Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101523 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

((The avatar is recent actually. I tend to be wizard-prone and this one really appealed to me. As far as cave bees... do they actually serve a purpose? Can I extract delicious cave honey from them?))

4th of Moonstone

Things for the well system are progressing apace, despite a peasant getting trapped on the wrong side of a floodgate installed in the upper channel. The rubble has been completely cleared from the channel and it's almost ready to go. I've asked Oddbodd to take care of the linkages and he's stashed the levers that operate the water flow in the old kimberlite vein beyond the dining hall. The western lever operates the entrance into the upper channel, allowing it to fill. A second, smaller floodgate was also installed in the roof above the four downspouts in the ceiling of the well room to control flow better. The well itself is dug and cleared also, and the lower door locked to hold water. So everything is essentially in place for it's operation, with the exception of the drain.

For obvious reasons.

We've also had a child be possessed and claim a craftsdwarf workshop. He grabbed a vast assortment of items, including three chunks of magnetite ore, and some of the light yellow diamonds. His work is impressive, but not particularly useful. Perhaps it shall be a gift to King Tosid when he arrives.

Training continues well, and thanks, in no small part to Aardvark's armor and the metal, courtesy of Pete, Oddbodd and, strangely, Der Kartoffel, who has been helping out at the smelters, no lasting training injuries have been sustained. I dare not take any unskilled fighters when we go, but I think that if we take our best, and equip ourselves well, it may be sufficient to carry the day.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice to see things progressing

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magma is overrated.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

Actually there's no such thing as a cave bee.
The only bees are in my mind.
Oh god the bees.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually there's no such thing as a cave bee.
The only bees are in my mind.
Oh god the bees.

The old Flem Comics?

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((What do you mean there is no such thing as a cave bee?

They die all the time in the cave spider and large cave spider webs near the chasm. In fact, they're the reason I cannot simply leave 'Dwarves gather refuse from outside' on.))

25th of Moonstone

We've suffered from yet another ambush today. I find it quite disturbing that the goblin activity has increased so drastically here. I was one of the few prepared to respond, and of those, undoubtedly the quickest. By the time I got topside to see what was going on I was able to notice that there were only six goblins. One, the leader, was chasing Der Kartoffel, another was after our leatherworker and the remaing four were after one of our weavers. I immeadiately took off after the four, and quickly began running them to ground. When I got close three of them broke of to engage me. A fatal mistake on their part.

By the time I caught up with the fourth chasing the weaver the rest had realized their losses and began running away, leaving our civilians alone. Der Kartoffel and the leatherworker were fortunate to have kept their wits about them enough to run well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:48:04 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

12th of Granite

Nearly a score of dwarves stood gathered in the barracks, clad in resplendant and glossy high steel plate. Another half dozen stood to one side, crossbows at the ready, quivers full of celestrial steel bolts. There was little more they could do to prepare, but the nervous tension was palpable in the room.

As Paulus entered a low hum of whispers ran through it. He'd called them all together so that he could adress them before they headed out. He stood in front of them, Slapflooded gleaming in the torch light of the barracks. He cleared his throat and was about to speak when a dwarf slammed open the door and ran to his side, whispering in his ear.

"What do you mean the elves have arrived to trade? Is it that time of year already?"

He sighed and thought for a moment. He didn't trust them, and neither did many of the others.

"Very well, Tun, take your marksdwarf squad and post watch there for the duration of their stay. You'll help cover the entrance against thieves as well."

Their newest ranger saluted smartly and led half a dozen others with him down and out to the trade depot to await the elves.

The other dwarves had relaxed slightly when Paulus cleared his throat again to get their attention. They quieted down quickly and he began:

"Now, as some of you know we've got a threat to our fair fortress that's been stewing for some time. It's long since time we took care of it. I know some of you are still a little inexperienced, that you have concerns, and I assure you, I share them.

But take a look down at your armor. It's High steel, of Aardvarks make and a better armorer I've not seen in my life. That armor will turn aside all but the strongest of blows from most mortal races and should serve us well as we fight the immortal ones as well. The weapons you have were forged by Pete herself, and are either High steel as well, or, where experience warrants, celestrial steel even. Equipped as such and with the training you've received I would expect even half a dozen of you to decimate squads of goblins with ease.

But..."

The door burst open again and Paulus whirled on the agitated dwarf.

"Bloody Hell, what is it THIS time?"

The young recruit in training blanched.

"Sir, it appears that we are besieged. A vile force of insectmen have appeared on the horizon and are guarding our exits."

Paulus put his head in his hand for a moment and cursed silently. Things were never simple.

