Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101488 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

((Here's a few screenies of the second hall, I.e. Fre's cantina.

That's lower floor (food storage), main hall with entrance into the Third Hall, or grand Hall, and the upper floor with farms (mostly Thesaurusaurus), kitchen (Fre only in there folks!), brewery (mostly Fath) and storage for seeds, bags and barrels. Oh, and a food processing workshop. It's still kinda chaotic, and I really need to dig another storage level for food.

Fre, here's your current inventory:
1 Masterwork Orthoclase statue (middle of stairs on main dining level)
2 Rhyolite doors for back access stairs (one exceptional the other superior, both unadorned)
2 Exceptionally decorated Masterwork Orthoclase entry doors. (room for a sign, I'll leave to you what you want your pub/cantina to be named)
1 Exceptionally decorated superior Orthoclase table (near door)
5 Masterwork Orthoclase tables (three decorated to exceptional levels, all three on your 'bar' near the top of the room)
7 Exceptional Orthoclase tables (6 decorated to exceptional levels, all on your bar)
7 Exceptional Orthoclase chairs (3 decorated to exceptional levels at your bar)
1 superior Orthoclase chair
1 Masterwork Orthoclase chair (decorated to exceptional levels at your bar)
1 superior Mica chair
6 Exceptional Mica chair
5 Masterwork Mica chair
3 Masterwork Mica tables
6 Exceptional Mica tables
1 superior Mica table
4 Exceptional Rhyolite tables
1 superior Granite table
2 Exceptional Granite tables
1 Masterwork Granite table
3 Exceptional Granite chairs
1 Masterwork Granite chair

The average value for each decorated item is about 350 ingots, otherwise about 75 on average.
You also have over 1000 types of drink of all kinds, and almost 200 of each category of food. (meat, plants, fish, and 400 other, with no room to make more at the moment.)

Other food service workers directly include Fath. Thesaurusaurus helps with farming.

Oh and you've got countless fabulous engravings courtesy of Boink. On walls on the main level only. Anyways, I may get more posts in before vacation, I may not. We'll see.

So if not, have a happy American Indepenence Day!!!

Oh, and below is a spoiler of decorations on the more amusing pieces of furniture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

Wow, Paulus.  It's great!  The bar is just as envisioned, and the rest of the materiel is excellent.  I especially like that little table for one in the back, good to sip your ale while watching over the others.  Having a table with Led surrounded by backpacks is pretty humorous too.

As to the name out front, like all things in Dwarf Fortress, it shall be decided by the random name generator (though with a few rejects).  Let's see...

The Dye of Responsibilities
The Uncommon Standard                                Not bad.  Our Standards of "Good" are vastly superior.
The Whip of Intensity
The Knife of Pets
The Bold Anvil                                                I like this one too.  Just sounds like the name of a pub.
The Theatre of Clarifying
The Post of Distractions
The Hairy Wall
The Jade Roof                                               More like a Chinese restaurant, but still a restaurant.

Alright, out of those 10, I think I'm going with "The Bold Anvil."  A tavern of fame throughout the land.  Thanks Paulus.  To be completely honest, I had somewhat forgotten that request.  You sure pull through.  And have a happy 4th!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

16th of Granite

Led was up above, enjoying some fresher air, even if it were bitingly cold still. Construction on the walls had begun again recently, though many were still busy bringing in goods from the fallen avar and the caravan. It would have been nice to make the entire structure out of one single type of stone, but it was equally appropriate to use the mixture of Andesite, Felsite, Granite and Orthoclase that the mountain itself was composed of.

An out of breath runner came up to greet him.

"Sir, Fre reported some activity on our northern perimeter. Two groups of insectoid have been spotted battling undead there. And several scouts of theirs were caught in our traps as they tried to sneak in."

Led frowned, but nodded.

"Thank you Asmel. Ask Sarah to stand guard at the gate. And alert the others that we might have trouble and to be ready to move if absolutely necessary. If they stay up there we'll leave them be for now. But forbid retrieval of goods as well, just to be sure. Oh, and seal the trade gates."

The dwarf saluted briefly before running off.

Led stared out into the environs.

Why could they not just be left alone?

Then after a moment thought he grinned.

It just wouldn't be as interesting. And besides, Mondul has her reasons. It would all be to her glory should they persevere. And would still serve her will if not.

