Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101504 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Dorenemal: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan (Community Fortress)
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2008, 06:59:59 pm »

23rd of Opal

My sister-in-law gave birth to a healthy little girl today. Tarin came to let me know. I admit it's strange seeing him already married, settled and raising kids. He was the youngest of us four and yet he's the first to do so. Perhaps the only one of us all to have the chance. Only time will tell on that count.

((I'll start looking for someone appropriate Cepheid. There's no shortage of masons to be sure.))
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2008, 07:12:33 pm »

Holy crap, been a while. Damn, I can't believe what a badass Ragnar turned into. 16 kills per siege with a nervous system injury? Lawds.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2008, 04:20:13 pm »

((

Paulus' wife gives birth to a baby boy!

Paulus cancels Sleep: Seeking infant))

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2008, 04:39:40 pm »

Congratulations. ;D

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2008, 06:58:55 pm »

((Thanks. If only it were as easy in real life as DF makes it seem.

Woman cancels sparring session:

(Woman gives birth to child)

Seeking infant.

(Resumes sparring)

I'll get back to posting once I can catch up on sleep.))

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2008, 08:08:09 pm »

Indeed.  Congratulations!  Don't let your wife carry him into battle now, could be detrimental for his health.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 01, 2008, 03:05:16 am »

Just a Dorenemal question. Are we importing charcoal? If not, WHY?

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2008, 10:36:30 pm »

((Yes, we do actually import charcoal. And wood, and Bituminous coal and lignite from the dwarves and wood and charcoal from the humans. Our furnaces should shortly be up and running full steam for a bit again here.))

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2008, 04:32:37 pm »

28th of Opal

Our illustrious Queen gave birth to a girl today. News of it was proclaimed through the fortress by the Royal guard. I also caught several a few of the soldiers making cracks about it. The king consort had come through the area with a bag full of gemstones to take to the special workshop and the pair had interrupted their sparring to joke about it. Well after he had gone. I called one of them over later and asked discreetly about it. It seems the king consort is somewhat of a joke among those in the know. The Queen and he were married to cement a political alliance and both supposedly gained much in the deal. He gained a considerable amount of wealth and influence, and she gained power and the support of one of the larger dwarven clan in the tribe, which in turn allowed her to cement her position as successor to her father.

Rumor also has it that there is little love lost between the pair, and that the Queen regularly takes lovers into her special bedchambers. According to the rumors none of their children are his, though that somewhat stretches the imagination. Still, another child is another child, and we can only hope that here she'll learn other more useful skills than the joining of politics and bad bedside behavior.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 08, 2008, 06:25:11 pm »

4th of Granite

It's a new year again, though I was forced to celebrate it with only Led. He's not bad, but, like I said last time, has some strange ideas. Still, a stout enough dwarf and one that's been through thick and thin with the clan. He's one of the few hunters we have, and the longest lasting by far. Regrettably it's a short-lived profession.

Still, I write this because I overheard that Udil, one of our furnace operators, gave birth to a boy early this morning.

I don't know what it is. It must just be that time of year, but babies are popping up left and right. I myself had a dream I was married and had a son born to me. It was a very very strange dream, since I was human and married to Abba. Not an unpleasant dream, especially with her in it, but still strange. The kid looked very cute though, at least I thought so when I was a human, but as you can quickly imagine dreams can blur perception and this one was one of those.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2008, 06:50:20 pm »

12th of Granite

The elves have returned. I don't think anyone was particularly excited to see them and with the goods their merchants brought they'll certainly make no friends here. Clothing that is too large for us. Wooden weapons. Lots and lots of cloth, which we have plenty of. And a box of prickle berries.

Bembul told me about the whole amusing scenario when he brought me some water.

Apparently the diplomat arrived first and spoke with Queen Zuglar. I'm not sure things went well, but she, nonetheless, agreed to limit our cutting of trees as the two veteran diplomats exchanged barbs with each other. Zuglar informed Bembul that he should trade for the berries, the only item we could use, but only gave him one item to trade with. A masterwork Donkey skull totem. He got the berries, much to our mutual surprise. The elves accepted the totem in exchange.

Personally, I suspect that the elves were annoyed at us for not agreeing to limit our tree-cutting deforestation this past year, and for this didn't bring hardly anything to trade. Not that it makes that much of a difference for us. Still, relations between our races, though not always cordial, remain at least reasonably friendly. No one is fond of the goblins.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:17:34 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2008, 07:01:29 pm »

15th of Granite

Things were as busy as normal around the fortress, and few of the sturdy dwarves even bothered glancing at the elves waiting patiently in the trade depot with unwanted goods. Children played on the roof in the snow that lay like a blanket over the landscape, despite it being spring-time. These were dwarves of the north, and the alcohol that flowed in their veins warmed them enough for such a mild cold as today.