"Very well. Have the civilians brought in. Secure the gates. You lot," He said, pointing to the more inexperienced soldiers, " You'll stand guard at the gate for the time being. The siege can wait, but I want you to form up in front of the archers should the attack be launched and our gates fall. Bembul, Crush, Litast, Fre, you're with me. We strike now before anything else can show up to stop us."

The five headed out, passing through the well room, into the alcove tucked in the back of it. Several grim-faced dwarves on break and relaxing near the soothing microcline well looked on, but did not speak. A trio of masons followed close behind, stopping only on the other side of the door and at the top of the stairs that led below.

When the group reached the darkened passageway that had been intended for a drain Paulus signaled for a halt.

"Bembul, this is where we part company. You're the only one apart from us that has the skill and equipment to withstand such foes. Honestly, I'm relieved the others did not have to come, it likely would have been the cause of much death and little good.

I'm asking you to remain here as a rear-guard. Should the rest of us fall I want you to give a shout out to the masons above. They've been instructed to wall us all in and release the river into the drain should we fail. You're to hold the passageway as long as you can before falling back."

Bembul's disappointment showed on her face, but she understood the reasoning and saluted smartly before detaching herself from the group.

"Aye, I understand. It's something your brother might have said as well. Best of luck to ye."

Paulus nodded and the group continued on to the two rooms prepared for the confrontation. A corner had been fortified and had a bin full of bolts for Fre to use. A door secured the fortifications and could be closed behind them, sealing them in. A narrow passageway led to the front room, and in the opposite wall the sealed doorway leading below.

The foursome took up positions, Fre behind the fortifications, Crush on one side of the passageway, Paulus on the other. He took a heavy iron key from a leather strip around his neck and handed it to Litast.

"Litast, you're tasked with removing the wall. Just do it quick like and then run like hell back here, sealing the doors behind you. That should give you enough time to suit up again and join us."

Crush's protegee swallowed once and nodded, setting aside his shield and mace and heading down the passageway into the silent room beyond. The wall was still there and it took some doing to remove the blocks that had been mortared in place as well as free the rubble beyond. In a cascade of dust the final stones came loose and Litast ran back.

In the ensuing silence a single voice called out.

"Damel Werecloisters, we've come for you."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:43:03 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((What do you mean there is no such thing as a cave bee?

They die all the time in the cave spider and large cave spider webs near the chasm. In fact, they're the reason I cannot simply leave 'Dwarves gather refuse from outside' on.))

25th of Moonstone

We've suffered from yet another ambush today. I find it quite disturbing that the goblin activity has increased so drastically here. I was one of the few prepared to respond, and of those, undoubtedly the quickest. By the time I got topside to see what was going on I was able to notice that there were only six goblins. One, the leader, was chasing Der Kartoffel, another was after our leatherworker and the remaing four were after one of our weavers. I immeadiately took off after the four, and quickly began running them to ground. When I got close three of them broke of to engage me. A fatal mistake on their part.

By the time I caught up with the fourth chasing the weaver the rest had realized their losses and began running away, leaving our civilians alone. Der Kartoffel and the leatherworker were fortunate to have kept their wits about them enough to run well.

BEEEEEES
Vicious insect-men as well :(

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Legendary Lands HFS Spoiler alert.))

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:40:45 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously mate, very very good write up, you do very good battles.
Magma is overrated.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OH SHI-
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a quick inspection of the areas beneath their fortress the four returned up above, all but Paulus heading for the dining hall where they could get a drink or a bite to eat. Paulus and Bembul  headed above to inspect the siege.

"D'ya suppose they'll come in ta play with us?"

Paulus scanned the horizon to see the group of insectmen and saw few weapons other than the natural ones.

"I don't know. I'm not familiar with this enemy. Seems like they're content to stay put for now."

Bembul grinned, hefting her axe.

"Shall we go have some fun then?"

Paulus nodded.

"Aye, let's. The others should be along momentarily. I'll cover your back, since ye didn't get any action below."

Bembul smiled and headed out, making her way quickly but reasonably stealthily along the dusty path, ensuring she kept some trees between her and their intended targets until they were closer.

The duo peeked around a large acacia tree, dark green leaves providing shade above them. Then with a mighty cry Bembul charged the group of insectmen. Their surprise was evident as several of them fluttered into the air, hovering above the fray. Bembul tore into the large cluster with such ferocity and vigor that the oversized insects were quickly outmatched. Her axe clove through chitin and flesh with ease, scattering limbs, wings, and other parts throughout the area.

Once she was almost overcome when a large group of wrestlers piled on top of her but Paulus and Cryptmirror were there, slashing, cutting and ensuring that none stayed near for long. It was a tight thing when Cryptmirror got stuck in the carapace of a fallen insectman, wrenched out of Paulus' grip. Another wrestler flew up behind him and tried to pin him, but he whirled, smashing his steel-gauntleted fist into it's head, knocking it to the ground. He pummeled it into paste, broken carapace oozing into the dust beneath it.

