Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101501 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I had a chasm cut around (literally) all sides of the map except a side that faced towards the sea. Wish I still had that seed so I could play the full map. It had magma too  :'( :'( :'(.))
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile

Mid-winter 09

Fre rubbed her hands together as she stepped through the gap in the wall and into the comparatively warm entrance hall. She could still see her breath in the chill air. She made her way past the traps, now long since ingrained into her memory. Just past the entrance she met Paulus.

"Oi, I've been keeping an eye on those insectoids out there. Now might be the time to strike."

He raised an eyebrow and merely nodded for her to continue. This continual sentry duty was beginning to wear on him. There were enemies enough for watch to be kept but since they had precious little armor for others. A little action would be welcome after the weeks of relative inactivity.

"What makes you say so?"

"The patrol has been near the other peak for months now. It's almost like they're surveyeing the area."

"That's bad."

"Aye. Don't want a nest of them here."

"Mmhmm."

"And they've begun to spread out some. In fact one of them seems to have taken up a position hovering in the air. He'd be easy prey for us to pick off I think."

"Sounds reasonable. They might not miss him until we've had time to clear out."

"Aye. Pick 'em off one at a time I say."

Paulus grinned, his helmet giving it an uncannily feral look.

"Let's get ready to go then."
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Four eyes peered out from behind the snow covered boulder to the north-east of the opening in the peak which led to the halls of the dwarves. Little other than the bleached skulls which adorned their heads could be visible as they silently watched the insectoid patrol. One of them hovered near the edge of the upper shelf upon which they hid, the others appeared to be working on something nearly fifty feet away, in a loose cluster. And even one of those appeared to have moved off to one side, for whatever reason.

The cold appeared to have made them lethargic but it was likely only an energy conservation habit on their part rather than by coincidence of environment. Their homelands were warm and dry and arid and they were simply unaccustomed to such temperature extremes.

Quietly the pair of dwarves advanced through the snow and ice, leaving little evidence of their passing on the hard surfaces, except where the dry powdery snow had collected into small pools. Fre double checked her leather quiver, smiling. These were undoubtedly the best bolts of theirs and had been decorated somewhat for trade. Led might not be happy with her using them but he couldn't complain too much. Had they not been intended for use he should have put them elsewhere than the bins of ammo. They were superior bolts, and much better than the swan and heron bolts she normally used for hunting, but they were still bone and she would have preferred steel, or even aestrium or whatever Pete had called the metal.

Before her Paulus advanced, hammer gripped loosely in one hand, buckler in the other. They'd gotten within twenty feet when the creature spotted them, rapidly flying their way in a burst of speed, chittering the whole while. It's many legs provided it balance and a slight humming filled the air as it's wings rapidly beat. A quiet -schick- could be heard and she grimly fitted a bolt to her crossbow as the creatures chitinous blade-like exo-skeleton extended on many of it's arms. She squeezed off a pair of bolts before the two closed and the first bounced off the creature's hard carapace. The second struck it in the leg, breaking through but not penetrating deeply before it stopped. Fre swore lightly under her breath. She needed real metal for her bolts.

The insectoid hovered lightly above the ground, attempting to use it's superior mobility against the dwarf but Paulus stoically held his ground, not letting the insectoid around him without exposing one of it's sides. He had to dodge twice as the blade-like claws nearly took him in the arm but on the second time he landed a solid blow to the creature's head, knocking it out of the air and stunning it momentarily. A pounce and blow crumpled one of it's wings into the frozen soil but as the creature rose one of the blades slid past his guard slicing into his knee from the side and slightly behind. The cut was clean and hurt only a little but Paulus' leg nearly buckled as he went down on the other knee.

It was Fre's shooting that prevented the insectoid from capitalizing on it's success, a bolt flying in to strike it on the shoulder as it stood. Another one flicked in, bouncing of the creature's chest carapace, and then another taking it through the hand. The air was filled with the swift clack of bolts as Fre drove the creature back from Paulus, stunning it again with a bolt to the head that did little damage but left the creature dazed. Another lucky shot struck the creature in the arm, breaking one of the vicious blades and lodging in the carapace beneath.

But for all her success in hitting she was doind precious little damage and her quiver, once full, was already beginning to feel remarkably empty. It was only after she again sunk a bolt into one of it's many arms and the insectoid fell, yet again that Paulus managed to stand and with the force of a falling anvil crushed a hole in the inert creature's chest.

Quietly Fre slipped her arm underneath Paulus' and she helped him limp back to cover. The remainder of the patrol hadn't yet noticed the absence but undoubtedly they would soon and the pair now knew they would be completely overmatched against so many with inferiour equipment. Blood covered Paulus' leg as they made their way back but by the time they entered the stone halls that marked their territory he was able to walk well enough on his own.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((hmm... yellow or brown wound?))
Magma is overrated.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Strangely enough it was a bright yellow wound, but to the knee, so surprisingly it healed quickly. Apparently wounds to minor body parts can do that during non-season changes. So if you're stomach gets a yellow wound you don't have to have bed-rest necessarily.))

Late Winter 09

Kolok returned from his work, tired and weary. The cold of winter seemed so familiar to him again by now that the endless heat of Onol Lened was more like a distant memory in his many years of bitter cold. He stamped his feet on the hard alunite floor of the entryway, knocking off snow and ice that clung to his low leather boots. Heading down the stairs he admired the way the gradually increasing warmth matched the changing colors of stone as he approached his home.

