Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 11 Best "God Games" of all time  (Read 7909 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Best "God Games" of all time
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 03:43:12 pm »

You want proof that this was put together by someone paid to promote Spore?  They got the freaking boxart wrong for Populous.  That pic is from Populous: The Beginning, a later, inferior game.

Also, no Dungeon Keeper?  WTF?

I would also have included Actraiser.  Yes, it was most certainly a god game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »

I don't like many of their inclusions if ONLY because I think they don't count as a "God game"... Let me go down the list of games I feel don't count

-Roller Coaster Tycoon: Sure you get the Hand of grabbing... but that is IT!!! Hand of God alone does not a god game make.
-Darwinia: Perhaps if you played the scientists... but no your the assistant who has VERY little control over them and have no effect over their society as a whole
-Evil Genius: You GOTTA be joking... honestly there is nothing in this game the least bit godly... At LEAST Dungeon Keeper had spells and represented you as a vague being.
-Settlers: Alright so at this point this guy counts EVERYTHING as a god game...
-Simcity 2000: Beyond contol of disasters (Which is cheating and we never count it) you really don't have godly control... However this is my weakest "I don't count it" and I wouldn't have put it here if the list was any shorter

I can ignore bad or limited tastes or not being informed about the many better games out there since it at least makes an interestinng read (Heck I wouldn't care if he put SimEarth as #1 and SimLife as #2)... but to completely ignore the point of his article cannot be excused...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 04:38:15 pm »

Neo has a good point. "God Game" is not just "A thing we can't call RTS because it doesn't fit in the box"
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 04:47:45 pm »

I would have said the same thing.  Evil Genius can only be thought of as a 'god game' because of the existence of Dungeon Keeper... which I would argue does not count.

Dungeon Keeper 2 does qualify, and I would probably put Dominus on the list too.

Startopia:  Discuss.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Boomer

• Bay Watcher
  • EXPLOSIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 04:59:31 pm »

I referred to Dwarf Fortress as a World Building game. I tend to be specific as to what you actually do in the game when describing what kind of game it is.

A game where you race is a racing game.

A game where you shoot from the first person perspective is a first person shooter.

A game where you play a customizable role is a role playing game.

A game where you solve puzzles is awesome.

I don't see why others cannot comprehend this.
"Damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now."

~Akroma

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:07:12 pm »

I'd say that Startopia is again an RTS.  Although I prefer the genre Awesome for it... one which DF belongs to as well.
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a Simulation game... not a Real time strategy

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »

I want to play more Zeus now. And the expansion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 06:07:26 pm »

I kinda want to play Evil Genius some more...

Though the largest problem with the game is its horrific game ending glitches.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 07:15:46 pm »

I referred to Dwarf Fortress as a World Building game. I tend to be specific as to what you actually do in the game when describing what kind of game it is.

A game where you race is a racing game.

A game where you shoot from the first person perspective is a first person shooter.

A game where you play a customizable role is a role playing game.

A game where you solve puzzles is awesome.

I don't see why others cannot comprehend this.
Their reasoning seems to be "A game a little bit like some other game that involved gods is a God Game."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 07:31:16 pm »

How the hell did I forget Startopia?  I was just playing it a few weeks ago.  I love that game so much I stole it.  Not pirated or made an illegal copy, physically stole it.

To define God games as specifically games where you play the role of a god is pointless - that would make God of War a god game.  I would say that, to the extent that there is a concrete difference between God games and strategy game (both Real-Time and Turn-Based, don't forget them), is the level of direct control you have over units.  Tropico for instance was a god game because you had no control over what any individual unit could do.  Majesty was an excellent example (the one asked about above) because in order to kill monsters you had to build guilds and taverns to attract heroes, then set bounties to convince them to do your work.  DF could be called a strategy game since you can order specific dwarves to do specific things, but it's one of many games that blurs the line.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 07:59:17 pm »

Careful Aquizar... Your melding Simulation games with units and a God Game...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 08:33:26 pm »

To define God games as specifically games where you play the role of a god is pointless - that would make God of War a god game.

Not necessarily.  There is a difference between "Your character is a god" and "You get to Play God".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 08:40:35 pm »

Well remember that in a similar way that the term RPG came out of dungeons and dragons did "God game" come out of I believe Populous

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 11:14:19 pm »

What a ridiculous list.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: 1 [2] 3