Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101521 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan: Dorenemal, or Diamondsense (Community Fortress)
« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »

I'd like to claim a dwarf in this new fort. call him Pete, please. profession? um...  armoursmith with a bit of blacksmithing thrown in perhaps?
Magma is overrated.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 24, 2008, 03:30:54 pm »

((Thanks for the responses all. Plans changed a bit due to inclement weather so I'm actually at home for the holidays. In any case, Ragnar, Fre, Kolok, happy to have you continue on in the next section. Crush, you're welcome to come but not as the same character. Crush is irretrievably dead at the moment. If you want another shiftless layabout womanizer by the name of Crush I'm sure I can help you. You'll see soon enough why I'm not accepting zombies at the moment.

Oddbodd and Pete, welcome as well. Mind if I make you a weaponsmith or metalcrafter instead of blacksmith Pete?

This also fills us up for embark, so thanks everyone. Have a safe holidays, and watch out for the stupid people out there. Just think of them as the Urist that goes to retrieve a sock from a dead goblin in the middle of a siege...))
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 24, 2008, 06:37:08 pm »

((go for it. As long as it mean's i'll get to work with precious gold/silver/steel ;D))
Magma is overrated.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 24, 2008, 09:41:11 pm »

Never requested a zombie. Just a dwarf named Crunch. Only reason zombies came up is because Kuli had qualms with my dwarf apparently.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

I was merely trying to point out that Crush's continued existence would be a blatant continuity error.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 25, 2008, 12:56:31 am »

I was merely trying to point out that Crush's continued existence would be a blatant continuity error.

You'd think that'd be a problem. Then again, look at days of our lives...
Magma is overrated.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2008, 03:34:11 pm »

((Not a problem Sonerohi, I'll work a second Crush in. And a microcline block is easy enough to manage.))

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 26, 2008, 04:22:26 pm »

Yaharr! Thank you Paulus.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2008, 11:11:44 am »

The rich red kaolinite walls around him were silent as he sat at the table in Kashez's shrine, except for the engravings that covered them. Deep in thought the first time the whispered voice came he didn't hear it, but something stirred within him nonetheless. The voice came again and caught his attention but he did not hear what it said. Had someone come to seek him? Less than a dozen even knew of the existance of this place, this hidden sanctuary. Standing he walked into the main worship hall, the Rose-gold statue of their god standing in the center of the room. He looked at the window to see if it had been left open, which may have accounted for the sound but it was secure. Puzzled, Paulus began towards the hall to the secret door hidden in the cliff-side to see if it too were still secure when he heard the voice again from behind him. It called his name.

'Paulus.'

He turned, looking back to the statue and the chest next to it, the assorted artifacts dedidated to Kashez, the Velvety Incense, but no source of sound was visible. The voice had been quiet, but piercing, penetrating his soul so that there was no doubt he had heard.

"What is it? Who is there?" Had someone snuck by him into the crypts and secret treasure room?

'It is I that speak Paulus, come before me.'

It was then that it dawned on him. The statue was the source of the sound. A second realization had him kneeling on one knee before the likeness of his object of worship.

'Seek that which the goblins seek among you. Bring it here that I may show you it's secrets, and mine.'

"Kashez? Is that really you? Am I dreaming?" More questions flooded through him, but no answers were forthcoming.

Silence surrounded him again like a cloak.

It was a disturbing feeling, but he had now much to think about. It would be late before he returned, but the way was safe and secret and he would not be missed before his labors called for him on the morrow.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 29, 2008, 12:20:34 pm »

I return to these forums just to late... Could Aardvark be one of the first migrants? And then you could retrain him or use DwarfCompanion to just copy him? Us old guys should stick together and me and Fre has not married still I think. It was a great fortress and may Diamondsense be just as great.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 31, 2008, 04:12:59 pm »

It had been a week since the strange voice had been heard high in the secret alcove of the north-eastern cliffs. It had taken Paulus that long to arrange for the situation of the remaining three goblin prisoners into the small arena they used. There was nothing out of the ordinary about moving them there. Food production workers often tired of hearing and seeing the goblins as they passed from the farms and butcheries into the dining areas.

It was also normal to leave goblins in the arena for long periods of time. It instilled a sense of mortality as few other places could. The obsidian black walls were splattered with the blood and gore of past battles. And though the floor was occasionally cleaned, the smoothed black obsidian never quite lost that red lustre instilled in it after countless bloodlettings.

Paulus, Ragnar and Aardvark were the ones below, with Fre above keeping watch to ensure the galleries were empty. Aardvark worked the levers and watched the lower halls while Paulus and Ragnar went within, locking the doors behind themselves.

After several days of sitting in silence the goblins were offered the best chance they knew they were likely to get. They would have their weapons returned and would get the opportunity to fight Ragnar, The Ragnar. He would be unarmed but fully armored. That alone was an almost irresistable offer, to fight an unarmed enemy with three to one odds. Most prisoners were killed outright and it was unlikely they would get a better chance. The only thing they needed to do?

Provide information.

Two of the speargoblins looked hesitantly at the third, a guard for some signal. The goblin sat and thought for a moment only before speaking:
"We tell you this thing then we fight. Lozu want Mirror of souls."

