Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 11 Best "God Games" of all time  (Read 7913 times)

Wokeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Best "God Games" of all time
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:43 pm »

Bad list... Dominions 3 is the best God game around. Technically it's a trying-to-be-a-god game, but meh.
warf Fortress, BF2:PR and Dominions 3 Fanatic

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 02:15:49 am »

Dominions isn't bad, but... it's not really my style, I guess; and it's very expensive considering its age. My favorite god-game is Populous and Populous II, I think. Black and White never worked on my computer.

It was so cool to see all the people merge on your papal magnet in Populous and get this avatar-esque god-knight to appear, who then bee-lined for enemy territory, walking across the oceans as you drag the earth out of the water to support his next footstep. Very epic.

Populous II added all the fun god abilities, like a tower of fire. Oh, and if you haven't played it, definitely try Populous III: The Tribes, or whatever its subtitle was. It's technically a demigod game, and has more RTS elements, but it's VERY good, and multiplayer. Opening a volcano on the enemy, watching the 3D terrain stretch and reach upward... epic.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 05:28:59 am »

Bad list... Dominions 3 is the best God game around. Technically it's a trying-to-be-a-god game, but meh.
My vote would be the same. Dominions 3 is just awesome. If it had actual tactical combat, I'd probably never sleep ... I didn't like it the first time I started the demo, but something in it grabbed my interest (not unlike Dwarf Fortress did), held it, and kept it. It'll never leave my hard drive now that I own it.

I'm eagerly awaiting the so-far-nameless Stardock fantasy TBS, as they are borrowing elements from some of my favorite games (MoM!) and putting their own spin on it. I'm hoping it's what I expect it to be -- and since I like Stardock, my money is basically in their hands the minute they let me pre-pay. Sounds like a play-a-god game with civ elements, epic-looking and playing battles, and massive, world-changing spells.

We'll see, I guess, but man I want to play it now. Gonna have to wait a year or more, though, I'd imagine.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 05:56:52 am »

That list was a complete joke from the second I looked at it.

For one, Spore? FFS how do you rate a game that isn't even available for review yet on a "top x (game type) of all time" list? How the hell should they know, it's unreleased!

For two: Black and White 2?! Both of the Black and White games were poorly executed novelties... a chintzy poorly-rounded gimmick of a god game used as a veneer to sell what was essentially a mentally handicapped, overly hyped tamagotchi. There's a reason that the name Molyneux is associated with a failure to live up to your promises. Both games delivered mediocre gameplay because Mr. Molyneux focused too much of his effort (and all the hype) on one minor facet of the game and left the customers to eagerly snatch it up and discover "hey... this is kinda lacking some polish, here".

thirdly: Evil Genius was a fun and novel game... but ranking it higher than historic titles like Rollercoaster Tycoon, Sim City 2000, and The Sims is... well that's just bizarre, especially since Evil Genius isn't a god game to begin with, and neither is Rollercoaster Tycoon technically.

The person who wrote that was obviously just an amateur who did it for fun... I find it impossible to take it seriously at all.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 08:38:51 am »

It just seems to be the "Hmm, how can I make my anticipation of Spore known to the whole intertron - I know, I'll make a top ten.  Shame I can't count very well" list.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Drolias Flamegut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »

It just seems to be the "Hmm, how can I make my anticipation of Spore known to the whole intertron - I know, I'll make a top ten.  Shame I can't count very well" list.

Well, I'm glad it happened, then, because absolutely nobody has heard of Spore yet and definitely nobody's thought to follow on and report the game's dev progress.  By putting this game on the top of his list, this clever author will have managed to reach out to six, seven people at the very least.  Nice job!

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 12:28:33 pm »

I'm eagerly awaiting the so-far-nameless Stardock fantasy TBS, as they are borrowing elements from some of my favorite games (MoM!) and putting their own spin on it. I'm hoping it's what I expect it to be -- and since I like Stardock, my money is basically in their hands the minute they let me pre-pay. Sounds like a play-a-god game with civ elements, epic-looking and playing battles, and massive, world-changing spells.

We'll see, I guess, but man I want to play it now. Gonna have to wait a year or more, though, I'd imagine.

I too give Stardock my money whenever possible.  Their stance on Piracy, the overall quality of their products, they are just a great company.  Let me put it this way - I dislike RTS games, because I am bad at them.  But I still pre-purchased Sins of a Solar Empire, because that's just how much I love Stardock.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 04:09:47 pm »

I too give Stardock my money whenever possible.  Their stance on Piracy, the overall quality of their products, they are just a great company.  Let me put it this way - I dislike RTS games, because I am bad at them.  But I still pre-purchased Sins of a Solar Empire, because that's just how much I love Stardock.

I did the same for Sins as well. Its a shame though, I suck at it too much, and no one wants to post replays of their battles last time I checked. Largest battle I've seen involved one cap ship, 10 frigates, and the 20 or so pirate ships.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*
Pages: 1 2 [3]