There would be food waiting for him, hot if he wanted it, and drink as well, but he wanted neither at the moment. Ever since this morning his mind had been fixated on an idea, rapidly growing to consume his thoughts. The cult. The cultists worship of death still perplexed him some, and he hadn't taken the time to ask what it was they believed. That they abhorred undeath he knew. He'd spoken with Paulus about it as they passed the time outside or chatted while Paulus was on guard duty at the entrance. Kolok had an axe, a weapon of his own, but in these wilds it was easy to be outmatched when you wore no armor, and having Paulus within shouting distance was reassurance that should he spot undead he would have help cutting them down.

It seemed though that everyone here was fixated with death and somehow, that didn't seem proper to him, for dwarves that were alive and living to be so... morbid. His own worship had suffered but the idea that revolved in his mind might help persuade others to focus on life and living just a little more. At least enough to carve him his own room.

Ignoring the beckoning bed and slumber he wanted he headed instead to the carpenters workshop he sometimes used. Ragnar still dabbled here too and one of the cultists when bed, bins or barrels were needed. But it was time for him to work. It was time to turn the tide on the necromongers.

Carefully he gathered his materials, selecting the finest of highwood logs and bringing them to the workshop. Only the heartwood of the tree would be good enough, though how he knew that was beyond him. His aspect was as one gone fey as he gathered the material he needed. Rough clear zircon, as well as cut and a large block of unsmoothed mica, flecks glinting on the grey surface.

He didn't know how long it took him, days passed before his finest work was finished. And a much needed creation it was. The others had been lost to the undead of the underground lake. It was then he realized how tired he was and he headed straight to bed, in utter exhaustion, leaving behind the artifact that would provide life to those living.

Ishlumabir, called Nutromanced, a highwood bucket.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:38:17 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Wow, that name sounds a lot like neutral-mance. NOT dead people magic!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile

Holy hell, that's a huge chasm!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mid-winter 09

Ragnar tramped out the stairs and headed towards the grim figure standing nearly immobile near the entrance. Taking up a position next to him she grunted and spat on the cold floor, breath steaming in the cold morning air.

"Bah. De cursed crack has more undead den forest has trees. None'll go near de edge ta do work and I kinnae get anyone ta make da bridge across ta clear 'em."

"I was afraid that might be a problem. Suggestions?"

"I've taken de liberty ta dig a shaft down from the troll-cave and came out on a small ledge some ways below. I kinnae see many undead from my side of the crack so it should be a good place ta cross. Lots o' flyin' carcasses around there though."

"I'll take up position there for a while, see if I can lure any close."

Ragnar nodded, solemnly.

"Best o' luck to ye den. The air down there is thick and foul. Deeper I'd not risk for fear o' stagnation."

"Go ahead and begin scoping out locations where the undead reside in the cliffs and back tunnel to them. I'l like our entrace to any nests to be as close to the cliff as possible so we can fight with the crack at our backs."

She raised an eyebrow slightly.

"At our backs? Why not drive the vermin off the cliff?"

"I considered it, but with the miasma and darkness I'd prefer we not accidentally stumble off. If we start near there we just have to go forward through the undead till we hit a wall."

Ragnar shrugged and nodded.

"I'll see it dun. Still, I wish we had some proper quarters."

"Aye, I'll take it up with Led. He wants the lay members to experience communality. But I don't see a reason why believers of other gods can't take up quarters."

Ragnar snorted. She still didn't quite believe that her friend of old truly worshipped a goddess of death, but then her own inclination was towards one that personified volcanoes. Not the most friendly of environs either. Grimly she dispelled her dour thoughts and went to go begin the work of the cleansing.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

14th of Obsidian 09 Journal of Paulus Fahlstrom

There has been ample keeping us busy this winter, surprisingly. With the bone-chilling cold outside I would have expected no problems from the living, only the dead. But that appears not to be the case. Nearly a week ago Fre returned with the report of a goblin patrol that had been attacked by zombie mountain goats to the north-east of us. The patrol was so flustered they're still there.

Disturbingly a second patrol made it unseen all the way to our entrance. I was on station at the bottom of the stairs thankfully. It seemed a good location for me to help anyone in the crack, the cursed crack as Ragnar insists on calling it. And the entrance has been relatively calm of late. One of the masons working on block in the upper hall though sounded the alarm when a goblin stumbled into one of our cage traps and another goblin patrol sprang up in ambush just as I made it up the stairs. We charged each other but to their dismay their leader fell into our cunning cage traps a mere five feet from my position. My hammer met another just behind him a second later sending him slamming into a goblin behind him a moment later and knocking them both down. The rest tried to run and I managed to down one before it gained the freedom of open air before turning on the goblin still lying in a tangle of limbs on the floor.

Only the one managed to get away.

This does, however, bring up an interesting problem. We've now got over half a dozen thieves and cut-throats in cages. Perhaps we should just use them as military fodder.

At least until we can capture a zombie troll in a trap and hold pit matches.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This deserves to be kept on the first page if you ask me!

Keep up the good work mate.
Magma is overrated.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Thanks Sneaky Pete. I'm actually headed out of town for a few days for a family member's wedding so I'll be idle for a little while. I promise I'll continue with the development when I'm caught back up next week.))

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey?

Is this still going?

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Hey Glacies. Yes it is. At the moment I'm just about caught up on all my behind work and I have a massive project coming due at the end of the month. That being said, I will try to post today, and continue on next week if I can manage it.

I've also been taking some time to design the mega-project. It's hard to render things in 3-D from just a 2-D image. Heh. But it's coming along. It'll take a few years probably in game time to finish but work will begin as soon as I have everything laid out properly.))

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile

((Good to hear.  I've been waiting with a fair bit of anticipation as to how that arena turns out.))
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Heh, that'll be part of the construction I'm sure. Eventually. But I'll get this back up and running next week.))
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50