((Thanks Fre. I know I'd probably use the single table myself, it's just the way I am. I also thought the backpack fetish very amusing. As for the name, sounds great. I'll work it in before too long. I do my best to remember requests, but sometimes it doesn't fit into the story at the time. It'll get there eventually, but some things just take longer. Don't worry, this story is all about dwarven perseverence, among other things.))
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:58:34 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

19th of Granite Logs of the Fortress, Paulus Fahlstrom clerk

The experience of being injured hasn't improved any since the last time I was. At the very least, however, my injuries are less severe and I hope to be fully recovered soon enough. I'm able to write, albeit slowly, with my injuries, but as I've little else to do paperwork seems a reasonable exercise.

We've apparently caught more insectoid spies in some of our cage traps and at least two others were spooked when they were seen attempting entry. One of them in it's haste to depart nearly eviscerated Mosus' cat in the entry way and the cat itself collapsed on top of one of our cage traps. I've considered having it left in the trap and putting it near Mosus' bed, but I think releasing it to fend for itself would be a more suitable thing. A wounded animal serves no purpose and it would be better for even a cat to go down fighting than live years with crippling injuries.

Ragnar has come to visit me recently as well, requesting to be released from military service to return to mining duties. I've given her leave to do so of course, and as an additional gift for her service given her the anurite shovel we've reclaimed from the elves. In her hands it's both a magnificent tool as well as a deadly weapon. Perhaps I should begin calling her the 'Shoveller'. I jest of course.

Boink's work on the animal tombs continues well, but persistent trouble from the flying corpses plagues the work in the crack. Perhaps I'll ask Sarah to breach a few of the prepared locations and take care of them. But there is time for that later as she's busy working on Mondul's temple along with most of the others. I'm told they've finally begun raising the walls of the temple further and things there are progressing, despite the need for hundreds more blocks. Perhaps thousands before we're entirely finished.

One of the delays was the construction of a residence around our liason, who still stubbornly insists he's 'fine' and that it's just a 'flesh wound'. He's not left the peak nearby and I know for a fact that Led has gone to visit him several times. He's now got a summer home here, meager as it is, it should keep him out of the sun.

((Any ideas with how I can deal with an amputee liason let me know. He keeps passing out all the time.))

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Might Boink get to execute a few prisoners to blow off some steam? A dead chicken is a heavy burden on the mind)).
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I'll see to it. Boink will actually come up in the next post, and I'm about three posts ahead at the moment, but I'll see it happens here soon enough.))

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st of Slate

Ragnar awoke with a start, staring up at the smooth stone ceiling of her room. In the dark air above her she could almost still see the outline of two fiery eyes from her dream, and hear the subtly shifting voice of her Lord. It was the day of rebirth and now was the time for her to awaken and get to work.

Rolling out of bed she washed her face briefly using a large stone bowl and pitcher on her table and grabbed her shovel from where it rested against the wall. She hefted it again and shook her head. At first she'd thought it far too light to be an effective tool but she'd found to her delight that it cut through granite as if it were almost sand. And surprisingly it's edge had not even begun to show signs of wear. A light knock on her door signalled the arrival of Boink. She'd spoken with her the day before and as the skilled engraver had no specific work to do she'd agreed to help Ragnar out, in return for similar treatment in the future.

Ragnar quietly opened her door and Boink entered, before the sturdy miner closed it again behind her and sealed it with a small brass key in her pocket.

"Is that really necessary Ragnar?"

Ragnar nodded once, almost hesitantly. "Aye lass. Ah don't want to arouse anyone's wrath just yet. But everythin's prepared b'low."

The pair, each with the respective tools of their trade descended through Ragnar's prized hatch covers into the store-room below. It was filled to the brim with barrels of supplies. Boink gave Ragnar an inquisitive look, one eyebrow raised.

"How long are you planning on us being down there?"

Ragnar shrugged.

"S'long as it takes. I persuaded Fre dat dis space here was open. S'her private storage fer now. Only the finest o' her meals and quality liquor."

Ragnar grinned and set to work, digging a shaft downwards in the back of the room, behind the barrels, carving out a small circular staircase as she went. Her dream had shown her the way, but in the semi-darkness her doubts began again to assail her. Still, she headed directly south, her innate sense of direction allowing her to carve a single straight line as she bent herself to her task.
Boink behind her could not keep up with her pace, as every square she emptied made several surfaces for the other to smooth.

