Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101516 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Dorenemal: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan (Community Fortress)
« Reply #255 on: November 21, 2008, 12:41:09 pm »

16th of Slate

Another child of Urvad's has done something rather interesting. Apparently little Udib was possessed and in complete silence ran around gathering materials he would need with uncanny knowledge of their locations.

He claimed two chunks of granite and one of kaolinite, some donkey leather, a larch and a pine log, a steel bar, some raw clear glass, pig tail cloth and a turtle shell.

The result is a very splendid and almost lifelike figurine of what we believe to be Litast Bristleinks, the child's deity. Before passing out on the floor and waking up a minute later Udib dubbed the idol Duradlerteth, or Beardtangled. Still, I may have to see if I can find and create a suitable location to display said item. Perhaps a small shrine would be appropriate.

I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2008, 03:19:59 pm »

25th of Slate

I suppose it's a good thing we have plenty of woodcutters. Kolok's experience with an axe is really showing now that he's in the military training. I was able to watch his official certification spar. He is now an axelord. Looks like we'll have to assign someone else to be a woodcutter should we need it.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2008, 04:21:59 pm »

13th of Felsite

I descended those stairs again to ensure that justice be properly served. Dresdor had been in prison for long enough and had served his time. I'd not have him rot there any longer than the law dictated. Visions of my own imprisonment tormented me as I stood outside the door where he sat chained. It was an unfortunate custom of our people, and more unfortunate that such things were occasionally truly necessary.

I regret that I've been so busy with things lately that I haven't had time to check in on him as I probably should have. When I entered he was busy trying to lure rats close enough to catch and eat. It was a disturbing sight seeing him launch himself at those that were just out of his reach. He had lost considerable weight, and I was briefly overcome by the dark phantoms of past, before I reached down to my belt for the key that would free him. He looked at me almost blankly as I released him, as if unsure what do do now. I took him by the arm to steady him and simply said.

"C'mon, lets go get a drink and a hot meal."

He followed me up the stairs again, light and sound flooding deprived senses as we rose from the dungeon. I ate and drank with him and glared at any who looked down upon his savage tearing into the food.

When he was finally sated I asked him what job he would prefer doing. The first words out of his mouth were:

"Statues. Must make statues. Egul requires it of me. Pretty statues."

I got the idea. I could only hope that eventually his mind would return to a more normal state of operation. But statues were something we could certainly use with work on the temples progressing. Perhaps the best of his we could reserve for a shrine to his goddess. I feared he would be of use for little else for some time.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 25, 2008, 01:48:23 pm »

17th of Felsite Late spring

The cold winds still howled outside, and winter seemed slow to relinquish it's grip this year. But we got our first taste of spring today. It rained, though in honesty, sleet would be more appropriate.

Unib Ensebzuglar, a pump operator training for the military has been struck down by Mistem. A mandate for adamantine items was not fulfilled. He had been sentenced to ten hammerstrikes, and Mistem is nothing, if not effective.

But this brings me to a very interesting observation. The kaolinite vein I've had 'removed' from the eastern cliffs is finished and I've had some quiet and loyal stoneworkers up there smoothing and engraving it in preparation. One of them came and told me it was complete and ready for my inspection. They'd done a splendid job, but while I was there I learned something absolutely fascinating about the location that Kashez has chosen for his shrine. Due apparently to an accoustic irregularity when I stand at the edge of the cliffs looking out I can hear almost every sound in the valley as if it were a mere five feet away. It's truly amazing but what was more insightful was a conversation I overheard.

"I must disagree, my Queen. I have reason to believe him highly dangerous, perhaps even treacherous to the kingdom."

"Pfah. Do not assume that you are the only one that has him under observation."

"Still, I am here to advise you and I advise against it. He..."

"No. I tell you, he would be far more useful alive then dead. It is my intention to convert him to our own... goddess."

A small silence.

"What? Surely you agree he would make a more useful ally than many?"

"Hmpf. That I will concede, though the thought of him joining us is repugnant to me. I will have to think on this matter."

"Hah, why don't you just admit it? You're still nursing that grudge you have against Atun. He's dead and gone, and you have married well enough. Give her up as well.

I will have him, Agna. Our goddess is persuasive and she has instructed me how to be so as well."

At this point I believe they walked back inside where I could not hear them clearly. I believe I shall have to ensure this location remains concealed and secure. And some clear glass windows would look nicely here. The middle one could open to admit sound, but could be closed to ensure quiet. Yes, I was beginning to like the location that had been chosen.