The chill that suddenly permeated the air when a cry went up was not from the weather, nor the occasional snowballs of the children though. The cry went up from the east and no traders were due, the elves already present. Everyone knew what that meant. A quick hush settled over everyone as they sought family members, trying to reassure themselves that their own loved ones were safe and not out cutting the last stragglers of timber or hauling it in from the south.

Those working outside in the snowstorm heard the call more clearly though, and passed it on. The goblins had come in force again. We were besieged by a vile force bent on our destruction. Ordinarily the gates would have crashed down, allowing all time to get to safety, but such could not occur with civilians out in the snow. Urvad and her squad of champions, as well as Fath responded quickly, leaving the comfort of the frozen falls and statuary for the heat and chaos of battle above. For the civilians they would arrive in time. For the woodcutters it was another matter.

The three woodcutters assigned to bring in the last of the trees were Kolok, Oddom and Kogan, all stout and skilled in their trade. But at the sight of more than a dozen goblins approaching from the east out of the white swirling masses hesitation struck. They could run for the ramp, possibly arriving before the goblins, but it was uncertain, and only Kogan was close enough to clearly make it. The three sprinted towards the south-eastern building, skirting along the banks where the snow was lighter since the wind whipped it over the top from the west. A group of goblins broke away from the pack, heading straight for the three and they knew they'd have to make a stand and hope they had time. Kolok, shouted at the others above the howling winds:

"Ach, it's no use mates. We'll be pinned against the walls if we go on. Let's make a stand here and fight and die like dwarves if need be."

Oddom hefted his axe and merely nodded, settling into a crouch north of Kolok, who stood out in the open daring the four goblins to approach. Kogan, to the dismay of the others broke for shelter and only gained the safety of the ramp at the cost to the others. The goblins had spotted them and began advancing, a wrestler in the lead flanked by a trio of speargoblins.

The wrestler made a feint towards Kolok before launching himself bodily into the dwarf, the pair landing softly in the snow next to the black walls. Throwing the goblin off Kolok stood again facing off with the wrestler, and feigning an attack as Oddom came in from behind, unheard, to cleave into the foolish goblin. His fate was sealed by the time his three companions arrived to help, one tackling Oddom while the other two engaged Kolok. The pair circled around the seemingly helpless dwarf until one of the goblins lost it's footing only slightly. Kolok was on it in a flash, tearing a chunk out of it's leg with his axe, and severing a hand on the return strike. Oddom wasn't faring quite as well, but was holding his own when he saw the killing blow land on the goblin at the same time as a spear pierced through the arm of his fellow woodcutter. Summoning pent up fury the dwarf drove the goblin back and off of him, dealing shocking blows even as Kolok too gave as he had received. In seconds the goblins lay dead and dismembered at their feet, but Kolok was badly wounded and they stood no chance against the twelve others that advanced, considerably slower upon them from the east. There was no choice then, they would flee for safety and hope and trust in the defenders of Dorenemal to catch them before the goblins did. And so began the deadly game anew, no gates had been raised to impede the goblins this time and fleeing dwarves were to be seen. A change seemed to be in the wind for them and it was pleasant.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2008, 01:58:35 pm »

As the two woodcutters crested the ramp their hearts dropped within them briefly, before spurring them on to greater speeds. A second group of goblins had begun pouring through the upper gate to the east and was nearly upon them as well. They cleared the ramp to the gate mere feet in front of the first of the creatures who were howling after their blood and running after them. Kolok was the first to clear the corner of the building and for a second his heart leaped within him. About a dozen dwarves were coming towards him from where he was running. Another second later a heavy dread filled both him and Oddom who now saw what he did. Their kin, unarmed, unarmored and untrained had begun pouring from the gates to see the spectacles of battle, not knowing that the soldiers of Dorenemal had yet to issue forth.

Oddom growled a curse before spitting and turning to Kolok as they ran.

"Bloody civilians. Yer in no shape to fight, get yerself in and take them blasted peasants with ye. I'll hold here 'til the guard shows."

There was little Kolok could do about the situation. Blood poured freely down his arm leaving a trail of red droplets in the snow, which steamed for a few seconds after he passed. The others walking towards them with gaiety didn't understand the situation until the first of the goblins rounded the corner, causing mass consternation and panic.

"Ah... goblins!" was the cry, as those in the front saw the danger and panicked, trying with little success to press against those coming from behind who could not see the danger. It nearly escalated to a mass-panic but Urvad's clear voice cut through the confusion like a sword.

"Make way for the fighters or be struck down where ye stand!"

Sazir from her patrol was well ahead of her, as was Mafol from Fath's squad and the pair slipped deftly through the throng, while Urvad did her best to take charge of the situation. The other commanders were below, asleep or in meetings which left her as the ranking dwarf. She called back to another from her squad calling for Kuli and his to get up here and cover the west ramp should they be attacked from there as well, before plowing into the thick of the pressing masses.

Oddom was surrounded by three of the goblins already by the time Sazir and Mafol reached him. But the fighting broke out then in earnest, as the rest of the goblins rounded the corner to greet them.