It seemed like an eternity to her, and as she got tired or sleepy she simply returned to her room to rest, but gradually the tunnel took shape, a straight shaft through the stone; granite, microcline, obsidian, copper veins, a small gemstone pocket hastily mined out as a matter of habit, before the shaft began taking her into felsite and then obsidian again until it was warm to the touch. A small shout of joy that echoed down the tunnel brought Boink running to see what was going on and together the pair began exploring the size of their find. A floor down they found no warm magma at all, revealing it to be a small magma pocket and as they went up Ragnar broke through into a large underground chamber.

A reddish glow filled the room as she entered and the walls glistened with the reflected heat. Above them on the ceiling she could see a few of the longer tree roots that had made it down through the hard-packed sandy soil above them, tunnelling to the warmth. The air was stifling in the room and when she broke through it was as if the air from the pool had rushed by her to mix with that of the tunnel. It was stale, and smelled of earth and heat, but clean enough.

For a second or two of silence the two dwarves stood in awe at the fiery lake before them, taking in the sight of the power of the earth itself. It was then that a series of bubbles rose to the surface of the lake, large and bulbous. Eight red eyes stared at them in disgust as if they'd interrupted their peace and invaded their slowly shrinking sanctuary. Three clambered out of the pool on the western side as a gout of fire appeared in one of their hands. It was hurled haphazardly at the pair of dwarves and thanks to their innate reflexes both managed to dodge out of the way.

Ragnar rolled towards them underneath the fire as it rushed past her, spattering into the stone wall behind her. Three of the fire imps lay before her and with a mighty roar she charged them. She met the first just as she passed around the northern tip, laying into it with the flat of her shovel. The imps head caved in from the force and the small body when flying to strike the wall past her. The remaining two pounced, flames enveloping them as they tried to grapple with the sturdy dwarf. Their fires seemed to have little effect on the tough dwarf though, doing little more than singe the dirt encrusted miner as she sliced about her with her spade, severing limbs left and right.

The fourth imp had breached the surface on the eastern side and it wasn't until a second fireball whooshed within a foot of her hair that Boink realised it had emerged. She looked down at her hands and saw her well used hammer and chisel and realized quickly that they'd be useless, dropping them at her feet she considered fleeing for a split second. She had no combat experience or training, no knowledge of the creature before her and no weapon but her own body against an infernal creature of fire. But in her minds eye she saw her pet, slain by the bolt of an Avar and she flew into a rage, covering the distance between them in seconds.

Her labors had hardened her more than she would have imagined and when she tackled the diminuative imp she barely registered the impact, nor the flames or heat. Rolling quickly off the stunned imp she began pounding on it's body, grabbing an arm and placing her foot on it's chest and twisting. She'd seen the wrestling move done before by her brothers but perhaps she underestimated her strength as she heard the bones snap beneath her grip. She continued her hold at the imp's eyelids opened and it howled in pain despite the burning of her hands she was now beginning to truly feel. She wrenched again and with a shattering crunch and tearing flesh she removed the arm entirely from the creature, tossing it to the ground in disgust next to her. The creature began to stir and in a fury she began kicking it. With a final kick the body flew a few feet away and the creature stirred no more. Boink sank onto her knees as her adrenaline faded and her burns became more noticeable. Blisters were already beginning to form on her palms and the smell of burnt hair began to fill the room.

Tears filled her eyes as she began to cry, but Ragnar was there at her side then, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

"There, there lass. Ye did right well fer yerself. Let's go on back to de rooms. I think we'll be needin' a good long drink and a break after dis."

Boink allowed herself to be led back, decidedly unhappy at being attacked and burned on top of all her other problems.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Late Spring

Asmel trudged up the slope carrying the heavy felsite chunk of rock on her back, head bent down as she ascended. The labor was simple enough, and there was plenty of it. She had food, shelter and even a few casual acquaintances again. After the chaos she'd been through it seemed a significant gain in her mind. She shuddered again as her mind wandered back to that horrific boat ride across the ocean.

Never again.

She had missed the beauties of the old world though. Halls carved, smoothed and engraved. Cities that were centuries old and perfected through labor and care. Those that weren't destroyed by ineptitude in the nobility and leadership.

A flash on insight struck her then. An image in her mind of a thing she'd seen as a child long ago. Long before she'd settled in Etagzasit.

With that image in mind she dropped her stone and ran to the nearest workshop, frantically gathering the material she would need before the image she could almost see with her eyes disappeared from her mind.

