Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple idea for making sand/glass more viable  (Read 991 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Simple idea for making sand/glass more viable
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:35 am »

Well if you have the resources to make metal products, you have most of the things you need for at least green glass. Except perhaps sand. Sand is either nowhere to be found in a location, or it's everywhere. This wouldn't be as much as a problem if you could trade for it. So i propose a simple (maybe not simple to implement...) solution.

Make brooks and rivers have sand on their banks, probably just as the 'floor'. Since sand is never depleted from a tile, this would make sand viable in many many more locations. Perhaps even have sand in underground rivers.

Just a suggestion.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple idea for making sand/glass more viable
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:46:04 am »

While I do agree that perhaps you should be able to trade for sand (Or create your own maybe)

I also agree that you should also be able to send Dwarven parties out of your fortress to find some. (but that won't be out for a while)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:05:59 am »

I bet this has been proposed a thousand times before me ..
but mill excess stone into sand :)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:18 pm »

Here's another idea-- different TYPES of sand.  Different types of sand produce different qualities of glass after all, and it's my understanding that there are types of sand that don't require additives to make it clear.

This way, you could have a fortress based around glass production with the right location.  This doesn't make glass easier to come by, but it makes it more worthwhile to pursue.

Drolias Flamegut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:37 am »

I bet this has been proposed a thousand times before me ..
but mill excess stone into sand :)

Or have small rockbreaking workshops to place in your jails so that the prisoners can do a little grunt work for you while they lounge about in their chains.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »

I know it seems like it should work, but ground-up stone dust can't really be made into glass for the same reason ground-up black licorice can't be made into tires.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:30 pm »

Yeah, guess what happens when you melt ground-up stone? Hint: it's the same as melting regular stone.

Sand is generally made out of silicon dioxide, which is what you want for glass, so the two aren't really interchangeable.

Granted, quartz rock could theoretically be used, since that's also made of crystallized SiO2.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 01:03:02 pm »

As well as other quartz based crystals, such as amethyst, agate, onyx, jasper, and others.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 01:39:48 pm »

I don't know, what I get when I melt normal stone, maybe slag ?,  but if you ground calcite and mix it with water and sand you get concrete :)