Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-creature civs  (Read 1410 times)

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-creature civs
« on: July 01, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »

Seeing as the game can handle civilizations with different kinds of creatures living in them now (go go Goblins!), I was wondering if it would be possible to create a civilization that had multiple creatures in the entry definition.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Multi-creature civs
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:40 pm »

It's becoming more possible, I suppose, but the main stumbling block is still some fortress mode code.  I think a second race in your fortress would act somewhere between a dwarf and a pet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:33:36 pm »

It's becoming more possible, I suppose, but the main stumbling block is still some fortress mode code.  I think a second race in your fortress would act somewhere between a dwarf and a pet.

Personally, I think it would be best to have them act like any other member of the civilization, just with a lesser or greater chance of appearing. So say the player want to make a few humans populate dwarf settlements. He just puts in [CREATURE:HUMAN:10] and [CREATURE:DWARF:100] in the raws. So for every ten dwarf immigrants in a typical dwarf settlement there is one human immigrant. For backwards compatibility I think any creatures without numbers should automatically be assumed to be 100.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:35:57 pm by ivegotgoodabs »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:35 am »

Or better yet, the immigration ratio would be based on the total population of the civilization.  So if you're playing, say, a human civ that's conquered some dwarves, you'd have a chance of getting either, but prorated.  This would be more important for goblins and humans obviously, but since either one can be played with just a quick alteration, it would still be worthwhile.

Maybe each immigration wave should always include one member of whichever race youy civ nominally is - so like with that human civ in the devlog that had more elven slaves than human citizens, you'd get lots of elven immigrants, but always one human, to remind you who's in charge.  But even then, playing an all elven settlement ruled from afar by humans would be intriguiging too.

Obviously, this creates all sorts of new PowerGoals like immigrants arriving for different reasons; rebelling against your home civ; dealing with race relations in the settlement (elven citizens pissed that you robbed elven traders, enslaved goblins trying to make breakouts).  The possibilities are endless.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:20:51 am »

Or better yet, the immigration ratio would be based on the total population of the civilization.  So if you're playing, say, a human civ that's conquered some dwarves, you'd have a chance of getting either, but prorated.  This would be more important for goblins and humans obviously, but since either one can be played with just a quick alteration, it would still be worthwhile.

Maybe each immigration wave should always include one member of whichever race youy civ nominally is - so like with that human civ in the devlog that had more elven slaves than human citizens, you'd get lots of elven immigrants, but always one human, to remind you who's in charge.  But even then, playing an all elven settlement ruled from afar by humans would be intriguiging too.

Obviously, this creates all sorts of new PowerGoals like immigrants arriving for different reasons; rebelling against your home civ; dealing with race relations in the settlement (elven citizens pissed that you robbed elven traders, enslaved goblins trying to make breakouts).  The possibilities are endless.

There should still be a default ratio, if this is actually done.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:43:58 am »

"It's becoming more possible, I suppose, but the main stumbling block is still some fortress mode code"

I am glad it is becoming more and more possible. There are countless uses for it once it becomes up and running... from societies of the Beastmen (Or a Antman colony) to having thriving Demon societies.

Heck, even Goblins could use "Trolls" being an official member of society (I am assuming they arn't animals, Mercinary, or total slaves).

Well an Antman colony would be a bit more complex because not only do you have Multiple species such as Soldiers, Queens, Nurses, and Workers... but you have to have the Queen give birth to non-queens. Though I guess ANOTHER solution would be to have their military units be more powerful then usual... but then you don't get the cool effect of HUGE queens and flying princesses.

Anyhow if a society ever DOES allow immigrants I hope it keeps in mind that most societies are unsuitable for the other races a lot of the time... No one could stand living like an Elf and very few people count live like a Dwarf... Anytime you see an non-dwarf Immigrant in your fortress it should be due to two reasons In my humble oppinion.
1) Because you worked hard to make your fortress tollerable to that race
2) Because your darn lucky!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:26 am »

I want trolls named things like "Flint" and "Chrysoprase". And they should be barely sentient beings that drink magma (or at least really hot rock).

On-topic:

Having multiple types of creature would be nice, especially if there are differences in the various abilities of the races.

However, this brings up the issue of all civilisations becoming equal because they're basically all made up of the same races.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

However, this brings up the issue of all civilisations becoming equal because they're basically all made up of the same races.

I really don't see how that would be an issue, unless the player modded it like that.  Its not like we're saying that all civs should be:

[CREATURE:HUMAN]
[CREATURE:ELF]
[CREATURE:DWARF]
[CREATURE:GOBLIN]

or however that tag is structured.  It's mostly to create interesting mods, or at least it is for me.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:28:51 am »

Maybe a Civ tag 'accepts immigrants X%' that will allow up to X% of the population to not be the base, and then
[Immigrant Elf]
[Immigrant Troll]

etc...

Would be a good way to put trolls in with the goblins