She knew where all the materials were, it only remained to bring them together in the proper method. Her burgeoning skill as a mason helped her to shape and mould the stone and though it was painstakingly slow she took care that it be perfect along every step of the way. Nearly a week later she sat, exhausted in both mind and body and stared at the perfection that lay in the stone dust before her.

It was an inspiration. A reminder of times past and times to come. That they, as dwarves, must not forget to make, to create with the hoards they gathered. Items of beauty, skill and power. Few races had such skill as the dwarves, and none could have managed such a feat as this.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Log of the Fortress- in the hand of Paulus Fahlstrom

Summer has arrived, and with it our human trading partners. After last year we've seen that they're well provided for. They've brought the usual and we took all that we needed. Some food and drink, but mostly bars and wood. I'm sure we'll use it eventually.

In exchange we offered them a fair trade but on top of that gave them a large quantity of goods from the avarii that they could use and were of high quality. Thesaurusaurus provided me the lists of goods traded and acquired so that I could update the records.

From what we have learned the human spearman that helped us last year with the avar ambush is called Ikim Bestratamed (also known as Fortunespooned in their tongue). We've sent along a gift for him of a fine set of large red-backed spider silk clothing taken from the avar as well as a few small bars of gold. He more than earned it. Perhaps once we get our true forges up and running we'll send him a more suitable gift.

The humans seemed pleased with our exchanges and promised to bring more of the same next year.

Khain came and visited me as well, grinning like a madman and holding a bottle of rum in her hand.

"Looks like I get all the fun jobs today."

She took a quick swig and poured some on on my right arm, the clear liquid pouring over the bolt still embedded in my upper arm.

"Give me a swig of that too."

She grinned some more, taking another swig.

"No can do. You're an invalid. Can't have alcohol. Impedes healing or somesuch. Now hold still."

Grabbing the bolt firmly she gave one swift yank. The bolt came free with a sharp pain and the blood began to flow a little. She poured a little more rum on it before taking another deep draught himself, draining the rest of the bottle and setting the empty flask next to my bed.

"Well, I better go dump this." She waved and smiled again, leaving the infirmary whistling and clutching the iron bolt.

Remarkably, my arm did feel better now that it was no longer in there, though I think I'll prefer not to have Khain as my nurse ever again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:58:18 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mid-summer Journal of Led

It seems that another of our little flock has had inspiration struck. We've had two masons now in the past few months come up with brilliant ideas for items to create and it seems the first has inspired the second. Personally I suspect that my own creation had more than a little to do with this one as well, as it too is a coffin.

Morul Cattenison, recently added to our flock before my departure to Onol Lened has created a magnificent coffin. I've got plans for mine to be displayed in Mondul's temple itself but this one is also a spectacular creation. If somewhat plainer.

Still, as the name implies it's a perfectly smoothed piece of mica, with pieces cut so that no matter how you look at it it reflects the light back at you, sparkling from almost every surface and perhaps because of that it seems almost to glow. Strangely enough it only works that way for firelight and not for normal sunlight, though even in the sun it is brilliant enough. I'll provide a brief description below for the record.

P.S. As a very beneficial side-note both masons that recently made artifacts have made profound insights into their chosen profession and are on par with Glacies even. Three such talent masons will surely help speed the construction along!

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Early fall

Draconius rubbed his hands together as the ascended the stairs towards the trade hall. The dwarven caravan awaited them there and after the insolences suffered previously Led had decided to make available the job of broker to any who wanted it at the time. It was his turn to deal with the unbelievers, the revilers of their kind.

He knew he would have to make the trade but in his mind he already knew how little he would try to offer them. As if they had the right to take their hard-earned riches for themselves! No! Despite the promise of generosity from the Hound he could not bring himself to it.

When he arrived at the Depot and inspected the wares he was even more convinced. Nothing of what they had requested had been brought. Even the merchants seemed somewhat nervous about their reception here. The Liason from last year hadn't been heard of since and it was only just before they arrived that they came upon him, still stubbornly trying to make his way back to meet with Led on the slopes outside the gates. He'd told them what had happened.

Draconius had found some of the items to be useful. He'd accepted several of the blocks made from more scarce stone, including a block of native gold and another of native celestrium. And the caravan had brought a goodly number of steel items, armor and a few weapons. And in a pair of barrels in the back he found wheels of wax-sealed cheese, another tempting find for him personally. He began trading off all the goods they hadn't needed, armor and clothing from the avar, weapons as well, those that were unneeded, as well as plenty of crafted goods that had been made. But when he proposed the deal the merchants had scoffed. And decided to make a counter offer. One had seen the copper spear that was Led's as well as the Hound's terronite chainmail and decided that they would make a good counter-offer. 20000 ingots of counter offer.

