Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Generating worlds is fun for no particular reason.  (Read 1995 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generating worlds is fun for no particular reason.
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:21:21 pm »

Who likes to simply generate worlds and examine them looking for unique places and such, or simply for the heck of it? I know, sounds kinda pathetic, but somehow i sometimes have the urge to simply do that instead of continueing a fort. Its rather addictive.
I mostly like to generate small maps (i think they have two volcanoes, dunno) as i find them to have the best balance and best chance to generate some extreme worlds without having to resort to the bigger maps (my computer sucks btw).
Some interesting worlds i generated includes one wich is devided by a huge (i thing terrifying/haunted) lake right across the map, with on one side goblins and humans and on the other one elves, i also remember that a huge part of one of teh two sides is mirthfull or something similarly good bordering the evil lake.
Another world (medium i think) has 2 huge mainrivers (sadly they don't cross eachother, dunno if that ever even happens) right through some very interesting areas, no problem finding any sort of feared fish there. One of the mainrivers even has a 1 zlevel high waterfall! Would love to find a mainriver with a 5 or above z level waterfall. I simply embarked all over the mainriver, just to check it out and one place was very interesting landshape wise. The mainriver there looked like an almost straight grandcanyon, awesome to built a fort connecting the two sides of the river.
Another world lacked in goblins, another one was extremely fracktured, and not only in mountain features encompassing lakes and such, but also in civilizations.
And many more.
Anyways, ever did just that, generating worlds for fun? (or am i really that sad?) And some interesting results coming from it?

edit: some typos, i'm extremely tired.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:24:54 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
Re: Generating worlds is fun for no particular reason.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:36 am »

The world I'm in at the moment has a massive stretch of joyous wilds to the north. Sadly, it's in a primarily cold environment. There's also a ring of volcanoes to the south, all hot/scorching environments.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:27 am »

ive done it before but i think it takes up a lot of disc space doesnt it?

makrond, you do know cold areas arent all that tough right?
youre missing watching the snow fall. On some maps, if you have a river, and the whole thing freezes, the dwarves will go skating. Actually, cold maps make it less worrisome to not have a brook/river for water because a half full thawed pond will fill completely once frozen. so you can land almost anywhere you'd find some ponds and not have to worry about water.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:43:30 am »

Meh, temperate works well enough for me.

I've done a couple of cold environments, but they seem to be frozen for three seasons out of four, not half of the year like I'd prefer.

Minor gripe, I know, but it would make cold environments a little less harsh.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:45:43 am by Makrond »
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:15:37 am »

I get a kick out of reading the rulership and deity descriptions for the dwarves in the world dumps. At one point I started writing a made-up history of the civilization based off the ruler entry data for ruler names, family members and religions.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 03:53:13 am »

! Would love to find a mainriver with a 5 or above z level waterfall.

I think everyone would. Or i hope so :)
Magma is overrated.

Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:08 am »

Has anyone found a good map with an underground river? I really want one of those

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:16 am »

If it's pathetic, then I'm the scum of the universe.
I have about eleven worlds I haven't even played on yet.

One time, I saw a world where the goblins were all completely surrounded by an impassable mountain range, with the exception of one tower on the other side. This was on a full-sized world, too.
The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:09:33 am »

Has anyone found a good map with an underground river? I really want one of those

Check out the "2x5 map with cave spiders" thread. I found the underground river on that one and it's pretty impressive, with several different z-levels of river connected by waterfalls (and packed with critters of course).

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:24:32 pm »

I once picked a starting position where two rivers met... it turned out one of them went through a narrow gorge, while the second river ended in a 5-ish zlevel waterfall into the first.  Better yet, on the other side of the gorge was an inaccessible mesa.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:10 am »

Yep me too, it is no accident I've been lobbying for more player influence on WG. :D

I've currently got 9 regions crowding my disc...only 5 have seen any actual play.
I tend to delete worlds that do not meet my standards though...so these are just the last batch.

Tried to get the WG to gen me a world with oceans or some other seriously extreme shit, before realising that these were neatly culled by WG bedfore reaching worldhood.

Next version changes are gonna be so much fun!!
(selectable water level, islands, smoothed hills etc.)

I have a swamp map with two streams meeting another. One is about 7 levels up from the other 3 which are in a deep gorge only in a corner of the map does the river reach level ground. excessive ponds screw up the beaty of it though.

on the subject: Has anyone seen a location with a brook/stream/river with small falls across it's length. I'd love that in a nice temperate area, but so far all i've seen are either deep gorges or steep falls of multiple levels, not so much gradual declines.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Trelack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 12:36:34 pm »

While I have indulged in generating random worlds for the sake of it, generally I do the opposite - I love the idea of being loyal to one world and learning all about it and developing it alone.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 04:40:27 pm »

I like generating and looking for interesting maps, and in particular, names.  I recently generated a world I simply was too scared to play in: The Universe of Dragons.  The Mountains of Teeth seemed a particularly frightening part of that world.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »

I'd love to develop a world over time, only abandoning a fortress seems such a waste.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 05:52:40 pm »

While I have indulged in generating random worlds for the sake of it, generally I do the opposite - I love the idea of being loyal to one world and learning all about it and developing it alone.

I'd love to develop a world over time, only abandoning a fortress seems such a waste.

Exactly the problem I have right now.

I've been playing this same fort for about 10 years...  It... Won't... Die...
Pages: [1] 2