I would also have to take care. Perhaps I should be more actively trying to avoid the Queen.

((Happy Thanksgiving to all you americans out there. I'll be out of town visiting family for the remainder of the week and thusly internet-deprived.))
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:49:57 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:06 pm »

21st of Felsite Late Spring 1062

If there is something I've learned since the founding of Dorenemal it is this. Busy dwarves don't cause problems. Nor are they easy to find. Heh. I've thrown myself into work. We had run out of logs, and I spent some time on the lower plateau with the woodcutters. Partly to ensure their safety, partly to ensure mine. 

We're still a good deal shy of the amount of fuel we need. This seems to be a perpetual problem. I'm not sure what can be done about it. We harvest as much wood as reasonable. There are no more lignite or coal veins that we know of, though our miners may find more as we continue our exploratory mining. We import wood, coal, charcoal and lignite, so there is little I fear that can be done.

Speaking of mining, I was below in the mines, directing the exploratory shafts. To my pleasure not five paces from our existing shaft we found a decent patch of emeralds. Further in we found another vein of galena, should we need more silver for things. A second patch of emerald was found on the other side of the shaft, so the earth continues to yield up her riches to us.

P.S. Not long after me leaving were two patches of Chrysoberyls found and a patch of Kunzite.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:38:27 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »

13th of Hematite

I've had two really good ideas recently. Or at least I believe them to be good ideas. I've spoken with a few of the children I teach about cooperation and working as a group. I also proposed they help me with an experiment. They're keeping tabs on the Queen as we speak and any time she begins approaching where I am they're to warn me that she is coming. We've set up several fairly inconspicuous signals to communicate with. Though regrettably little Udib's idea about sneezing twice was accepted. I fear it may be a tad obvious but the other children liked it so much it was embraced unilaterally. I can imagine what it would be like, but before too long I wonder if the Queen will notice children sneezing around her.

I also spoke with Tarin about the mandates that are made. He'll speak with his wife about the possiblility of having a list of potential trouble-makers and using failed mandates against them. It is being tested out. The first such was Dastot, a marksdwarf that will be imprisoned for eighty days for failing to make an adamantine item. It may seem somewhat random but he's been drinking and chatting up several of the royal guard known to be linked to Agna. I'd like to discourage that sort of thing, and though it doesn't really seem fair, I refuse to be undermined by him in our own fortress.

In other news, the humans have arrived to trade. I'm not positive but I suspect I'm being watched.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2008, 10:34:37 pm »

17th of Hematite

I don't know who originally picks the days to hold general elections of mayoral positions. Whoever did it, either deliberately held them during the busiest time of the year, or were isolationists and didn't trade at all. I'd have chosen a better time, say winter, to hold elections, or perhaps the end of autumn, when more people have a bit of breathing room.

In any case, Bembul won a clear victory again. He has been the popular choice and thankfully I don't see that changing in the very near future. The fact that he is so loyal to the clan helps ease my mind. It has been considerable time since I 'lost' the election to him, and it bothers me not at all to have passed of that responsibility.

The projects continue well. The roof of Avuz's temple is finally complete and I only await the miners having cleared the remaining interior to begin construction there. Additionally I've begun construction of emergency exits/siege breaker towers. We'll have one for the upper plateau only for now. Should any goblins get trapped outside we can simply send a small force across a retractible bridge. It's in the north-west corner. I'd prefer the south-west upper corner to remain inconspicuous as our secret exit lies just below where the wall meets the cliff. Of course, it requires an act of near suicide to get in that way, but we'll leave a pick on the inside to carve a stair there should the need arise to leave.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 03, 2008, 01:08:18 pm »

23rd of Hematite

It's always busy during trading times, but a few days ago a kobold was spotted to liven things up. Astesh, one of our stonecrafters and creator of Sosadkaroth spied the thing coming down from the upper ramp. True to fashion she pounced on it, striking a heavy blow and knocking it down. As she pummeled the creature lifeless, fending off feeble blows with the oversized dagger a small crowd had gathered to watch. A ragged cheer went up as she finally knocked the thing unconcious, before braining it on the road, blood staining the silver bright red. The crowd quickly dispersed afterwards, each taking items to their appropriate locations.

The trading itself was less than was hoped for. I had the opportunity to inspect the wares with Bembul and though he did the trading I did recognize a guard or two from the old days, and they me. Apparently the trade routes were still difficult with the goblin threat and though we were holding our own in the war, and the humans as well, roads were still ... unsafe. They'd only been able to bring us ten turtles, twenty logs (a decent amount but less than we hoped for) and a large selection of metal bars they'd traded for at the last outpost.

