Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: animal graphics  (Read 1953 times)

Bane

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Drow Executioner
    • View Profile
animal graphics
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:23:03 pm »

On a fore note.
Forgive the lack of grammar, spelling and other English miss haps I am bound to create.

Having looked upon and used the graphic sets at hand and through using the wiki I
decided that it would be needed for someone to continue the conversion of the creature
graphics to a more graphically pleasing quality.

:) Although, if I am wrong please do correct me.

So during my spare time I have been re-drawing and editing previous artists work.
Having said that they have all rights as to what is theirs and are all duly credited on there work.
In other words, if they don't want me putting their work into mine I will remove it and recreate the removed animal graphic in my own style.

Other than my nonsensical babbling I have so far been able to create/gain most of the necessary animals needed for DF. I am listing the ones I have done so that you know as to what stage I am at and for others to suggest creatures that I am missing from my collection.

If it is wished I will show any creatures that you would like to view, be that to see if the creatures are to a satisfactory level or just to get an idea as to what I am doing.

All of my completed animal packs are now on the wiki
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Bane18

Comments would be useful.

Also corrections on grammar, punctuation and spelling is always accepted as most of the time I wont know I have done said mistakes.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:00:04 pm by Bane »

Bane

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Drow Executioner
    • View Profile
Re: animal graphics
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:49:11 pm »

=Edits=
*Shortened animal group into smaller family trees because of an error due to size.
*several vanilla packs have been completed.
*mandrill has been moved to ape pack.

Animal pack
feline pack
canine pack
equine pack
bovine pack
ursine pack
cervine pack
solo pack
ape pack
gibbon pack

*giant pack now in focus.

organising giant pack

==

Am I missing any animals?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:01:44 pm by Bane »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:22:37 pm »

That's great. Just a note - what use do we have for all this code until we get the actual bmp files? I mean, relative position?

I planned to compile a full list of creatures as well but now I don't have a time due university session. I highly appreciate your work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:21:06 am »

Wow, thats some really good sprite work there. Good job!
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:39:43 am »

Thank you for the release. The elephant is very nice and monkeys are great =).
Also the Sphr's wardog is the best I've encountered.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:58:20 pm »

Shouldn't the mandrill go in the ape pack?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bane

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Drow Executioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 08:59:58 pm »

I was curious as to whether or not I should have placed it in the ape pack but I instead chose to  placed it in the solo pack. I will move it to the ape pack if you wish.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 11:43:04 pm »

I think the ape pack is the right place for mandrills.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Bane

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Drow Executioner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:04:12 pm »

*Animal pack complete

I have successfully completed all of the normal land animals found in df.
As to my knowledge and from what I have tested and played, they all work.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 06:55:50 am »

Thank you, Bane! This is what I've been looking for in the past few months. Nice to hear someone took up after Sphr. One note, though: I think you should include your animals in the List of User Graphic Sets on the Wiki. It's quite hard to find here in the forums, and I found it only by accident.

Anyway, thanks again!
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:35:08 am »

Whatever happened to the text files that go with the graphics set?  I can't seem to find them anywhere, and I certainly don't want to have to remake them from scratch.  Anyone have a copy?

Nevermind - I figured it out - the pictures are actually links, despite their urls ending with .png.  Darn php :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:38:09 am by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 06:47:50 am »

Hm, I think that these 16x16 tilesets are ugly...too small, you cant make detailed graphics..I would say all tilesets below 32x32 are almost pointless, even ASCII symbols are more enjoyable...but again I am playing in high resolution, so maybe that is the problem.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 06:52:30 am »

Hm, I think that these 16x16 tilesets are ugly...too small, you cant make detailed graphics..I would say all tilesets below 32x32 are almost pointless, even ASCII symbols are more enjoyable...but again I am playing in high resolution, so maybe that is the problem.
i don't agree i think they are quite nice and i am thinging about resising one of the tileset to 15*15 even so it can fit my screen in windowed with the hole card (nano) ... now i miss 2 or 3 lines downside and i dont like to move it :D
32*32 would be make too big squeres ... but it should depend on your resolution too ...
(once seen civilisation 1 on a 19" monitor with max resolution ... it was soo, soo ugly :D)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 07:09:05 am »

i don't agree i think they are quite nice and i am thinging about resising one of the tileset to 15*15 even so it can fit my screen in windowed with the hole card (nano) ... now i miss 2 or 3 lines downside and i dont like to move it :D
32*32 would be make too big squeres ... but it should depend on your resolution too ...
(once seen civilisation 1 on a 19" monitor with max resolution ... it was soo, soo ugly :D)

Yeah that is true, I am playing in 1680x1050, so 16x16 tilesets are way too small for this resolution. Once Toady will separate text/tiles, I will make a proper 32x32 tileset. I think merging ASCII + graphical tiles is also quite bad idea...pure ASCII or pure graphical DF is the way to go IMHO.  ;)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 07:20:35 am »

i think it is not bad that anything can have an ASCII vision so people how like that can play with, but it is true it would be god too if in raws we could say this tree is this image and that braclet looks like this...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2