After much haggling back and forth they finally settled on things. Draconius had grudgingly given up fourteen thousand ingots in profit for what they'd obtained, but he'd managed to keep both the spear and chainmail. Of course the final gift of nearly three dozen gold bars had rankled him as well, but no one seemed willing to break the deal the Hound had made.

Perhaps next time he'd be able to cheat the merchants out of more goods... he really was getting the hang of this trading thing.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

17th of Sandstone

Thob and Fikod were both carrying granite blocks from the workshop below to the construction site on the summit. The weather above was warm, and a cool draft rose from the depths behind them as they emerged into the first hall. An odd series of clicks and noises interrupted their speech as they entered and as they looked before them they nearly panicked as a pair of large insectoid creatures rose up before them in the entryway. The creatures advanced menacingly, only to be swallowed seconds later by a pair of cunningly placed cage traps in the entryway. Still, the experience had spooked them and they raised the cry of alarm throughout the halls.

Ambush!

Insectmen are invading the fortress!

Fikod dashed outside to see if she could see more while Thob headed below to alert the others and raise the cry. Below her on the slopes she could make out more strange shapes and fled back indoors. One of them followed her swiftly making it's way through the entry into the stone corridor beyond, prey in sight. It was, perhaps, it's haste that was it's downfall, as it too suddenly found the floor beneath it fall away and though it tried to find a hold, was unable to do so, finding itself swiftly caught in like fashion to it's leader and hunting-mate.

Below the word rapidly spread and Thesaurusaurus began to grow concerned. Led was out with the liason again, vainly trying to persuade him to come inside and meet with him. The Hound, was still abed, and of the other experienced defenders only Kolok and Sarah were available. Draconius was busy whetting his throat after the trading and Glacies was sleeping. Acting quickly he ordered the four to duty, two now, the others when available and sent them above to watch the entry hall for further trouble. Wringing his hands he could only hope it would be enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hefting his axe for comfort once more Kolok hurried along the hallway, just ahead of Sarah, who was walking at a quick pace behind him, armor clanking, hammer and shield in hand.

She said a quick prayer as she went, and strangely she felt comforted, though she knew the outcome was all but certain. Ahead of her Kolok slowed. There was no sign of any enemies in the entry hall except for those three caught in cages. She breathed a sigh of relief as she quickly inspected her surroundings, ensuring that their defenses hadn't in fact been breached. Their last line of traps had been set off, and it might have been possible had the rest of the group attacked she knew. But they'd been lucky. Had the entire patrol rushed their fortress they'd not have likely had such an easy time of it. They'd have had to lock down the fortress entirely and fend for themselves as they could, cleaning it out again as they were able. Not a pretty prospect.

Kolok came back from the entrance, stepping confidently around the traps.

"Looks like the rest o' dem are holed up on the slope just below the stoneworks on the north side."

A sudden fear gripped Sarah's heart. Led was out with the Liason. Were they perhaps waiting in ambush for him? Had they been sent to kill him?

That thought steeled her heart and with a sudden icy rage she took her first step towards the entryway.

"It's time to go kill some bugs, Kolok. You with me?"

He merely grinned, testing the edge of his avar axe with his thumb. "Aye. Let's go have some fun."

The pair emerged into the sunlight outside on the slope. The bright light glinted of a few pieces of mica strewn on the slopes below and for a second they adjusted their eyesight to the bright light. That second was all it took for one of the insectoids below to take notice of them and, whirling began his rapid ascent on six of his legs. Scything chitinous blades emerged from behind arms where they'd been tucked and it's mouth clicked furiously. Kolok and Sarah were fortunate to have the advantage of elevation. It gave them the time they needed.

Still, the insect ascended incredibly fast and as it advanced it began to crouch slightly, springing up at Kolok as it neared him. He was almost ready for it but was still surprised by it's speed. It landed nearly on top of him but he managed a swift blow with his axe, that, to his regret, bounced off the chitinious plate. Sarah stepped in then, giving it a hefty blow that crumpled one of it's legs in a squelching noise, sending greenish ichor flying in all directions.