The silver street of Dorenemal ran red again that day. Sazir and Mafol clove into their enemies with abandon, carving their way to Oddom's side and pressing on into the enemy. In minutes the goblin patrol had broken, fleeing to the east from whence they came, the pair in hot pursuit of stragglers. Many of the civilians had stayed to watch the battle, and to clean up afterwards, but again, their presumption of beginning before the end of the siege was ill-favored.

The patrol that Kolok and Oddom had initially encountered had finally gained the heights of the middle cliff, having confirmed the death of their squadmates. Anger simmered in their eyes as they saw a knot of dwarves, unarmed, cleaning up after the carnage of the small battle. Orders were barked in their gutteral toungue and the goblins pressed forward, eagerly. A child spotted them approaching first and called out in alarm. Soon consternation reigned again among the civilians. Their soldiers were still in pursuit of the first group, or back at the ramp to the west.

It was either bravery or stubbornness that caused Mafol, the miner and one of the founders to step forward to confront them. At his side out of the crowd stepped Medtob, his lover and the pair, wielding their steel picks faced down the dozen goblins threatening their kin.

The goblins approached, howling and shouting curses, in contrast to the dwarves who stood silent and immovable in the swirling snow. A quick squeeze of each other's hands was all that passed between the lovers as they faced the murderous goblins.

As the goblins came within striking distance the dwarves exploded into action, smashing out left and right with the sharpened picks. The goblins, for their part, exploded in gore and blood, lungs punctured, skulls pierced, limbs rendered useless, their splintered bones causing agony. What were a mere dozen goblins to the pair of hardened miners? They'd carved stone down to the bones of the mountains, as deep as reasonably possible while still having clean air to breathe. They'd hauled tons of rock, and carved much much more than that. A small little goblin weighed nothing to them, even impaled upon their picks. Mafol slaughtered four before they even thought to run. Medtob managed three, and then even when the goblins fled in terror they each ran down another planting their picks into the earth through the backs of the goblins as they ran.

The siege ended not long after. Kuli's squad decimated a third goblin platoon on the west, catching the frontrunners in the traps before chasing the others down. A few got away. Most died within feet of the gate.

The heroes of the siege were feted that evening. Kolok, who had slain two. Oddom who had slain two as well, but died in defense of his home and would be interred in honor. Mafol of Fath's squad, now known as Mafol Isanlitast Tosidarzes Tustem or Mafol Stilltorch the Armored Knight of Courtesy who slew five. Sazir of Urvad's squad who slew three. Eral, of Fath's squad, now known as Eral Zagodmosus Kirargotom Mishar or Eral Griproom the Righteous Cavity of Deities who slew three. And last but not least the miners Mafol Egastiden now known with Govosgomath Iklist or Mafol Clenchpaddle the Leafy Legend of Whispering for his uncanny silence while fighting, who slew five. And Medtob, his lover, now known as Medtob Daseliden Buketngarak Irid or Medtob Heavenpaddle the Quick Beetle, who slew four.

The siege ended on the 25th of Granite, not long after it began. Oddom, may he rest entombed in stone undisturbed, was the only loss. Kolok, though wounded recovers as I write. Nearly fourty goblins were sent this day to meet their gods, may they take mercy on them for their stupidity in attacking Dorenemal.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »

20th of Slate

I find it very frustrating that my limbs refuse to heal properly. I have been assured that if I don't remain in bed they'll never set properly and I'd likely be crippled for the rest of my life. I am too young to consider such a course, though some days it seems remarkably tempting to be free of this bed despite the cost. The true punishment for me I think was not in being chained nor beaten, it's having to endure inactivity and watching life fly by while I am unable to keep up with it. I think I understand how the aged feel. Their bodies are no longer able to keep up with the rigors of normal labor or combat, and if they are valued, or were during their lives I can only imagine what a blow it would be to them to be forced into inactivity. To have been skilled and useful and then to have lost it due to weakness and age must be a terrible trial. At least I still have my youth and vigor.

But life does pass by quickly. Too quickly for some. The Dutchess had requested some crystal glass items to be made, and though our miners looked we found no material suitable for them. The merchants brought some but it was already cut and would yield too little material. For this shortage Fath, our peasant turned glassmaker, was sentenced to sixteen hammerstrikes. He survived two. It's a shame that our glassmaking industry seems decimated consistently by these mandates, yet it is our law and I am in no position at the moment to do anything about it.

Fath's death was somewhat balanced by the birth of a girl to Zefon, our brewer. Again. To hear tell there are more children hanging around the brewery than ever, especially when Zefon is working. But she does produce some truly wonderful drink.

((As a note, I've modified the initial entry to conform to a more story-telling perspective. Nothing truly important, but a couple of foreshadow things in there.))
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:54:43 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2008, 04:18:27 am »

Hahaha Kolok a hero I like the sound of that  :D

Great work with the siege it was a brilliant read
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50