Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101520 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Dorenemal: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan (Community Fortress)
« Reply #285 on: December 18, 2008, 04:41:13 pm »

16th of Galena Late summer 1063

It seems that this warm summer air makes those pregnant with children want to lose that little extra weight, and rid themselves of the second internal heat source. We've had three children born in just the past week.

Nish, our prolific guard, gave birth to a girl on the 10th.

Zefon, our brewer, gave birth to a boy on the 13th and is already indoctrinating him in the pleasures of the brew.

Our dutchess also gave birth to a boy today and has called him Tony, after our own. I'll admit I've been less than cordial to her since Ragnar was imprisoned, but I couldn't not go by and see the boy. Admittedly he doesn't look like Tony, but that's no surprise there. He does have a great resemblance to Tarin though, particularly when crying. Funny.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 19, 2008, 02:26:08 pm »

16th of Limestone

Three things of note have occurred recently. The trade caravan arrived today from Etagzasit. They have certainly done their best to accomodate our wants this time around and have brought much wood as well as some food, along with their superfluous amounts of cloth and leather. We were able to trade a considerable amount of finished goods, mostly stone crafts, instruments, toys and clothing for all that we wanted.

The observation deck is now finished and we are able to see for miles around us from that elevation. Unfortunately it was the cause of the third notable thing that happened. The staircase that allowed acess to the roof for work on it was being removed when a part of it fell from the heights. The block fell 23 stories onto our fortress below. We were fortunate. It struck part of the original stone wall and stopped there. It scared the living spit out of a farmer that had just walked through that location carrying some goods. A pace or two to either side and it would likely have punched through the floor/ceiling and probably have continued down through our fortress for several more floors, potentially through our barracks, craftsshops, metals storage, dining hall, and two floors of bedrooms, in that order. The potential for injury would have been considerable.

Needless to say, there will be no more such 'deconstructions' up there. Such tactics I suppose could be potentially used as a form of trap or defensive measure should it be needed, but there would have to be a more reliable method for timing. I doubt anything would be able to survive a fifty pound stone falling on their head from two hundred feet up.

((Here's an interesting tidbit I've learned.

How to create black sand using natural obsidian stone:

1. Mine out an area of obsidian so you have an obsidian floor. (The underlying stone layer must be obsidian.)

2. Build a wall on top of said floor.

3. Deconstruct wall.

Resulting floor should have become black sand.
(If black sand is already a default soil type of your area. Sigh)
In my case I constructed an obsidian block wall on the floor, and the floor had been smoothed first, but I don't know if those are necessary. After some testing it is not necessary. Additionally, building a wall on top of a rough, smoothed, or even engraved floor out of any material and then deconstructing it in this fashion appears to have the result of the new floor being a rough floor of the base underlying layer. So I tried it on the bottom level of my fortress sitting on rock and when the wall was deconstructed I had a granite floor in an obsidian fortress. As a note, minerals and metal veins are discounted in this. I built a wall one level above an orthoclase vein on my obsidian and removed it and it became not orthoclase but granite, the base rock of the underlying area.  (Sigh) Ignore these ramblings... unfortunately it doesn't work as I'd hoped. I tried it in the other fort with a stone base on the second and third floors and got stone from that strata, ie. gneiss and granite. Nothing resembling sand. Looks like it's an old glitch rediscovered.))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:56:24 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2008, 04:15:42 pm »

22nd of Limestone

Cerol, one of our weavers, came down with a few mood today, for lack of a better term. He went and immeadiately claimed a clothier's shop and a bolt of Midnight blue Giant Cave spider silk cloth and a few other items and got to work. The result?

Kithen Garem, the Cactus of Generals, a giant cave spider silk hood. Obviously it menaces with lots of spikes. Though it is worth about 56000 ingots.

((I'm going to take some time out of character here to wish everyone a very

Merry Christmas!

That being said, I'll likely not be posting until, possibly near the end of the year, about a week away. I'm nearing the end of this fortress in the story line now, I really just want to work through some of the plot I've got in my head and get some of the architectural projects done before putting it up for you all to explore.

I've been thinking a lot about the direction this is heading and I'm excited about where it is going. So much so that I can't wait to work on the next parts. In line with this I'd like to not have to wait for responses at a later date so I'll tell you some of what I've got planned for the future.

For the rest of the story line I'll actually be using 40d instead of whatever version I'm currently using. I haven't really wanted to switch it over yet so this will be a clean break from the past world. It'll be incorporated into the story. Additionally I've been looking at mods I'd like to use for the next world and have chosen Capt'n Mayday's Legendary Lands which I think will provide a considerably greater challenge and room for more glory for your characters as well as potential disaster.