Nonplussed it arose, clacking furiously as it dove legs down upon Kolok, trying to penetrate his heavy armor. He tried to fend it off as best he could but a blow from his blind-side slipped through, cutting into his arm, tearing through the flesh. It could have been worse. Ignoring it Kolok yelled out, bringing his arms together and pushing up, sending the bug flying off of him, allowing him to stand. It attacked back, scoring yet another minor wound against the hardened fighter, as Sarah scored another hit against it, snapping off one of it's chitinous blades.

Kolok struck out now with his axe, severing a limb from it in the process but it seemed to feel little pain from it, striking out at the dwarf again, pinning Kolok to the ground. The others' attention was caught by the fighting now and in the din of battle Sarah could make out the sounds of more of them making their way up. The insect on Kolok was grappling with him now, and had managed to pry the axe out of his hands when a hefty blow from Sarah took it in the back, collapsing it momentarily on the stunned dwarf beneath it. Kolok managed to squirm out from beneath it in time to look up and see the trio of rapidly ascending bugs.

"We're in deep now, Sarah!"

"Aye, I know. Shut it and fight!"

One of the three zeroed in on Kolok as if they sensed that with his weapon not pinned beneath their prone fellow he was less of a threat. Kolok was no match for the speed of the insect and quickly found himself beneath it, fighting for his life, striking out with his steel gauntlets as the creature searched for weaknesses.

The other pair advanced more cautiously on Sarah, who stood over their prone companion and was administering it the final rites with a hasty zeal. She didn't want it rejoining the fight. She knew they couldn't survive those odds. Two on one wasn't even quite to her taste when she was the one and they were eight feet tall carnivorous insects bent on her consumption. One of them lunged for her and she managed to dodge, deflecting it's attack off her shield. The other rushed by, scoring a minor hit on her arm, causing it to begin bleeding lightly. Nothing serious, she thought as she brought her hammer back down onto the torso of the prone insect, shattering it's carapace and sending ichor flying over the battlefield.

She spared a glance at Kolok, seeing him give the insectoid a wicked looking uppercut that would've dazed almost any dwarf and nodded. He was fending well enough. Turning her attention back to the insects attacking her she nearly missed blocking an attack with her hammer as the bug rushed in to swipe at her. The other was circling off to her left and looking for a better angle. Realizing her peril she shouted and charged the one nearest her, hoping to overpower it quickly. Her hammer connected with it's arm and after a brief instant of reistance she saw it break with a satisfying crack, flying off a little ways. The insect recoiled slightly and she pressed her attack further, crushing it's front leg while deflecting it's other arm off her shield. She drew back again, smashing into the creature from the other side, knocking it to the ground and exultant began advancing on it to finish it when a sudden violent force knocked her to the ground from behind and a sharp pain in her shield arm nearly brought tears to her eyes.

She looked over and saw the chitinous blade retract from her arm and as she rolled to avoid another attack her arm flopped uselessly at her side, her shield had already been stripped off of it. Clutching her hammer she looked desperately at Kolok and to her dismay saw him clutching at his leg, blood flowing freely from between his fingers. The insect that stood over his had the broken remains of his chain shirt in it's arm. Smaller injuries covered his body and blood flowed freely.

She nearly despaired then but bringing herself around she invoked Mondul's name on her lips and steeled herself to fight the uninjured insectoid in front of her. It was too fast for her to flee and without her shield she couldn't afford to strike out too often lest she leave her own defenses wide open. She allowed herself to be backed towards where she'd last seen Kolok, fending off strikes as she could. The blood coating the ground as she approached was not a good sign, small pieces of his chainmail glinted redly where they lie. She spared a glance behind her for him but even as she did so her foot slipped on a piece of loose scree and the insect, seeing it's opportunity pounced on her, driving her to the ground. She saw it's maw descending towards her chest in a flash and as she struggled against it it's mandibles closed around armored flesh. Pain erupted but less than she had expected and with a gasp she drew breath, even as the insect tore away her chain shirt, broken links spraying both.

In a panicked flash she knew she could not survive another such bite, surely anything that could bite through steel chain would do worse to unprotected skin and with renewed zeal she threw the creature off herself, rising to her feet once more.

