Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post your insane architectural designs. Of madness.  (Read 2135 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Post your insane architectural designs. Of madness.
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:07:21 am »

I've seen plenty of insane buildings in the time I've spent here, and some of them must require prior planning of some kind.
So, post and share all of those giant magma furnace kitten destroyers or the fortress deathwish mechanisms.
in the meantime, I'll stop my scanner from committing suicide.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Re: Post your insane architectural designs. Of madness.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:37 am »

This is a picture taken with the 3Dwarf program of a biulding at my current fort. Yes that is water i pumped all the way up there, im currently changing it to magma. No, its not a box, on the bottom 4 laers is a tessaleted 5x5 workshop pattern. Currently it has no use, and i built it for fun. It has no exterior entrance.                                                                               
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:00:12 am by Hishan »

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:03 am »

In b4 Sparta.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 11:23:39 am »

One of my first forts was on a flat marsh land, I built a giant pump tower to pump water from the surface up 15Z levels.  The water then followed a massive aqueduct that matched the four walls of my fort, where each of the four corners had a kind of maintenance tower to reach the aqueduct.  The water would flow along one side, drop down as it reached the next and then would repeat.  The water then finally fell 3 Z levels through a splendid statue garden filled with platinum and gold statues with an iron floor and walls that was elevated over a lake.

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45:20 am »

These aren't the most beautiful statues but they are made of solid gold/silver and took pretty darn long to build. There's also closed volcano behing them.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55:27 am »

sweet jesus....  that is impressive
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:56:24 am »

Is it bad that I started looking between them for the Anduin River?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:44:44 pm »

These aren't the most beautiful statues but they are made of solid gold/silver and took pretty darn long to build. There's also closed volcano behing them.

STOP! In the naaame of love!

I love the 3D visualizer. It makes me salivate for the interface and hope for a graphical upgrade to that. At least as an option, you know?

*looks back and forth as the furious ascii fans close in*

Uh ... guys? I like text too! See, I'm playing Zork righ- AAAUAAGH my spleen

Plus the visualizer shows just how awesome Toady's terrain generator is. It's awesome.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:50:21 pm »

I think this one counts, although it isn't mine:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-875-morulingtak

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 04:03:59 pm »

Oh mai.
These put anything I ever built to shame.
if ever there was motivation to get down and build the things I actually want to built, it was these things I've seen on the forum.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 05:40:12 pm »

I made a nice, outdoor fortress, once. That's about it. I haven't really even experimented with pumps. Keeping the dwarves from killing eachother is enough of a challenge for me, most of the time. I've tried to build towers and such in the past, but I've invariably run into the tantrum spiral "bug,"  which makes it a bit different to complete large projects... Maybe I should try adding [no_emotion] or whatever the tag is.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 05:53:23 pm »

Once I get it finished I'll post my giant Bridge. It's functional now, but the railing, gate towers, and waterfalls aren't in yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 06:33:34 pm »

I want to make a replica of en Imperial Titan (From warhammer). But I guess I will wait for the next DF version to do that, because looking at a picture like this makes my fingers hurt.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 07:39:23 pm »

I want to make a replica of en Imperial Titan (From warhammer). But I guess I will wait for the next DF version to do that, because looking at a picture like this makes my fingers hurt.

Aah, reminds me of the days of MechWarrior...I really enjoyed that game (those games), for all it's terrible story and screwy voice overs.

Anyway, I never BUILD anything. But I have pretty interesting digging designs, I guess. Everything HAS to be symmetrical, balanced, patterned, etc. or I trash it. Oh, and no stray stones are allowed. I don't mine more until the last site is cleared.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 05:20:57 am »

This is the magma forge area from a long-ago fortress. The magma was drawn off from the lava pipe, pooled above the workshops and dropped down below through a tunnel constructed from clear glass blocks. The forge workers had a great view! It took me about 5 years longer than normal to get my metal industry up and going, but it was worth it. :)

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday
Pages: [1] 2