Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterwheel question  (Read 862 times)

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterwheel question
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:44:51 pm »

Does the water wheel have to be on flowing water to generate power?  I'm wondering if I can channel in some water then floodgate it off, basically making a "pool" that doesn't move, then using that, or if I have to figure out a way to have constant flow.  Thanks.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterwheel question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:55 pm »

Yes, it does need flowing water to move. Otherwise you are just... I dunno... dipping it in water  ;D

That's easy though, if you have already figured out how to channel water. Just channel it right back to the river you took it from. It will flow in a big loop.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:06 pm »

The wiki features a perpetual motion machine. You have a circle of channels, with a water wheel on one side and a screw pump on the other. Directly under the pump is a solid wall blocking the channel. You build the pump, then the axle, then the water wheel. Fill the channel, then start the pump manually.

The pump will move water from one end of the C-shape channel to the other. Then the water runs all around the C, back to where the pump is pulling water from. This means the water is moving, and the water wheel is generating power.

Once the water wheel generates power, it powers the pump. Your pump dwarf then runs off to do something else. The system now runs constantly.

The trick is that the pump uses far less energy than the wheel produces. So you have surplus energy, which you can redirect elsewhere by building more axles off the wheel or the pump (as far as I know, powered machines transmit power).

Another, simpler way is to make an aqueduct between your river and your chasm. This acts as both a well and a diverted flowing water source, which you can fish from, and since it's moving constantly you can slap down some water wheels along it.

Plus, since you're disposing of the water, you can easily put in a waterfall in your dining room or whatever to make mist.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:29:32 am »

Thanks for the very quick answers, very helpful.

Do you know how much power a Mill requires then, so that I make sure I build it close enough to the wheel if I go with the perpetual motion?  Thanks again.

asnoka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:14:55 am »

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

Ah, I seemed to have missed that page.  Thanks!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:48:26 pm »

Also, a water wheel doesn't appear to slow down the water passing through it. So if you enlongate the C-channel, or better still square it off, you can stick multiple water wheels all connected to the pump. Just need a single axle sticking out of your system as far as I know, and all that power will be transmitted out through it.

Then again, there isn't much to do with power yet except grind your grain and similar food processing food processes.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:32:11 pm »

Also, a water wheel doesn't appear to slow down the water passing through it. So if you enlongate the C-channel, or better still square it off, you can stick multiple water wheels all connected to the pump. Just need a single axle sticking out of your system as far as I know, and all that power will be transmitted out through it.

Then again, there isn't much to do with power yet except grind your grain and similar food processing food processes.
And power 10 pump towers carrying water to the top of your goblin washing reservoir.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."