She heard a sudden rallying cry that was welcome to her ears and she saw dwarves streaming out of the corridor, clad only in their work clothes and wielding no weapons. Mosus, Thob, Asmel even Oddbodd, not a follower at all came charging out in a group. The injured insectoid was slowly rising to it's legs but the unarmed throng fell upon it, wrestling the seemingly indomitable insect to the ground, doing their best to kill it. Behind her she heard Led's call and she again began fending off attacks, permitting herself to be backed slowly down the slope. As she came even with her lover she could see him struggling as well with the insectoid that had been attacking Kolok. Where he was she did not know. Taking heart in each other's presence they fought, separated by twenty feet and two gigantic insects.

She could see now the bug was tiring, already it's motions were becoming slower. Led's was already almost torpid, the exertion from wrestling with Kolok and then the high priest having worn it out dangerously. Behind her she saw a shaft, dug for the foundation of Mondul's temple and a vicious swipe that nearly took her in the leg sent her diving for it. The blessed cool and dark of the earth surrounded her, comforted her and the bug followed her inside. To her astonishment after only a short ways she backed into a large object and looking quickly around she saw it to be a nearly full-grown tree. The corridor was too narrow with it for her to pass and grimly she turned to confront the bug, knowing full well only one of them would emerge from this place. It pounced, seeing her position and in the darkness they grappled. Pain filled her being as she was cut and tumbled but stubbornly she clung on and gradually she could feel the insect weakening, strength draining from it. Something lizuid oozed down her face as she extricated herself from the nearly unconcious insect and raising her hammer above her head brought it down with finality.

Her injuries and pain nearly overwhelmed her there but with determination she fled out of darkness, back to her home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draconius heard the din as she finished her drink hastily, withing the froth from the fine dwarven beer from her mouth as she headed towards the equipment room. Grabbing the copper mace she quickly donned her armor as best she could, running up the stairs two or three at a time and emerging into the dim first hall light at a run, albeit somewhat out of breath. By the time she exited their home it was immediately obvious that the scrum in front of her was in trouble. The insect was badly wounded already, but the dwarves were tiring as well, four of them locked on to the insect in order to keep it as immobile as possible. They'd managed to rip off it's wings and break an arm, in addition to the damage that appeared to have been inflicted with a hammer but they seemed to be making little progress. Undaunted, she waded in swinging with her heavy mace, striking wherever she could until the insect had been slain, leaving the dwarves gasping for breath on the ground, exhausted.

Mosus informed her that Led still struggled on the slopes below and, concerned, Draconius quickly dashed off, spotting him in the loose rock below. Led himself was covered in small injuries and ichor but it was evident he'd fared better than the rough mob above. The insect's eye had all been gouged out and still weeped ooze, and the creature's movements had been reduced to sporadic twitching against the high priests attempts to tear it limb from limb. Several quick blows injured it further and a final hefty blow from her mace caught it in the chest, sending it flying against the cliff-side, blowing it apart in the process.

((Nasty, Nasty fight. Sarah is injured, yellow wound to the upper arm, not to mention missing a body part that I'll cover in a later post perhaps. Kolok has a red leg wound and crawled down into the valley below. I've not been able to recover him into a bed yet so I'm concerned for his health. Hopefully that'll happen before he dehydrates or starves. The others suffered minor injuries that healed reasonably quickly. But three of my better fighters are now injured, perhaps for a long time to come still. Wrestling insectoids is a futile thing. Though many of the cultists are now much more skilled in fighting. Sarah herself in now a much better armor user due to the constantly being attacked. And she's now a hammerdwarf as well. Draconius and Sarah also earned titles that I'll go over in a future post. Unfortunately all the fighting occured on a hill-side so the screenies weren't very good.))

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:58:04 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Will he be all right d'ya think?"

"Hard ta say. Leg's in bad shape, septic and infected too."

"'E looks half starved ta me."

"And dehydrated."

"How'd they find him again?"

"Heard his bull bellowing out in the valley. Went to go investigate. He musta crawled under a bush during the fighting."

"He crawled that far with that leg?"

"Musta. Can't see any other way. Had it not been for his pet he'd likely have died before too much longer."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"By the stones those vermin are tough."

"Indeed. I've only fought them twice before this, they're a fearsome foe."

"Twice? Oh, the one you and Fre caught on the slopes."

"Aye, and once before. A siege in Onol Lened."

"These things siege? Gah, that's disgusting."

"It's not so bad. We'll have to get Pete and Khain to get working on proper armor though. It's a necessity."

"True dat. Thing bit right through my chainmail. Glad it wasn't me arm."

"Still you did well for yourself. You deserve the title."

"Thanks... but still, seems funny."

