Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101499 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Dorenemal: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan (Community Fortress)
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2008, 11:39:14 am »

22nd of Moonstone

Apparently Urvad gave birth to a son earlier today. I'd congratulate her, but I don't see her that often since I'm still bed-ridden. In fact I don't see much of what is going on, nor can I properly meet with someone in my state so it is rather frustrating. It seems that she's named the child after me. Paulus Fikodsodel, or Glazeshields. I certainly hope the name brings the child luck.

16th of Opal

Nish, our prolific guard gave birth today to a girl.

21st of Opal

Zefon, my brother's wife, the dutchess gave birth to a girl today. That makes a son and a daughter for them. Tarin and his wife came to visit me and I was able to congratulate both of them.

11th of Obsidian

With the gates shut it's been a quiet winter. Which is good, since a third of the fortress is busy chasing children. Mosus, our leatherworker gave birth to a girl today. We've had so many new children recently it amazes me. With the new additions our population is as high as it's ever been. Nearly two hundred souls.

Work on the projects continues, or so Bembul informs me. It's cussedly difficult to stay in bed when I want to get up and see to things. I tried the other day, but my leg still can't take the weight. I fell because of it, but thankfully no one was around to see my embarrassment. My hand is better though, which is a relief, though my arm still pains me.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2008, 06:38:48 pm »

16th of Obsidian

Lolor, one of our legendary stonecrafters created a wonderful artifact. He calls it Isonmedtob, or Planblockade, after our defensive arrangement. It is a granite amulet and having seen it I heartily approve.

Apparently while I was imprisoned there was another such artifact made, along more original lines. It was made with obsidian, and clearly hinted at the work ethic of this fortress itself. Both items are truly stunning pieces of workdwarfship. I felt better just seeing them.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2008, 06:49:56 pm »

1st of Granite 1060

A decade has passed at this our home. Though I'm still lamed and my arm pains me I am alive and recovering, despite feeling useless. At least the food is good. Fre has improved, though I thought that impossible. The festivities continue below, and the low roar of so many dwarves drinking together reaches even here. Ragnar brought me a mug of sewerbrew, despite me not being overly fond of it. Still, it is alcohol, which I've been missing, and I don't think he's aware that it's not my favorite.

In addition, Bembul informs me that the engineering crew is putting the final touches on our road work today. That in and of itself is remarkable. The entire road, where it was not stone, is now paved in silver. Bembul even informed me that we still have plenty of the metal itself, despite the paving project. Perhaps I'll think up some good use for it, though I'll have to save some of it for future plans.

Speaking of future plans, I've asked Bembul to oversee the clearing of the three upper floors of the south-east building in preparation.

Things are going well indeed.

(Attached is a listing of fortress information provided by Paulus)

((For all those of you that have characters, if you want to get an update on them let me know and I'll post one. I've decided not to do them routinely, but have no problem with it if you are interested.))

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2008, 11:04:52 pm »

10 years, congratulations!

Don't suppose you could upload a map to the map archive, or would that give away your secret project?
Magma is overrated.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2008, 05:44:48 pm »

18th of Granite

I heard some animals coming along the pathway outside my building. Which, at this time of the year, typically means the elves have come to trade. I heard a shout from the sentry at the roof not long after and then the activity began in the area of the trade post. Despite being bed-ridden healing I've noticed that if I pay attention I can sense much of what is going on around me. I can hear much through the stone, feel the earth shaking at a footstep, see in my mind's eye what is anticipated or expected.

The usual preparations begin, bringing some goods to the Depot to trade. Perhaps the elves would bring wood this year.

Tarin entered my room to converse with me not too long after the elves have arrived.

"Paulus, the Dutchess wanted to know about previous relations with the elves. It seems that they're insisting we cut no more than a hundred trees again."

I cursed silently. Their requests had been easy enough to grant when the forests were re-growing, but they were not ready to be harvested once more, and the elves, true to fashion, could not accept that we cut too many. Our forges had lain cold too long.

"Did they bring wood with them to trade?"

Tarin shook his head, sighing in disgust. "Not a branch."

"Well, it is technically her choice, as she is the Dutchess, but our forests are ripe for harvesting. Perhaps if we decline their demands this year they will be more reasonable next year. And if we work quick we can harvest all our lumber before they come again. That way it won't be an issue if they ask us again next year, we won't have trees to cut at that point."

Tarin nodded, understanding my intent quickly and smiled, agreeing. "I'll let her know what you think about the matter. She's in the meeting now and wanted to know how relations have been with them."

