Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101495 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Dorenemal: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan (Community Fortress)
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2008, 11:29:39 am »

9th of Granite 1059

Spring has arrived without ceremony again this year. On the bright side, many of our injured have now recovered. Only two continue abed. One that was greviously wounded from the Countess' beatings and Mosus, who was injured during the last siege. Kuli has recovered completely, excepting that old neck injury.

The elves arrived again today. The diplomat returned, too. And rather than congratulate us on keeping within our 'designated' quota he merely set another one. Were it not for the fact that our forests continue to  grow I'd argue his point. Perhaps next year I shall and see what comes of it. They only brought cloth and a few berries, so much that was not useful. Still, we managed to pawn off some of the silk the goblins were carrying, and gained some goods at no cost to us.

The outer walls on the upper plateau are complete, but work continues bringing them up to snuff, and height, as well as adding ramparts on the inside. Mining below unearthed several deposits of gems, including Cat's eye, Morganite, Kunzite and a large patch of emeralds. In addition we've found three veins of Cassierite and one of natural silver. The silver is particularly useful as we've been using much of it to beautify our external fortress, as well as having crafted several statues out of it for the statuary.

Our population and wealth continues to grow. We are even as I write rivalling the mountain-home itself for wealth, size and prosperity. I dare say this fortress has the additional benefit of being vastly more secure as well. Here's to a new year. The traditional party continues on new years, though the toasts have left off due to sheer volume. I believe the hall is getting crowded, especially at large parties so I'll have to see about getting some more tables and chairs made to expand the hall into the rest of the available space we've got there.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2008, 03:17:54 pm »

21st of Granite

Some of the engineers working on the road were set upon by a goblin ambush. They ran back towards the main entrance screaming. Fortunately for them Ragnar wasn't far from the doors and he called out his squad, rushing to help the fleeing dwarves. Only two of the goblins had whips, the others had no weapons.

Ragnar waded into the lead goblin and it practically exploded, it's chest caved in, sending it flying to strike a goblin behind it. Two of the so-called wrestlers tried vainly to juke Ragnar into letting them slip past as the other whip-wielder followed after Kikrost, our woodcrafter, and was led into our traps, killing the creature.

Ragnar was busy teaching the two goblins some finer points of wrestling, namely, it's hard to pin someone when you're missing an arm.

Two other goblins were spotted to the east but they fled before the gates could be closed on them.

Nothing like a little action to envigorate things.

On a side note, it's been rather cold this year. I've mandated that mittens be made. I'd done this already twice this winter but somehow I could never seem to find a pair when I was needing them.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2008, 03:59:23 pm »

2nd of Felsite

Let's get the good news out first I suppose. Udil, our metalsmith, gave birth to a girl just yesterday. Nish, one of our guards, gave birth to a boy not long before that.

Unfortunately the dutchess approached me today with a request. Well, it was actually more of a mandate, but she phrased it very politely.

"Hi Paulus. Tarin really appreciates you getting those ballistae parts he mandated finished so quickly. And I really love that you've put up tables for us in the statuary. It's such a nice place to eat. I hear that you're to go-to guy when you want things to get done around here so I figured I'd let you know. When I was a child I once had the opportunity of visiting a place with my father. They had this remarkable artifact that had been made out of a bluish metal. They called it Adamantine. I've not seen something like that since, but I was hoping that you would be able to get something made out of it. Thanks."

I hadn't gotten a word in edgewise after 'Hi.'. She wanted something made out of adamantine? That was something I was pretty sure we wouldn't be able to accomplish. Owing to the fact that I'd never seen the stuff either.

At least she wasn't complaining about her inferior, but really quite spectacular, furnishings. Still, I'd have to see if maybe the stuff could be imported.

I wasn't going to hold my breath.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »

11th of Hematite

Two things of note occurred today. Mosus, our leatherworker, was taken by a fey mood today as he was hauling in lumber from the upper plateau. I'm not quite sure what came over him, except uncontrolled giggling and then a mad dash to the leatherwork shop. He grabbed a few pieces of leather and a great variety of other goods and began work.

The humans have diplomat arrived today as well and claims the wagons with the merchants are not far behind.

P.S. Mosus finished his work quickly. He calls it Ibrukuzol Nekiksesh, or Ashenoiled the Cold Sockets. Considering it's a pair of low leather boots I'm guessing it's in reference to walking outside in the snow. We've been known to occasionally strew ashes over the ramp to help improve traction in the winter. Still, it's a strange name for the things.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2008, 01:09:01 pm »

15th of Hematite

Abba and her crew arrived today, true to fashion. She eyed the silver road that we'd been installing since last year on her approach. For some reason she seemed a little sad, but not overly so.

"Hoy Abba, and welcome again to our little home."

She laughed lightly and from the heart. "Paulus, good to see you again. I don't believe a word of it for even a second. No one that paves their entryway in silver can truly be modest about their dwelling. You've turned this place into a spectacular fortress, and I insist on seeing the place before I go this year."