Word had it that the goblins continue to attack travellers and that, though our forces in the south had met and defeated a large goblin army, the cost had been high. No one yet knew the strength of the goblin forces in their entirety and so the war would likely last many more years, despite the goblins taking heavy losses. If only they were the only ones taking losses...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2008, 06:20:14 pm »

((This is totally out of character as I've come up against something that should prove fun near the end of the year. Any of you military types want to go glory hunting? Now's your opportunity. I believe the list of named units in the military includes Ragnar, Aardvark, Kuli, Kolok and Melonius. If any of you are interested in a 1 on 1 fun volunteer now. I'm a few months ahead of posts which provides me with a nice buffer to think about what I'm going to write.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:46:26 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:11 pm »

Kuli Dancetreaties the Tenacious Machine of Lightning volunteers to do battle for the glory of Dorenemal! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:30 pm »

pick me a random useless dwarf please, enlist him as a macedwarf of the name Crushed. Set him as the first to fight the megabeast, a true test of dwarven might! No previous training please, but if you must...
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2008, 12:44:08 pm »

((Kuli beat you to it Sonerohi, but I'll see if I can accomodate both of you. I may have some fun experimenting in any case.))

1st of Limestone Autumn

A fair wind blows through the area at this time of year, and I can think of few nicer times of the year to be born. Two more additions joined us.

Aban, a peasant and wife of Fath, one of our guard, gave birth to a girl.

A little closer to me personally, was the birth of the boy Atun, by my sister-in-law, the Dutchess Zefon.

It was a nice guesture of them to name their son after our foster father, and I hope that he will be able to live up to the name. On second thought, I hope he will have an opportunity to live, and do with his name what he chooses. Too often I fear are parents guilty of projecting their own desires onto their children, though why such a thing is done is not difficult to comprehend.

It is perhaps, a greater tragedy to place the burden on a child of doing something great, than it is should they not accomplish such a goal.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:48:15 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 05, 2008, 02:32:08 pm »

15th of Limestone

The dwarven merchant caravan has arrived, bringing with it what appears to be much needed goods. The wagons are stacked with wood, and one or two appear to be carrying bins of cloth and leather. It's the condition of the guards that concerns me though. One of them was confined to the wagon, propped up on logs carrying a crossbow. His leg had been obviously broken and lay, still at a slightly crooked angle next to the other. It had been wrapped with some cloth, but he clearly needed more permanent care. Many of the others sported injuries to a lesser extent.

Apparently a giant had seen them and decided they'd make a nice snack. They'd managed to injure it somewhat and drive it off, but not without injuries of their own. I'd heard that the mountains around here had been peaceful for some time so I wonder why it seems that now things seem to be on edge. It doesn't seem possible that the goblins are the sole cause, but perhaps we should be looking into this. The question is... how? By all accounts our military is still tied up fighting in the mountains to the south and east. Outposts and villages provide a screen of sorts against incursions from the west, though no true patrols in the mountains exist. It just seems strange.

Oh, and they caravan had 70 lumber, a decent selection of meat as well as leather and cloth.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2008, 11:34:43 am »

18th of Limestone

Another child, Lorbam, was seemingly possessed by a creative spirit today. For some strange reason he went to the special crafts workshop area. There surrounded by hundreds of glistening gemstones and ingots of precious metals he grabbed a single turtle shell and began work.

His creation? Ondinzeg, a turtle shell chain. Quite impressive considring I didn't realize it was possible to craft chains from turtle shells. Strangely it has an image of Mahoganys (sic) on it in turtle shell.

Oh, and in the common toungue the name means The Faded Tattoes.

It is an impressive work, despite it being somewhat anticlimactic in comparison to other such artifacts. There is something strange about it however that I may need to investigate when I have a bit of time.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 08, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

6th of Sandstone

Recently we've had two more births to celebrate. Or at least, one birth to celebrate and one apparently to gossip about. Nish, our ever prolific guard has given birth to a boy recently. There was a small private party for her in the dining hall.

Our Queen, Zuglar, has also given birth, and it is that little male child that has caused much controversy. Apparently, he looks little enough like his father to raise questions, and rumor has it that a guard has been wagging his toungue about fathering it. Officially of course the child is of the royal couple, but the gossip has not ceased. Few seem surprised that the Queen would do such a thing, and the King consort has been somewhat moody lately, spending more and more time at the trade depot and the special crafts workshop 'playing' with the gems and precious metals there. I suspect that this will all blow over soon enough.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50