Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: does the world map change?  (Read 1611 times)

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
does the world map change?
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:57 pm »

i was wondering if anyone knows if playing well/poorly affects the larger world map, like makes undead areas grow/shrink, makes more/bigger/smaller/less goblin cities?
have you ever noticed anything after abandoning?

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
Re: does the world map change?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:27:54 pm »

The best I've found is all the dwarves of my old fort in a nearby town as migrants. I tried attacking the old
mayor(who was in the drinking hall) and everyone attacked and killed me. I came back later, and they still
hadn't settled in.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:47:44 pm »

In the 2d version adventure mode, supposedly if you killed lots of wild animals in savage areas they would become neutral though I personally never managed it. I don't know if it still works in the newer versions (or if it ever actually worked in the 2d version). IIRC it did not work in evil (or good) areas though, you could not make an evil swamp neutral for example.

Other then that, sometimes migrants will move around on the world map but I don't think they settle new towns or anything yet. The world map is fairly static right now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 02:09:16 pm »

Well, I did wipe out a goblin tower (actually, three towers very close to each other) square with my swordswoman and couldn't find the purple tower symbol again when I went in to settle the place with my most recent dwarves. The tile was gray instead of purple when I found it, so I guess killing all those goblins did make a difference. The dwarves "landed" right on top of one of the towers, with all the goblin bodies and equipment still there for the taking. Trading went easily the first year.  ;)
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:46:55 pm »

Well, I did wipe out a goblin tower (actually, three towers very close to each other) square with my swordswoman and couldn't find the purple tower symbol again when I went in to settle the place with my most recent dwarves. The tile was gray instead of purple when I found it, so I guess killing all those goblins did make a difference. The dwarves "landed" right on top of one of the towers, with all the goblin bodies and equipment still there for the taking. Trading went easily the first year.  ;)

That's because the color of "town" tiles is based on the population of the town they represent. Lower the population and the color changes.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:49:32 pm »

That's because the color of "town" tiles is based on the population of the town they represent. Lower the population and the color changes.
That was my conclusion and I thought it fit the OP's question. Now I think it might be a good idea to get that character up again and scourge through a terrifying location. Kill everything that moves or once moved, and see if the tile changes color too. Probably won't work, but should be fun.  ;)
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!