Then Fre was there as well, sending bolt after bolt, zooming into the creatures, and knocking them out of the air with deadly accuracy and Paulus was able to recover his sword while Bembul fended the others off. It was over quickly after that, some few wounded ones managed to fly off, while those that stayed, quickly died.

Peace came again to the fortress and the clean-up began, inside and out.

((Thanks for the comments, they're always appreciated. After the HFS the siege was kind of anti-climatic. Only 15 insectmen wrestlers. I'll try to post kill counts and such later. Amusingly, Crush's protegee, Litast, got most of the kills below. Heh. I also learned that an artifact shortsword made of Bismuth, is cool, but likely not as effective as one made of anurite, regardless of quality.))
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:51:12 am by Paulus Fahlstrom »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was half-expecting demon bees, funnily enough.
Bees on the brain, I have.
(brass and iron stripes, with wings of copper filament, ah, if only I had the Engineers of Olonkulet.)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Ok... here's the stats for those interested in them.

Crush: 8 elves
Litast: 9 elves, Damel Werecloisters
Fre: 1 elves, innumerable assists. (three bolts alone in Damel)
Paulus: 2 elves, 1 Insectoid
Bembul: 13 Insectoids

Titles:
Ragnar Bookbridges the Virtuous Clutches of Barricading
Crush Findgear the Crewed Heather of Clutches
Litast Ringwades the Insensitive Excavation of Artifice
Paulus Ringpoints the Heavenly Scaly Fangs of Speech

We'll be diverging the story line here in a little bit. I'll be starting the third and final chapter, which is planned to be vast compared to the previous. Because of a strange glitch I cannot abandon this fortress and embark on another so I'll be splitting things. I've got the original unstarted world saved that I can embark from, so I'll be using that for the next fortress.

I'll continue with this fortress for as long as it is pertinent to my story line, then we'll see what happens to it. In any case, I'll have the next story up and running by the end of the week. It should be fun!

I'm designing it to be a vast fortress for adventurers and whatnot to play with upon abandon. Because of the size and story line I'll be severely limiting the population, particularly at first. In any case, I'm very excited for this next part, so I'll try to keep posting frequently until I'm caught up to current game time.))

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Paulus walked down the cluttered drainage shaft that he had dug over a year prior, stepping lightly to one side as dwarves hurried by, carrying various objects. His purpose here was a peculiar one. The only denizens to have survived were the half-mad avatar. Nothing else remained. But it was with them that he had his business.

The first he saw babbled incoherently, the second paid no attention to any of their surroundings. The others were in similar straits he found, not responding to any prompting, locked forever in their minds in the hell that had been created for them by Damel. Tucked into a corner of the upper room he found at last one who seemed to have some presence of mind. The avatar sat, crosslegged in a gleaming silver cage, and studied him as he approached.

He made no motion as Paulus reached out to examine the cage but once he had placed his hand on it the avatar's arm shot out catching him by the wrist.

"You must listen to me dwarf."

His grip was like steel, but twisting down and out Paulus broke his grip and backed away a step.

"Speak if you will, but I MUST do nothing."

The avatar bowed his head slightly.

"I see. Your race has learned much since the elder days." He guestured to the dwarven arms and armor. "Your race has nearly perfected metallurgy from what I can tell, as well as the forging of weapons and empowering them. And you have learned a great presence of mind, as well as coherent thought. Unexpected for a race with such short memories.

But it is not of such I wish to speak.

You are to be congratulated in the slaying of the Baron, Damel. His stain has been too long on this earth, and you have succeeded where so many others failed, though his weakness was an advantage to you."

Paulus studied the avatar.

"You seem to be allied with order, shall I release you then from this prison? Would you join your brethren in their freedom?"

He laughed a harsh laugh, full of anger instead of mirth.

"No, that you can even touch this cage testifies that you are not evil, as such. But my 'brethren' infused this cage with their power to keep one of us safe from the evil, to witness Damel's release, or his fall, whichever should come. By empowering this cage they were weakened, and have fallen into madness, from which I fear there is no return. Only I was protected, but this cage cannot be opened so easily, else it would have been long ago by the demons.

No, you cannot release me in the way you think. There is but one release for me. One release for all of us remaining. Your kind should know it well."

"You do not seek life then?"

He laughed again.

"Life? Do not speak to me of life. I have lived for eons, and have been imprisoned for millenia.

Life is, in a word, death.

And as such, that is what I seek now. You are a deathbringer whether you like it or not. Act as such again,  not as an enemy would, but as a friend. Only the fires of the earth can truly cleanse us now."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:28:40 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clean up from the battles continues apace, though I wonder now if we should have let so many dwarves down into the accursed place to clean things up. Some of the images on the wall are quite ... disturbing. In any case, that is not the greatest of our concerns at the moment.

