Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Machines  (Read 2323 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Machines
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 10:44:53 am »

What can you do with computing that is actually useful for the dwarves?

Build your fortress with bulwarks of floodgates along the major pathways so that entire sections can be sealed off.  Then, make the fortress selectively seal off and flood portions of itself as an automated defense.  Of course, the fortress would also have to drain and unseal those passages once the threat is gone or after a certain amount of time has elapsed.  In other words, do the flood defense without requiring any input from yourself once it's constructed.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 10:52:54 am »

Build your fortress with bulwarks of floodgates along the major pathways so that entire sections can be sealed off.  Then, make the fortress selectively seal off and flood portions of itself as an automated defense.  Of course, the fortress would also have to drain and unseal those passages once the threat is gone or after a certain amount of time has elapsed.  In other words, do the flood defense without requiring any input from yourself once it's constructed.

Urist McCan'tswim has drowned.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

I created a pool in which grates and pumps take all of the spillage (a constant amount actually) and make the water into a waterfall. It makes the dwarves happy, due to the mist and they train at the same time. They train pretty quick because they are fighting against the fall.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:08 pm »

Urist McCan'tswim has drowned.

You disappoint me, my children. My fortress has been breached by filthy goblins crawling through the cracks. I have given you superdwarven toughness, armor, incredible strength enhancement, and you still fail to find insects much feebler than you. They have made it as far as level 8 and I fear they might reach farther. I am strengthening my palace to keep them out and I expect you to learn from your mistakes.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 06:21:47 pm »

For dwarves to enjoy it, it must contain alcohol and the mass slaughter of goblins.

When we get blood, alcohol, vomit, and tears with liquid volumes, the ideas should just pour forth.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 02:27:18 am »

*Considers the possibility of an alcohol river*

... Decadent much?
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 09:54:57 am »

For dwarves to enjoy it, it must contain alcohol and the mass slaughter of goblins.

Which means some sort of vast celebratory fireworks goblin-death machine. Something that uses barrels of rum, a magma ignition system, bridges, water timers and goblin filled cages to create flying burning goblins arcing into booze stockpiles.
You could have some artificial rain as well (it always rains for barbecues and firework displays) which would double as a fire extinguisher and a timing system so your goblin-rockets can go off in sequence. (Fill a big sloping tank with approriate pressure plates up the sides?)

All of this family fun available in your fortress at the pull of a lever!

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 10:01:07 am »

So what exactly does happen when magma hits a barrel of alcohol?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 11:15:39 am »

The alcohol vaporizes and makes a reddish cloud. Since the barrel's burnt away by the time the vapor's cleared, it was read as an explosion. Still kind of looks like one too.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 11:55:11 am »

Make an automated obsidian creation chamber.  There probably are a few ways to do it, but controlling the drop of water is the key.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Calenth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28:23 pm »

I created a pool in which grates and pumps take all of the spillage (a constant amount actually) and make the water into a waterfall. It makes the dwarves happy, due to the mist and they train at the same time. They train pretty quick because they are fighting against the fall.

Could I ask you to post the layout for this? If you are keeping it at a constant 4/7 depth it sounds perfect.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 11:41:52 am »

You see the Waterfall pool at http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m30/brdn666/Dwarf%20Fortress/

I wish I linked the pumps to a lever, so I could turn it off. Also, the depth of the pool varies, up to 5/7. This is due to the fact that my map freezes and I didn't know that it refills up to 7/7. The excess water is actually stored in the pump system. All the water down there is 7/7. If you have a freezing map, you can just build a roof over the water.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.
Pages: 1 [2]