Both dwarves were silent, one waiting for a cue from the other. He nodded imperceptably and rapped on the door three times and shortly thereafter a quiet grating sound could be heard before the cages sprung open.

Ragnar popped his knuckles audibly as the three goblins warily left their cages, two with spears, one with a mace. One of the speargoblins charged forward trying to impale the stout dwarf before him on his weapon but Ragnar sidestepped it, reaching out and pulling the goblin forward by the spear. The goblin hung on tenaciously as he was dragged withing Ragnar's grip. The dwarf grabbed the creature by it's vest and propelled it bodily into the wall behind them, stunning it and leaving it on the floor face-down. Two swift punches in the back of the head rendered it unconcious and were done with such rapidity that the other two had little chance to act cohesively. He bled to death a short while later due to massive trauma.

The two remaining vainly attempted to circle around and flank Ragnar, but the armored dwarf quickly closed with the other spear-goblin and began crushing him in a bearhug while the guard vainly tried to pound on him but was unable to penetrate the armor in any serious fashion. It was a close matter when the goblin struck a blow from behind in a critical location, but some bruising and bent armor was all that resulted and soon he too faced Ragnar's cold fury.

Giving another series of taps, the door swiftly opened and the four soon left the scene, allowing others to clean up the remaining mess. By unspoken agreement no questions were asked, but much was thought about, particularly by those who heard what the goblin had said.

Lozu was the name of their demon master, a being of vast power and cunning. It was a name to be feared and respected. The other name none had heard of, nor knew but one of the dwarves there at least had some good guesses as to what it could be that they searched for. Paulus thanked his friends and retired to his public office to think. He couldn't afford to let his public work slip, but an internal change like this was likely to be questioned unless a plausible cause could be offered. One simply didn't steal an artifact displayed so prominently without attracting attention. At least, not easily.

((Can do Aardvark. I'll see to it.))

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 02, 2009, 03:11:26 pm »

Thanks, what is he up to nowdays then?

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2009, 01:27:33 pm »

((Well, things should be settling back into their normal rhythm here soon and I'll be able to continue working on the fortress so this'll be the last of the catch-up/story. I've written up to where I've played, though I have a lot planned still that you'll be able to read.

Aardvark, right now you're officially the Captain of the Guard and one of our legendary champions. Of course, come the next fort all this will change and I'll be able to get you working on armor again. I'll make sure you don't go legendary in combat this next time. ;)

Oh, and I think he has about thirty or fourty named kills.))

I've had Bembul announce the new construction project for the waterfall viewing area and statuary. We're expanding it and the statuary accompanying it and dedicating it to Egul, goddess of water, inspiration, poetry and painting as well as persuasion. Bembul is pleased we're including an area of worship for his goddess and even Dresdor was roused from his ranting for long enough to nod, before going back to work on statues for his goddess. It will be a very pleasing area for dwarves to relax in.

More importantly, it will have some green glass windows installed around the falls themselves to prevent any 'accidents' like the one that nearly killed Melonius so long ago.  This will give me an opportunity to remove Lukavog Alnis ug, the grey chalcedony artifact that I believe is known to the goblins. There is little else that I find that fits the description or name provided by the prisoners. I'll have it removed to Kashez's sanctuary so that I can examine it in detail there. I've been to see it and for some reason I still find it oddly disturbing, almost ... well, perhaps it's best that I not be too specific, lest this be seen. In this way though, I hope to allay concerns about having it removed from public viewing. There will be a great shuffling of artifacts as the temples are completed and I hope to have it disappear in the shuffle.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:40:59 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 06, 2009, 04:51:40 pm »

((Finally I can access all my files and computer again! I've posted a picture of Egul's shrine on the previous post and some of your info Aardvark. You're also a Legendary shield user.))

2nd of Timber

Lolor, our ever efficient clerk, has given birth to a girl.

Also, the shrines are complete as it were. Kashez's shrine makes my heart glow with pride, but I fear it must remain hidden for the time being to any that are not worshippers. I've had several items worked on specifically for it and it would not do for comparison to be made. Even the queen would be jealous of the riches I've used for such a small place.

Not to mention the purloining of an artifact or five.

I've been able to observe the gemstone window up close now, and despite the uneasy feelings I get whenever I look into it, I've noticed that the flies that are graven into it move. It's a very peculiar thing, and most disturbing is that when I touch it the flies slowly begin creeping towards my hand. It's always been a thing to look at and not touch when it was on display and I suspect that it's creator has no knowledge of this particular aspect of it. I begin to wonder though.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:53:32 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2009, 04:55:18 am »

Good to know that he won't be helping the queen. Fahlstrom forever.

Aardvarks Journal

I have heard rumblings about something that is supposed to happen. I do not know what it is or why, but things have not been the same since the royalty arrived. I got a bad feeling about how the fortress is becomming, especialy when Ragnar got imprissoned. Sending one of our greatest heroes, and one of my mot trusted friends, in jail for something he couldn't even have done is unacceptable. I think I'll see Paulus and ask him to join me for a drink later, but I must have a talk with the boys abut how we treat our heroes here.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50