The King has arrived, dressed as a peasant.

With him came the tax-collector, Hammerer, and a pair of royalty. Fortunately we've already got rooms cut out and started and I'll likely have to ask Oddbodd to work up some suitably impressive furniture for them. Perhaps out of high-steel, platinum or aluminum. Nothing like his work to impress the newcomers I think. In any case, it seemed strange to me that they would travel all this way alone, but as they were entering I spied another dwarf off in the distance. I suspect I know who it was, though not why they've not come closer.

Only two days after they all arrived and the nobles and king were busy getting situated did I finally run into him. Led, my old friend/cell-mate from Dorenemal, and if I understood Tholtig correctly before he died, now the leader of a group of cultists.

He approached, smiling slightly.

"Paulus, you look well. Different somehow, but well."

"Aye, you too. Too skinny by far. Come in and get some food."

"I'd appreciate that, but I fear I'll be recognized by the nobles and King Tosid has recommended that I not be seen. I've been travelling with the group all the way from the coast."

He patted a bismuth bronze crossbow tethered to his belt.

I nodded.

"Ah, I wondered. Just a Hammerer as guard seemed a bit risky for the King himself."

"It wasn't really for him I came."

"Why did you come? I'm afraid Tholtig has been dead now for nearly six months."

Led rocked back on his heels slightly, surprised at the news.

"Then it is true. I'd had a dream in which he appeared to me and told me he had failed."

"Failed? In what?"

"I'd asked him to come here to establish a place where we could come and not be persecuted. If he is dead then here is not the place for us."

"Ah, it was an accident. Apparently the others died on the journey through the swamps. He was killed during a goblin ambush when he went to gather bones."

Led looked thoughtful for a moment before replying.

"Then he died well and there is no more I can ask of him. He told you of our persecution?"

"Aye, he did, and you'd have been welcome here were it up to me. The merchants got a little huffy about trading with us when they saw him, but other than that we've had no issues."

"I was concerned that it would spread, but without an established population it would be folly to move here now that it is the new mountainhome. It will be too closely watched to be safe for us."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Aye, me too. There is an alternative in the works, though."

"Good. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. You are family as far as I'm concerned, regardless of who you worship."

Led cocked his head to one side and looked at me queerly, thinking.

"Then join us."

"What?"

"We need help, and I can think of no one more capable for it. Join us."

I had to think for a moment, but the more I thought the more the idea appealed to me. I could remember the societal corruption that had set in when Dorenemal had grown too large and could see the beginnings of that already here. It would only be worse with the king and royalty here now.

"What do you intend?"

"I've been busy sending out scouts to survey the land. You know who we worship right?"

"Come to think of it, no."

He smiled.

"Then let me tell you of the virtues of our godess, Mondul.

Life is, in a word, death.

..."

He talked for some time about their deity, Mondul, but it was that sentence that struck me profoundly. The avatar had said such as well. It reminded me of what he had called me.

Deathbringer.

Perhaps that was what decided my mind. Perhaps it was that members of my clan needed help and I was duty-bound to render assistance to my friends. Led was still talking when I blurted out.

"I will go."

He stopped, abruptly. And grinned wide.

"Great, when can you leave? I've already set things in motion before I left. The most known and persecuted members of our order are to meet us at the proscribed location. They should be bringing our supplies."

"Give me three days. I'll tell my friends and arrange for departure. What should I take."

"Take a warhammer. You'll need it."

"Not a sword?"

"No. You'll see. This place we go is like a mecca to us. A place of worship and devotion, but one in which much evil exists as well. We have been commanded to cleanse it and return the evil to it's proper state. You'll want a warhammer."

I nodded.

"I'll meet you here in three days then. I'll bring supplies for our return journey."

There was much to do, and I felt an eagerness and purpose that I only now realized had been lacking after the recent battles. I would have to arrange for my disappearance. There was a swordsman in the military that I had taught. He would be willing to assume my identity so I would not be missed by those who knew me not. I would have to discreetly tell my friends. And the King. Tosid had greeted me heartily when he arrived and had been impressed with how much had gotten done. Doubly so when I showed him the adamantine deposits below, and he had promised me a boon for my work. It was time to call that in.

I wondered briefly if the others would follow after me and join me in our new home. Ragnar and Kolok were too injured to travel yet, and Oddbodd would stay with Ragnar, of course. Pete and Crush still had responsibilities in the fortress and could not so easily leave, as did Aardvark, now that his precious forges were running and he had a massive military to equip. I considered asking Fre to come, she would fit in, I felt, well enough. And I would sorely miss her cooking. But could I ask that of her? I wasn't sure.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 12:35:57 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50