me mad.  (Read 803 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Encrusters and metalcrafters driving me mad.
« on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:37 am »

Is there any simple way to make them encrust and stud only specific things? I hate when they decorate (with most precious gems I could find) goblin socks or barrels. And it seems they're not treating them as any other furniture and/or finished good. It's like on their priority list were clothes, mechanisms, barrels and averything I don't want them to decorate. Once a metalcrafter ignored the stockpile full of finished goods made from metal (despite it being almost next to the forge) and went out to the surface, then walked half of a map to grab a lying goblin sock. Nothing less drastic than blocking the way to unwanted goods seem to work.

Wirewraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encrusters and metalcrafters driving me mad.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:50 am »

Shove the item you want to encrust or whatever inside the workshop, make sure the only entrance to the workshop is via a door. Then, lock the door with the dwarf still inside and have him encrust the relevant type of item.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:17:13 am »

Would be nice if you could simply mark items to be encrusted like you mark stuff to be melted. And maybe a custom encrust menu (much like the custom pile menu) to select types and qualities to be encrusted

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:01:15 am »

Dwarves should pick the closest eligible item to decorate, using their standard "as the rock mole tunnels" definition of closest (i.e. straight-line, through-the-rock-as-needed). Once that item is in their workshop, they'll continue to decorate it with any repeating jobs so long as the materials being decorated with are still eligible (i.e. you can't decorate the same item twice with copper, so once "stud with copper" comes up again, the dwarf will find a new item to decorate).

The only practical way to ensure that dwarves decorate the "right" items is to lock them into a room with the item in question. However, I kinda prefer the spontaneity of having a green glass tube, say, that's worth over 20k dwarfbucks because it's decorated with every gemstone known to dwarf.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:06:05 pm »

I think it makes sense to just dig a hole for your decorators and throw things in for them to decorate from above. If they're good, and finish all their work, you throw down some food too. There's really no need for them to ever get out. Just have a hole on their workshop floor, that leads to an access tunnel linking up with the rest of the fort. They can throw items they've decorated in their hole, along with bones and shells from their food and empty booze barrels.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:22:50 pm »

If you have the space, you can set up a masterwork studio for your crafters. Essentially it should be a 3 floor studio with a workshop in the middle floor. Set up piles for specific goods (masterworks only, in my case) in the other two floors. Dwarves should first pick up items in the two areas above and below their workshop. If you want to be certain, you can make resource piles to occupy the areas around the workshop to prevent other items from interfering with your studding process:

Code: [Select]

z 0
O---O
|PPPOO
|PPPX|
|PPPOO
O---O
z-1
O---O
|WWWOO
|WWWX|
|WWWOO
O---O
z-2
O---O
|PPPOO
|PPPX|
|PPPOO
O---O

X= Staircase P= Stockpiles W=Workshop

You can make the stockpiles as specific as you want. I recommend you start with beds since they are integral to making bedrooms and allow you to minimize room space. Feel free to augment the design as well. Adding another workshop in the center shouldn't hamper the efficiency of the design. You can add two more levels at the top and bottom for resource inputs as well. Just make sure your stockpiles are stocked before you designate the task.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »

Dumb question, how do I get the item I want studded into the workshop area
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:07:54 pm »

Just designate a stockpile to have that item-type and quality or simply make a dump zone directly in the center of the workshop and designate the item for dumping.

Make sure you 'unforbid' it after it gets moved, though.