"Better than most, honestly. We've given them good deals for what they've brought, and complied with their requests so far. One year shouldn't damage our relations too much."

He left.

If all went well the elves would not be happy, but there was little they could do about it. And though my plans were slowly coming on, being able to harvest the lumber and get our furnaces running again would help us in many ways. Not the least of which was to finish equipping our ever-increasing armed forces. I'd seen some soldiers sparring without helmets the other day. A dangerous proposition when wielding axes.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2008, 01:33:34 pm »

20th of Granite

Tarin and I were discussing the wood situation with Bembul yesterday. The elves always arrive from the east and leave to the west. That works rather well for us.

We've ordered the lower forest to be harvested in it's entirety. Two squads of military were ordered out to protect them, which is probably good since a baby snatcher was caught and killed as the squads headed out.

An ambush was also spotted on the ramp, but foolishly they wandered into the traps, or fled.

The lower plateau will be harvested while the elves are here. And the rest can be harvested later at our convenience. Most of the upper plateau is within our walls now and the lumber up there as well.

We'll have our forges and burners up and running as soon as the elves leave. Not that we necessarily fear any retribution from them, nor even an attack, but in times of war it's best not to be fighting on two fronts.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2008, 01:59:32 pm »

25th of Granite

Zefon, our brewer gave birth to a boy today. Apparently she sent someone up to tell me, and sent me a mug of beer with the news. I certainly appreciated it. People keep trying to bring me water. Don't ask me why. Nothing wrong with a little kip now and again when recovering.

((Oh, and I totally plan on both posting a map and putting the world up on DFFD when I'm done with this part and before I move on to the next part of the story-line. So don't worry. I'll try to make this place fun to explore... if you can find the secret ways in...))
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:08:44 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2008, 02:23:56 pm »

11th of Slate

Aardvark apparently held a 'training' exhibition with the remaining goblin captives. I heard about it from some guards that were sparring near my room and managed to get a relatively complete story of what it entailed. Apparently Aardvark felt the fortress guard wasn't getting enough hands on experience. I'll admit they have a rough job. They don't have the prestige that the Royal guard does, nor do they get the action that the military sees. Put that together and the Fortress guard is generally considered the place to go when you're crippled, old or completely inept. Admittedly that's a very unfair assessment of our guard, as we have several champions in their midst. Five I think. In any case, rumors had been floating around that Aardvark wasn't the same sort of military leader that Ragnar had been, since he was first and foremost our armorer, and had very few kills under his belt.

That comparison as well is unfair and largely unfounded. Both Ragnar and Aardvark are exceptional warriors and talented in many other areas. But after Fre nearly gutted a dwarf for speaking ill of Aardvark in her hearing I suspect that he felt he needed to put down the rumors with force, lest his lover do it for him. The remaining five goblins were brought to our combat arena, a guard, two pikegoblins, a wrestler and a crossbowgoblin. Aardvark dressed in his finest armor, steel plate so well crafted and tempered it had a faint blue sheen to it. He was locked in and the goblins were released. All at the same time.

Most soldiers would fare well at even two or three to one odds, but five to one is typically considered borderline crazy. Well, except around here. There are plenty around here that have survived far worse odds. There are also sufficient who haven't.

Aardvark fought superbly by all accounts. In fact, apparently the skirmish lasted less than five minutes, much to the dissapointment of the spectators on the upper gallery. Still, several of them got sprayed with blood and one got pelted with a goblin arm that went flying. In the end the goblins lay dead, Aardvark stood untouched, and I've heard no one speak even glibly about his effectiveness.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:53:59 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2008, 06:28:44 pm »

23rd of Slate

I heard the sound of the incoming dwarves long before I got any other sign of their presence. Of course, blowing large granite horns makes it sort of obvious. A cry went up from the walls shortly thereafter.

"The King has arrived with a full entourage!"

I smiled. Despite being injured still my plans were progressing. The presence of the king here with a full entourage could only mean one thing. The history texts were right. Though it did not happen too commonly the king had the ability to choose where he or she would house their government. It was not uncommon for them to move around routinely should a more stable, richer or defensible position be found, depending on the needs of the kingdom at the time. The last move had occurred nearly a hundred and fifty years ago, moving the capital from Lalkol, near the accursed tundra, further south to Sazirgeb, which was much more conducive to trade.