"Well lass, I'll see that that happens then. So let's get the trading done so the others can get to hauling."

"Indeed. I think you'll be pleased with what we've brought this year. I know what you're always complaining about so I've brought you three and a half wagon loads of lumber, dry and seasoned and ready for your use."

I grinned. "You know us well then. Let's see what else you've brought and get down to brass tacks."

I loved trading with the humans. They brought a huge diversity, including leather which we were also short on, and plenty of drink of all kinds as well as our annual batch of reasonably fresh seafood. And just like Abba mentioned, over a hundred logs. Plenty to keep our forges going for a season or two and sufficient to make a few more beds. We cleaned out their entire inventory.

While others were busy hauling goods I showed Abba around our upper fortifications, our entrance gates, the statuary and frozen waterfall (which only thaws for about a month a year), the now legendary dining hall where we dined on some of Fre's magnificent cooking, the sleeping halls below the dining room and the shops beneath those as well. I also showed her the mausoleums, the specialty crafts shops in the north tower, where we worked on our best goods. The arena in the south tower where four goblin cages were being fitted in for combat training. The place was rather extensive.

I learned as we walked that she had bought out one of the senior merchant guild members, thus earning her a spot on the governing body and a healthy share of the guild profits. Apparently her lucrative trips to our holding had helped considerably in that, but it also meant that she would no longer be coming personally to Dorenemal any more. It was a melancholy feeling, wishing her well in her life, but knowing that she would no longer be around to share the summer breezes with. That we would no longer be able to sit on the roof above the trade depot and share a mug of their/our strawberry liqueor.

There wasn't much to say between us. Not that I didn't want to say something, but I lacked the words to say it properly.

At least we could see her off properly. We may have emptied their wagons, but we filled their wagons back up too. Not just the usual goblin junk, but plenty of our crafts, clothes, weapons and armor. I gave her an offering for their king of some of our stone crafts, selecting out a masterwork obsidian ring to give to her personally, a token to remember the dwarves of Dorenemal by. To remember me by.

By the time we were done there was not room on their wagons and animals for another earring.

Abba didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave, but once everything was carefully stowed away the inevitable day came. I saw them out, the wagons moving slowly off into the distance, the humans gradually faded from view all looking off towards the distant road ahead. All except the one riding in the lead wagon.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2008, 10:39:03 am »

16th of Malachite

Kogan, one of our planters, gave birth to a girl. We celebrated that evening.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2008, 11:03:19 pm »

19th of Malachite

It appears I hadn't been paying attention as much as I should have while the humans were here. Our dutchess had decided in the middle of trading that we didn't have enough amulets around the place and forbade we export them. I'd already gifted a batch of twelve to the king through Abba and there was no way I could get them back. Mistem our Hammerer came to my office today, a smirk on her face, as she informed me of my punishment.

"Paulus, for crimes against the dutchess you are hereby sentenced to serve no less than seventy nine days in prison. After which time you will be given seven hammerstrokes. How do you plead?"

"Well, I suppose I'm guilty. I did order those trinkets to be traded." I supposed this was my opportunity to pay back in some small measure for what I had done. I would not argue this time. I deserved what justice could mete out.

She smiled.

"It's nice to hear you admit that, though honestly, it wouldn't have changed the outcome. Once charged the perpetrators always receive punishment irregardless. I hope you learn a lesson about the importance of justice and law from this. I don't expect it will do you much good."

My heart sank. Had it really come to that?

"How many others?"

"Just three. Two are to serve prison time alone. A third was sentenced to two hammerstrikes."

"I hope he survives."

"Perhaps. Not many do."

At least I had some company in the jail. The black obsidian walls and bare iron chains provided a nice contrast to the freedom we had all enjoyed. Three dwarves were already there and looked hopeful when I walked down.

"Have ye come to help us out then Paulus?"

I looked at the hammerer behind me who just shook her head.

"Nay, I've come to join you. Looks like I'll be in good company."

I could only remember the name of one, though now it too escapes me. He was Aardvark's armoring apprentice. Showed promise.

Mistem locked me into a corner of the room, somewhat apart from the others. Three months. That would be a long time. At least our new clerk was able to smuggle me my journal and some writing material. Bembul, the new mayor, came to visit me as well. Wanted to know what he should focus on while I was away.

It hadn't surprised me much when he showed up. It didn't do to have a prosperous place like this having a Mayor in the lockup. I approved of Bembul. He was the brother of Litast, our former mayor, and son of Zon. He would do what was right by the clan.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2008, 12:17:57 pm »

Middle of Limestone I think

I'm beginning to understand the threat of imprisonment. There are three of us down here, but I've long since run out of things to say to the others. Hardly anyone else comes. Rarely do we get food or water, even less visitors. I seem to be one of the exceptions.

