Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unique worldgen buildings  (Read 976 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Unique worldgen buildings
« on: July 01, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »

As world generation is becoming more like an automated game of Civilization, with religion-inspired warfare in the next version, I had the crazy idea of putting in Wonders. Large enough cities would have a chance of generating a large, huge, expensive building unique to the world.

It should perhaps wait until town architecture gets a little bit more functional, but after that it would add some nice variance to bigger cities. And plot hooks for Adventure mode, as the things would quite possibly be full of treasure. And plot hooks for worldgen; goblins get envious of the Giant Golden Palace of a neighbouring human town, attack, seize, and then either keep or deface it.

This might even be implemented into Fortress mode. An architect goes fay, and you have a new building in the build menu that can only be built once, and that you have to build soon or the architect will go even more mad and kill something. The material requirements would be randomized, perhaps giving the player the standard building material choice of which stone block to use. And then, instead of just having a regular old cave shaped like a cathedral, you will have a named cathedral that gets it's events tracked. Although this might require multi-level buildings for the more magnificent structures.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unique worldgen buildings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 01:17:05 pm »

So basically, you want the AI to get bored and build massive pyramids too?
You're fey architect thing could prove problematic; would they just be super-fresh workshops or depots (like how other artifacts are simply very nice mundane objects- another ring, another rope, another adamantine spear...)
Or would it be a nice building with no real use? It could be like a self-contained 5x5 statue garden.
It could really screw up the l menu too; it would require a more code to differentiate between a regular artifact and a building artifact. and the t mode would have to be spruced up
"Orthoclase [ B ]
Clear glass spikes [ B ]
Obsidian rings [ B ]
etc etc"

I hate to be negative, but all I can see are problems. I do like the notion of making world-gen fortresses be less boring though.

Edit: I added spaces in between the [s and the Bs. I was going for the t menu thing which shows what is the building rather than just in the building.
Or maybe I just really liked random boldings, who can say.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:18:46 pm by Skizelo »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 01:33:26 pm »

The concept of blueprints should be coming, AKA the box of toys that AI-generated towns have to play with.  I can't imagine that not being added to the raws.  If/When that happens, Super rares (one-offs, etc) should be one of the frequency options.

I think that's what yer sayin'

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 01:39:52 pm »

So basically, you want the AI to get bored and build massive pyramids too?
Pretty much, yeah. Real world civilizations do it occasionally.
You're fey architect thing could prove problematic; would they just be super-fresh workshops or depots (like how other artifacts are simply very nice mundane objects- another ring, another rope, another adamantine spear...)
Or would it be a nice building with no real use? It could be like a self-contained 5x5 statue garden.
I was thinking mostly of the "self-contained statue garden"-variety, although now that you mention that possibility, having artifact-quality workshops, trade depots and manager's offices that provide a bonus to whatever is done there sounds somewhat intriguing.
It could really screw up the l menu too; it would require a more code to differentiate between a regular artifact and a building artifact. and the t mode would have to be spruced up
"Orthoclase
Clear glass spikes
Obsidian rings
etc etc"
I didn't really think about the interface too much. I suppose you're right, it might cause some problems.

Glutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:36:37 pm »

But why to screw the interface and building menu? Dwarfs usualy have very precise vision of what they wnat to do. So if the architect becomes fey he really know what masterpiece building they wnat to build (workshops, fastgrowing farm... and maybe there can be some few "special" buildings that could be build just by this way) and they know what material they want to use.
So... I suppose if he gots fey, you can just select to build  the "masterpiece building" from the Drawf details menu (under V-G could appear new choice) - then you will jsut place it were you like and let him work - even you can just select the place for building and let him to surprise you what will be build there.

The build menu will stay untouched. And the Dwarf general deatil will be little changed just for this little while.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »

I meant the artifact screen, which at the moment throws up descriptions of the item. This is impossible for buildings, so it'd have to be changed to recognize artifact rooms and zoom to them instead.
And that currently, rooms have no way of showing decorations (because they don't get any) and can only plainly state the name of it's building material. You could limit artifact building's raw materials to boulders, blocks and bars, or you could dick around with D.F. further to have the spikes and rings and images which are the best bits of artifacts at the moment.
Also, you'd have to add to the build menu "Artifact", or else they'll place them in the nearest open space... either in the middle of a corridor or outside, in the path of any troll, dragon or [other building destroyer], which would be irritating.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:49:32 pm »

Artifact workshops could have a number of interesting benefits that aren't too difficult to implement, wouldn't break the game, and would still be useful.

Accelerating the tasks that are done within is a good one.
My favorite would be massively increasing the number of objects that can be present in the workshop before it becomes "cluttered."
Increasing the effective skill level of whoever works there could also work

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:58 am »

I do agree that there needs to be more to make the world much more interesting and wonderous.

The inclusion of "Wonders" of all types would be excellent! and if they ever became ruins then the wonder should become every bit as horrible as they used to be wonderous.

These wonder should still be included in the "Site" section of legends. Though Artifact like descriptions are also good.

Though it is just one item on the list of buildings that need to be added
-Crypt
-Quarry
-Relay house
-Town Walls with Guard houses and towers with Seige weapons on top

I guess ontop of that a Wonder should have a set use or multi-use... so I guess they could be classified as
-Palace
-City (The Builder puts the entire city in a building)
-Crypt: A Pyramid is a type of Crypt
-Temple: Devoted to a god
-Laberinth: A place full of traps and foreign monsters... For entertainment purposes
-Sport Arena:
-Dojo: Legendary training area
-Vault:
-Art: No purpose... like a Garden, monument, or giant statue.

Then Subtypes could be from their shape... Towers, Spires, Pyramids, Keeps

Along with this... I guess Megabeasts should be able to demand wonders as well... which become Palaces or Temples

Wonders should be just as valuable and advantageos as a artifact or group of artifacts.

Wow I am sleepy... This is all I have to say on this subject... Just wanted to put in my two cents

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 11:12:05 am »

Eventually, I'm hoping that architecture will be more procedural, and somehow maybe even different from world-to world, and even throughout history from age-to-age... although that is a very abitious thing to talk about, since I definitely DON'T want houses and shops alike to be disorderly messes of rooms and doorways.

Maybe houses could be generated with a procedural model with a few assumptions such as at least one bedroom, eating room, and kitchen (although the table could admittedly be in the bedroom or kitchen, particularly in a one-bedroom house, so the eating room might not be necessary always). The same thing with temples.

If architects come into the mix, I'd hope that buildings by a particular architect might be similar in a way that isn't superficial, such as having a generally similar layout.