Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dedicating a statue to a god in Fort mode  (Read 4351 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dedicating a statue to a god in Fort mode
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:43:12 pm »

Pretty much what the title of the thread says.  Another option when you highlight a statue.  Instead of defining a statue garden room off of a given statue, define a temple room based off of a statue, and a further option to dedicate such a statue to one of the gods available to your fort's parent civilization (kinda like how you can choose to assign a bed, table or chair to a specific dwarf, only assigning a statue to a specific god).

If you have just a plain generic temple (ie, not dedicated to any god), it would act just like a regular statue garden and meeting area.  A specifically dedicated statue, however, would only attract followers of that particular god, meaning that followers of the same god would socialize with each other more and become closer friends than followers of other gods.  This could then lend itself to all sorts of inter-fort grudges and rivalries between followers of different religions.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicating a statue to a god in Fort mode
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:43 pm »

This could then lend itself to all sorts of inter-fort grudges and rivalries between followers of different religions.

But then nobody would build them???

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:49:24 pm »

This could then lend itself to all sorts of inter-fort grudges and rivalries between followers of different religions.

But then nobody would build them???

Not quite, one person of one religion would build one for HIS god, while others would build ones for THEIR gods.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:48 pm »

Not quite, one person of one religion would build one for HIS god, while others would build ones for THEIR gods.

Yeah, but why would you want to build anything that has a chance to cause chaos? Isn't the point of the game to try and help your fortress thrive?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:02:40 pm »

Ah, you mean with the PLAYER. Thats one aspect of it, another aspect(The one I pay more attention to) Is to see just how much hell you can raise. Besides, it adds more depth to the game play.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:07:45 pm »

Yeah, but isn't that counter to the games main goal?

Sure, raising hell in a fort is fun in all that, but to me it seems unnecessary to add a mechanic that runs counter to the core of the game. The idea is good at it's core, but only raising hell underuses the concept imho.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 11:13:51 pm »

Well, the point of DF(As is the point of EVERY game) is to have fun. And if you have fun causing mass hysteria and killing your forts, then hey thats how you play your game. If you MUST have the absolute UTOPIA of your DF world, then hey its how you play your fort. Also, it would play a part in creating unity in the sense that bigger, better statues may convert people, causing more dwarves to side with one religion until eventually you have a fort with all dwarves worshiping one god. Then, there isn't any religion tension and by risking killing your fort with tantrum spirals earlier on you have made it much less of a risk now, hell it may even become a benefit to have the huge statue of dwarven Jesus in the entryway.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

Nevermind, we're arguing over nothing at all anyway.  :P

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:52:54 pm »

finally I can have my soaked room with a blood moat be an honest Armok temple
The great game of Warlocks!

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:45:04 am »

No one mentioned that this also a good method to make your nobles a little more happy.
... or demand another room .. hmm .. crap .. :)

baron urist sillydemands demands a royal cathedral of [ insert most hated god here ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 02:03:12 am »

No one mentioned that this also a good method to make your nobles a little more happy.
... or demand another room .. hmm .. crap .. :)

baron urist sillydemands demands a royal cathedral of [ insert most hated god here ]

Baron Urist Sillydemands has collided with an obstacle!

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 03:35:42 am »

With regards to why people would build them it would be nice if it was based on the dwarves' preferences. For example say as soon a you get a decent-ish following (~20?) of a god they'd start demanding a place to meet and worship since personal areas don't suit their needs.

A temple to a dwarven god should produce a happy thought to the followers which could vary in happiness based on value of worship area/amount of followers of a god. Not providing for large groups of religious movements could produce unhappy thoughts and become worse the more followers go without a place of worship (e.g. if you have 50 dwarves all following the same god yet no place to meet they could start a riot).

I think dwarves shouldn't be jealous just because another religion also has a meeting place but instead become unhappy if they are getting unequal treatment (their value/followers ratio being significantly less than other religions). Religions with more funding should also attract more people but it should be a good balance between encouraging a monotheistic society versus having riots from the more devout of other religions. Secular dwarves should also exist but I'm not sure if they should also demand something (the equivalent in beer subsidies?)   

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 05:09:48 am »

Also, random blessings from gods with which to smite.

Smite who?

Oh, I don't know; just smiting in general, I think.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 06:32:32 am »

The intent is to divide up who's socializing with who in a natural way and then letting relationships develop out of that (friendships, lovers, grudges, etc.).  The chaos and confusion is only one possible side-effect. ;D Maybe you could dedicate one statue to multiple gods and get followers of different gods all congregating in the same area.  And it's not like the temple would be the only place they'd be willing to socialize.

It seems like such a small tweak that could have a pretty significant impact on the kinds of stories that are developed over the course of playing a fort.  Plus, it's something that a player could opt in to.  If they don't want to have to deal with it, they wouldn't have to dedicate a temple (I'd avoid making any kind of noble mandates/requirements related to this for the time being).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 08:26:25 am »

I think that a little bit of chaos (in-fighting, politics) would be a good trade off for a few strong happy thoughts related to a dwarf having his specific temple.

Heck, you honestly don't need to really balance it much:  Dwarves only gather at their god's statue (so there's more intrafaith friendships).  Give a small happy thought for having a temple, and a quality dependant one for worshiping in it.  Happiness versus Time Spent.
Pages: [1] 2