The shift to here would confirm what I suspected. The war weighed heavily on the king's mind and a defensible fortress like Dorenemal was preferred for safety's sake in these times. Practically, it meant several things for us. We were now a mountainhome. More importantly we were the Mountainhome. The king's court would be moved here and with the vast majority of the populace being members of the Fahlstrom clan it significantly boosted our ability to withstand Agna's plots, which would now risk the king's wrath in addition to our own if discovered. I'd had rooms carved out, smoothed and engraved for their arrival for three years now. That had been the easy part. Furnishing them up to proper expectations was a little more difficult. But again, I'd been preparing there as well, though we were undoubtedly not quite up to snuff. Still, the horns blowing brought change to this place. And I believe it to be change for the better.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2008, 11:43:11 am »

16th of Felsite

I heard the news as they were bringing a fresh batch of lumber in. Amost, a cheesemaker new to our fortress, died in the lower lakes. Apparently he was unfamiliar with our spring thaw and ventured out onto the lake carrying a pine log. The combined weight was too much for the ice and he broke through. We were unable to retrieve his corpse as we have no way of draining a lake of that size. We'll have to wait for it to freeze.

Apparently the Dutchess continues her hunt for adamantine items. At least Tarin is more reasonable in his mandates. Bins, ballistae parts and the occasional item made from zinc. This time it was Led, our resident hunter who put himself out of a job turned bonecarver, who for some strange reason bore the penalty for not being able to come up with adamantine. He was ordered to receive five hammerstrikes and amazingly he survived. Or course, I probably shouldn't be surprised. As the only hunter to live for so long out in the wilds around our place, before the walls went up, and the creator of one of our artifacts he is rather imposing for a dwarf. Thankfully he is also quieter, though we do get into some interesting discussions now that we're quartered together in the infirmary. He's got two mangled arms to match my legs. But he's a tough cookie so I have no doubt he'll heal up well enough given a bit of time.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2008, 06:09:11 pm »

10th of Hematite

A hazy mist filled my vision, scenes of a great temple being built only partly obscured by the cloud. I was seeing the grand edifice from above, though in my mind, I knew that was impossible. Drums rang out from the four points of the temple, and a great fire rose to obscure my vision with smoke. The sound continued though, penetrating the haze with an uncanny clarity.

I awoke, covered in a light sweat despite the coolness of the air. I could still hear a throbbing in my ears that I knew to be the pounding of my heart. But there was another throb, lower that sounded through the stone. Sounds of many feet, too small to be human, too loud to be elven or kobold, too light to be dwarven. The goblins had come again. In my minds eye I could see them approaching, half a hill crest away from the fortress. I lay in silence for many minutes wondering if I was beginning to go crazy. Led was breathing rhythmically in the bed across the room and I found myself focusing again on the sounds. I could still hear them, but was unsure now of their reality.

That is, until the watch above us cried out.

"A vile force of darkness has arrived! We are besieged! Raise the gates!"

The sound of heavy iron gates being raised from the ground was clear to any in the neighboring building, but the goblins were not quite there yet.

It was some time before the gates were droppped again, allowing the goblins into our ready-made trap. I wasn't sure who was coordinating the combat until I heard Aardvark barking out commands as he approached the main gates. He was only a wall or two away from me, and with soldiers coming in and out of the building his voice carried on the light wind easily.

Apparently there were five groups that had been spotted. Two from the lower east, and two from the upper west and a fifth from the upper east. When the gates went down a mighty howling and scraping of metal on metal filled the air as the hate-filled goblins began pouring into our home, treading on our silvered road and making their way to our gates where they hoped to overwhelm us. Four of the groups were inside our trap when it sprang shut. The fifth group had made no move to enter, remaining instead on the upper slope prowling about our wall. I heard Aardvark order some archers up there to pick them off as well as possible before the main attack could begin.

Apparently Melonius was the first to make it up there, though Fre wasn't far behind. I heard them arguing as they came back down. Rather I should say, Melonius was arguing with Fre, insisting that she'd taken two of his kills, goblins that he'd injured first. Fre saluted Aardvark and reported that the goblins on the slopes had been driven off. Five had been killed by her hand.

I could see the exchange almost as if I were present. Melonius behind her sulking since he'd only gotten two injuries while she had stolen her kills, assuming, erroneously, in his mind that since she was the cook and he a true marksman he had the greater skill with a bow and that it was her luck that had granted her the feat. Secretly, I think Fre had simply grabbed a larger quiver, not that her skill with a bow was inferior to Mel's. After she reported she gave Aardvark a peck on the cheek and told him she'd have a hot meal for him when he finished up here and went below. Waving his hand in dismissal Aardvark waved Melonius off as well, turning to Kuli and Zuglar, both speardwarves in the army.