"Aye, that's the way of these things. You were defending our home against thieves, both yours and Draconius' title reflects that."

"Still, Sil Dal? What if I don't want to be called Sarah Atticbanners the Plane of Greed?"

"Earn for yourself another title. Draconius' is equally amusing... How would you like Draconius Jewelblockade the Contested Murk of Gold."

"Hmpfh. It's still more fitting then mine."

"Hah. Don't worry so much. It's not like you're called the Sunken Sun of Fungus or somesuch. There are worse titles to be had."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"D'ya hear about Khain."

"Oh, please tell me she's not coming back in here."

"Heh, no... She... Look, he's moving."

Kolok wearily raised his hand to his head, doing his best to sit up in bed. Spots danced before monocular vision briefly before clearing.

"Wha...? Oh, Paulus, Sarah."

There was an akward pause. "Didn't expect to see you two again."

"By the look of you when they drug you in you're lucky to been seeing Anything again."

"Aye, well. Looks like I've got you two ta keep me company now."

"Indeed, we make the fine pair the two of us. Only Paulus there is truly untouched, lucky bastard. Me and you now are like twins."

She turned to face Kolok and he could see her face for the first time since the fight. His own hand unconciously drifted up to feel his empty left socket as he looked at her. A wicked scar ran from across the bridge of her nose, across her now whitish-red ruined orb and nearly to her ear.

He gave a low whistle. "Ye have my condolences lass. I know what it's like. At this rate though I'll wind up a crotchety old gaffer like my uncle, what was his name again... greybeard, oldbeard... something like that. Tons of old war stories but about as useful as an elf."

"At this rate Kolok, I think you'd be lucky enough to live that long. You just seem to have no luck when it comes to fighting."

"Heh, true enough. You'd better see me properly interred then, or I'm coming back to haunt ye."

Paulus and Sarah grew quickly somber.

"No, I don't think you will. But we'll see you're looked after in death, don't you worry."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:41:48 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

19th of Timber Journal of Paulus Fahlstrom

My arm continues to improve and I can only hope that I shall soon be out of this bed. Ragnar and Boink appeared again. I've noticed their absence as had others. Led wasn't too happy with them either but it seems he's forgiven them since they dug their way into the trade hall, bursting through the very stone itself. Ragnar has informed us that the sixth hall, the forge works is ready to be cleaned up. It seems that she barricaded herself in somewhere, found the magma pocket to the south that was described and carved a shaft for it, working on the rooms in secret for some reason. I have my guesses, but I'll need to speak with her about it. And she seems to be avoiding me at the moment.

I find it a somewhat strange coincidence that Khain was possessed and supposedly has been working on a magnificent table made from realgar. I've yet to see it but it seems that his final stroke on it coincided with the exact time that Ragnar burst through the wall. Much to the consternation of the dwarves working in the fifth hall.

Thesaurusaurus brought me a rubbing of the table however and it looks impressive. The design on the top done in silk particularly interests me and I think it may shed light onto this mystery. If only I could figure out what it means.

P.S.

I've been informed another insectoid ambush made it's way to our entrance. Three of them, including the leader were caught in our traps. The remaining few were apparently chased off by Ragnar, who, according to reports 'laid waste to the survivors with such vigor' that parts were strewn in a circle of roughly fourty feet. One apparently managed to flee. At least it's good to hear signs of Ragnar's return to her old cheer.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

6th of Opal - Midwinter

We've only had mixed news of relatively minor import recently. Our excavations on the lower portions of the Temple of Mondul have uncovered both Rock crystal as well as a few small deposits of native aluminum. Both quite useful. Work continues on the upper portions as well, but, to be honest we've had a lot of problems with attacks recently that have hampered labors. We're nearly running out of cages and I've ordered the captured prisoners set up in the 'arena'. There are over a dozen insectoid prisoners, and I'm not completely sure what to do with them all. It's practically an infestation. Recently we've had a few goblins try to pinch a few things as well. Most were caught but a few were scared off before they made it to the traps. Oddbodd even accidentally chased a tigerman thief into the traps. He was uncovered near the door and for a few seconds they were both fleeing in the same direction.

In less fortunate news, Kogsak, Kolok's venerable bull and the animal that, quite possibly, saved his life passed away during the night. The beast simply lay down next to his bed and didn't get up in the morning. We've designated a coffin for it in the Crack. At least Kolok looks like he's on the mend.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50