My next fortress will be in Legendary lands and I'll have six spots open. I'll reserve four for any dwarves that want to come over from this one and will pick your skills to reflect current experience. (I won't be using DC to modify them into the exact duplicates. That'd make it too easy I think) Two spots will be reserved for any new dwarves that might be interested, though if they're not taken, obviously they can be claimed by currently named dwarves. (Steele, Crush, you're the only ones that've died, you can still fall under the previous dwarf clause and claim one of the four if you'd like. No possessions will be transferred of course.)

All that being said... the sign-ups are now open. Please include name, preferred gender (if possible I'll accomodate but we're not sexist here), background, and any things you'd like me to bring for you specifically. They will be your items to use in-game as you'd like me to. New characters just need name and gender and background.

If this leaves some of you out, don't worry. I'll be getting migrants soon enough to accomodate. Should some of you really really want founders then feel free to put your names on the list for the planned fortress after that... that'll be the third and final chapter of the work and likely of considerably longer duration than the first two, but you'll see why when I get there. There are only room for 5 on the third fortress. And none of them are permitted to be bonecarvers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will be making this a considerable challenge and trying to incorporate your dwarves into the story line as much as possible. I was considering trying something new in this regards. Sort of a reward system for posting journal entries of your own dwarves as it were. Starting with the second fortress three posts (in-character, at least two or three sentences long) will earn you the right to make a request for your character. (Very large or exceptionally special requests will take six posts.) Let me know what you guys think about this idea over the break.

Positions open for
The Mountain of Safety:6 (4 for those with current dwarves, 2 if not)
Fortress 3 (Name not to be revealed at this time... it's too revealing.): 5 (Whoever, but keep in mind you can only transfer from Fortress 2 if I feel your character would fit into the mood of the third. Requirements to be given at a later date. It will be fittingly macabre.)

Thanks again and happy holidays to you all.))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:17:38 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan: Dorenemal, or Diamondsense (Community Fortress)
« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2008, 09:15:28 pm »

I'm not entirely sure what I need to write for the story, but I'd like Ragnar to accompany Paulus until the current storyline ends, due to Ragnar's distrust of the nobles.

Also, I'll be updating the epic of Sodel Udir soon, and probably starting a community fortress.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 20, 2008, 10:03:36 pm »

I'll have Fre move on with you, if that's alright.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 20, 2008, 11:57:30 pm »

((Happy to have you both. Feel free to request an item(s) to take with you. It's up to you, let's say 50 points worth, since I will be taking an anvil, and purchasing you both skills.

Glad to have you both along. It'll make it interesting to use our background history in the storyline. And it's always nice to have a really freakishly talented cook. I promise to incorporate more food into the next one as it's much more diverse in LL.

And DarkMagnus, I really look forward to reading more of Sodel Udir.))

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2008, 04:11:16 am »

If it's okay Then I'd like Kolok to come over to the new fort too

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2008, 03:49:24 pm »

If Ragnar could just keep a decent axe for woodcutting and fighting, that'd be great. Hopefully he can avoid a nervous system injury this time around! Can we get one last look at the character sheets?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 21, 2008, 03:56:40 pm »

All Fre needs
is some seeds.

Oh, and if you have some points left over, the large Heliodor you gave her in the first year would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 03:58:29 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 21, 2008, 04:22:59 pm »

Crush want go with, find and slay many titans! All he'd want is a single microline block, for the stoic shades of microline soothe the fire in his soul.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 22, 2008, 07:51:06 pm »

I do believe Crush is dead, sonerohi.

I think Kuli Dancetreaties the Tenacious Machine of Lightning will be moving on to other things.  I may even try to reuse the character if I ever start my own community fort.  While Kuli Problemwalled from Migrursut will always be my favorite, I really doubt he'll be leaving that community fort alive, so Mr. Dancetreaties is the next best thing.

Maybe I'll claim a migrant at some later point when you do the new fort.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2008, 09:00:48 pm »

I do believe zombies are around though, Kuli. We both have Migursut dwarves, so tell me, what exactly is Sgt. Pepper?

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:08 pm »

But do sentient zombie dwarves exist in Paulus' version of DF?

I forget, which dwarf is yours in Migrursut?  I've lost track of almost all of the ones that don't just use their forum names.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 22, 2008, 10:08:23 pm »

Mine is Wilbur. He has yet to strike a name due to the fact that hes a low-experience macedwarf. If Heavy Flak didn't use goblins that shot demons from their eyes, my dwarf might actually be fighting stuff. But alas...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2008, 07:31:37 am »

If possible, Oddbodd the Mechanic might move in.
He was greatly distressed when the Waterbore was abandoned, even more so when he realized that most normal dwarves don't even know what a crumpet is and that brass is generally used as a trade good!
He still pines for the metal halls of Olonkulet.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50