The goblins got to stew in the trap for a few days. I could hear them beating on the walls from time to time, checking to make sure that they were sound, and trying to find a way out of the goblin deathtrap that Dorenemal had become.

Several days later as I was meditating during a night I could not sleep, I felt the gates being eased open. Aardvark, Kuli and Zuglar slipped out into the chill night air as silent as possible given the fact that they likely wore full plate and were armed to the teeth. The goblins in their foolishness had separated into groups in our halls and slowly the three crept along, slaying goblins that saw them before a general alarm could be raised. The nearly score goblins on the ramp and near the upper gate perished in a combined assault as Aardvark rapped on the stone, signalling the engineer to fire the newly installed ballistae overlooking the upper gate-hall. They had two shots, but were very effective. A single heavy bolt slew three, passing clean through the surprised first goblin and clipping two others, one in the side and the other in the head. It was not long before they bled to death.

That was the moment the three charged the remaining goblins. Kuli took the lead charging into the pack and stabbing out on his left and right, causing fear and confusion in the ranks of enemy before focusing on a single victim which he stabbed and bore to the ground beneath his spear, twisting it in the wound until the goblin stopped thrashing. Aardvark and Zuglar were approaching from behind, catching up after picking off a straggler lower down on the ramp. Kuli spun, catching a blow meant for him on his weapon, and a second on his shield as he brought his spear in tightly before thrusting out at the goblin's head. It took the goblin in the eye, lodging firmly in the wound, and falling out of Kuli's hands as the goblin fell to the ground unconcious. Being unarmed didn't stop him from beating two goblins to death and finishing off the one that had his spear lodged firmly in it's skull before the battle was over.

The three retreated back to the fort to rearm quickly before heading out again, Kuli grabbing a spare weapon just in case. The final group of goblins was out near the eastern gate, camped on the cliff-side in a group numbering roughly thirty. The three approached stealthily, spotting the group from around the corner of the building before charging. Aardvark led this time, with the other two flanking him paces behind. I was exhilarated just sensing the battle, the clash of steel on iron the cries of goblins as they were thrown, or jumped from the cliff to escape the wrath of the three juggernauts from Dorenemal. Almost the entire group was pinned against the bluff as the three rushed in, and later during clean-up the corpses of four goblins were found at the bottom of the cliffs, one in the lake a good thirty feet from the rock face.

The siege had been swift and brutal, but not dangerous for us. I heard of only a single serious injury, a mason on the upper walls that had been hit by a bolt of crossbowgoblins as they were coming in. His wits and reflexes saved him by jumping behind a section of wall. No other injuries had been reported. Ten goblins had gotten away, the group that hadn't entered the fort proper. Seventy goblins lay dead, staining the silver road red.

((That's Aardvark in blue, Kuli in white and Zuglar in yellow.))

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

10th of Galena

Kogan, our planter, gave birth to a boy today.

A more interesting turn of events has given me much to think about however. Led was asleep in the other bed despite the noise from two sparring royal guard. It was surprising then that they stopped suddenly when a third guard entered. This was a new one. I didn't recognize him at all. Warning bells went off in my brain and I began thinking of ways that I could use to defend myself or escape if needed. There weren't many options.

The two guards that had been sparring saluted the third and ran to secure the doors to the room while the other walked back to the door and spoke briefly with someone in a hushed tone before coming back and standing near the foot of my bed. Only a short while later a cloaked figure entered and pulled up the orthoclase chair next to my bed, sitting down and staring at me in silence for a few seconds. The hood she, I was convinced it was a she at least, wore concealed her appearance sufficiently.

It was she who broke the silence, a pleasant but penetrating voice asking:

"Do you know who I am?"

"I have a few guesses."

She nodded for me to continue with my explanation.

"There are two possible options. You are not someone I recognize by voice, nor by the way you move, so you must have been in the most recent group that arrived. You also retain command of the royal guard. Which means you are either the wife of the advisor, Agna, or the wife of the King. Agna would not have wanted to come here, but there is little his wife would have to say to me, particularly in person. So you must be the Queen-consort."

She chuckled lightly before turning to her guard.

"See I warned you that he was perceptive."

Turning to me she began removing her hood when a soft knock at the door was heard. A silvery glint of metal and precious stones could be seen on her head before it was again covered and she quickly made for the other door with her guard. She left quickly and silently, but not before whispering:

"Perceptive you are, but not completely correct. I expect better by the next time I visit."

In a heart-beat the room was again empty, but shortly thereafter someone came to bring a bucket of water for Led and saw to his thirst. It had been a strange meeting. One that hinted at many things, and I was missing something. I needed to think.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

13th of Galena

I was looking at the temple again. It was not finished, even in my dreams, but it's magnificence could not be denied, even unfinished. The silver star of the mountain called out to me, beckoned me to come, but still I resisted, for what reason I knew not. Though it was my creation, in this I was not mistaken, it was not for me. I had chosen my path. Turning I saw a cliff with a way running from the temple to the top of it where a building stood. As I began along the way a figure, cloaked in shadow approached, beckoning me to the side of the road. The figure did not threaten, nor did it seem menacing but I knew somehow that to go with it was dangerous. The figure approached again and I awoke with a start.

The lanterns were still dimmed and I could hear Led's steady slow breathing. The building was quiet, as quiet as ever in the mountain-home that never truly slept. As I sat listening I saw the door moving inward and the unnamed royal guard walked in quickly before turning and whispering to someone outside again.

She came and approached my bed, sitting on the chair next to it. A soft perfume wafted from her, filling my nostrils with the scent of pine and sand. She cocked her head quizzically and merely said:

"Well?"

"My apologies my Queen. I'd bend the knee or something if I could, but it seems that my legs simply won't function properly."

Withdrawing her hood revealed that she was smiling, and a brief look at her guard conveyed the sense that she'd gotten the better of him again. Waving my offer away she continued.

"Don't worry about that Paulus. Mistem is a very effective judicar as she is expected to be. Yes, I know about your sentencing and punishment. I know a great many things about this place that others merely guess at. But I wanted to meet you, the organizer and founder of this newest mountain-home. I get ahead of myself though, let me introduce myself.

I am Zuglar Oslanstettad, Queen of the Big Knife tribe, daughter to the former-king, may his bones remain forever undisturbed."

It seemed fitting to me that her name in the common tongue meant "Windtax".

"I wanted to meet you and thank you for the excellent work you have done here, providing a safe haven for our people in this time of strife. Know that you have pleased me, though not in as many ways as I might have hoped."

"My Lady, we have done our best here to create a place ..." She cut me off with a wave.

"Do you truly understand what it is you have done here? Do you?"

I raised an eyebrow and cocked my head to one side as I thought quickly about what she had said. I wasn't quite sure where she was going with this. She sighed and looked again at her guard. Addressing him she spoke:

"I believe you were right in this Rith. How one can see so much yet so little is beyond me." Turning again to me, she continued.

"Very well then. Let me say then that I reward those that serve me well. And you have served me well. See that you remain loyal to me and our kindred." Her voice softened as she looked me over, "and when you are whole again I'll find some way to reward you suitably."

She kissed me lightly on the cheek before leaving with her stone-faced guard, drawing the hood up and winking at me once before the pair left.

I got the vague impression of feeling like a groundhog being chased by a cougar just then and wondered, not for the last time, if I was getting in over my head. I had been right about her identity though. Seeing the platinum circlet I had made the connection after our first meeting. It could only have been Kasithinir, or Prowldeclines, the legendary circlet of the dwarven kings. It was one of the most valuable single items in our kingdom, possibly the world. Only the reigning monarch had the jurisdiction to wear it, which meant that she had inherited the title, presumably, from her father.

I would have to find out more about her, and I would have to be very discreet about it. But first I would have to recover and get out of bed. Summoning someone to the infirmary had the unfortunate disadvantage of half the fortress knowing about it indirectly.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2008, 04:27:02 pm »

Paulus, let me just say that no story I have encountered thus far on these forums (with the possible exception of A tale of a Sensible Dwarf) has captivated me quite like yours.  My hat's off to you.  These new development prove to be quite intriguing, and I anxiously await the next chapter/post.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2008, 05:22:18 pm »

((Thanks for the comments Fre. I appreciate your remarks. I love finding little tidbits that I'd missed before. For example: Getting a title is really cool but some of the names are so freakishly long I can't see them unless I take a save, abandon the fort and go into legends to look at them. So, I try to base things off of actual game content. I'll admit when I introduced the King Queen I was intending her to be a little more... good. Based on her provided interests it didn't work out that way. Go figure. I love that the game is so very in depth that the characters have a very good persona already developed.

Anyways, I do appreciate your comments, forgive my ramblings. I'll continue with the postings. Oh, and for all of you with dwarves, feel free to request whatever you would like that's in-character for your dwarves. I'll try to incorporate it if I can. Pretty much all of your dwarves have earned the priveledge of making 'special' requests at this point.

Oh, and my hat (if I had one that hadn't been nicked by my little kobold-in-training daughter) is off to you Toady for making such an awesome game.))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:34:46 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50