Tarin came by to see me, looking apologetic. His wife hadn't been aware that I'd broken her mandate until Mistem had informed her of it. Mistem had also been the one to encourage the sentence. The dutchess believed in imprisonment as a punishment. A very effective one I'm learning. Mistem believed in a more corporeal form of punishment and apparently had persuaded her that I deserved it, being a repeat offender.

Generally when we're alone it is pitch dark in here so I have been unable to write at all. I think Bembul felt bad for me and left me a small tallow candle and a striker. I dare not waste the light.

We heard the wagons through the stone a day or two ago. It's hard to tell time in here. It must be the fall caravan. Everyone is likely very busy, and normally I would be too. That is what I miss most. Being able to be productive. This forced inaction grates on my nerves. I fear for the clan. They have good dwarves in responsible positions, though, so to a certain extent I know my fears are unfounded.

I also fear the upcoming hammering. There have been few infractions not related to the Countess Lokum incident, and well, this one. But of those others not a dwarf has survived Mistem's hammer. She does not vocalize her thoughts about the three she has killed, but neither does she take pride in the slain. That is something of a consolation I suppose. The two goblins she has killed are another matter of course. In any case, I must spare the candle, and close. I will write again when I can no longer stand the boredom and darkness.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:46 am »

I've lost all track of time in here. I try to sleep when I am tired but with the chains it is difficult. I forget what it's like to be sated and full. But I had to light the candle today to check. Tun, our would be armorer hasn't moved for three days and we fear the worst. He's been hunting for vermin, calling out for the rats to come to him for the past two weeks. It seems we've been forgotten in this place, though I can hear the sounds of activity through the walls. I regret to say it's more likely that everyone is busy with the fall caravan that no one can be spared to see to our needs. And criminals are lower down on the priority list than the wounded, of which we still likely have some.

Neither of us can reach him to check to see, but I don't see his chest moving so we fear the worst.

The fellow in here with me is one of our leatherworkers. I'd speak more to him, but I really have so little to say. He talks frequently though, just to pass the time. Seems he used to be a fisherdwarf. I've enjoyed hearing his stories of the sea to the east where he grew up. It sounds peaceful. I think I'd enjoy fishing. Right now I'd enjoy fish. And water even.

I try to keep my mind busy, but Ie can only do the multiplication tables for so long before the numbers begin to overwhelm even me. I think I stopped somewhere in the five thousands last. I've tried to excercise to keep myself reasonably fit, but the constant hunger makes it more difficult. I fear I've lost some weight the last while.

Our candle is nearly gone and I doubt I'd be lucky enough to get another. I'll save it for now.

By my count it's been about sixty days since I've been put here. My water bucket is dry and has been for two days.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2008, 01:01:49 pm »

A group of dwarves came to bury Tun after he died. Somehow they found the time to bring us food and drink as well. It seems strange that we were fed water and a fabulous horse stew. Almost incongruous. I know it must be Fre's cooking though. Nothing else tastes quite like it. Hunger is indeed the worlds best sauce.

My other companion finished his sentence. At least the first portion of it. He was sentenced to two hammerstrikes as well. He was unchained while Mistem came to deliver the blows. The first dropped him to the floor like a rock. Utterly unconcious. It must have that he was laying on the ground for the second blow but the hit to the chest hit solidly and I heard ribs breaking. He stopped breathing seconds later. Mistem sighed as she walked out, not even looking back at me.

My candle is almost gone and I wanted to record these things before it goes completely.  Already it is starting to gutter. I am alone down here now. It seems quite peaceful. I've taken to meditation. Listening to the earth around me I can hear what is going on in our fortress and the hills around it. The silence is profound and even the slightest movement on my part shatters it utterly. Perhaps that is why when I am motionless I am able to feel the sounds of the earth around me. Perhaps it is a gift I have been given, a bit of the earthsense. I've heard of such things, though it seems to be more common in miners. In any case, I've only two weeks left until the end of my prison term. And I have much to reflect on.

I shall use the last of the light as a focus for meditation before it too flees the darkness that approaches.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2008, 06:52:35 pm »

I could hear her coming two floors away. Mistem tended to walk on her heels in a slightly irregular pattern and that made her tread both loud and very distinct. She brought a torch with her and I lowered my eyes against the light at first.

"Paulus Monomozkak are you ready for your sentence?"

I stood. "I am at peace and ready for the punishment for my crimes."

She nodded and unslung her hammer.

Her first swing came in low, lower than I expected and I made the mistake of tightening the muscles in my leg. I felt a distinct pop when it hit in my knee and pain entered my body. I gritted my teeth. Mistem counted out the strokes. Perhaps because it was her ritual for performing justice, perhaps so she wouldn't strike too often, I wasn't sure. Her second blow caught me in the upper torso, knocking the air from my lungs and sending a wave of heat through my chest. I saw her third blow coming and made the mistake of moving my shield arm to intercept, as I would have in combat. Her blow clipped my hand hard, breaking bones and damaging fingers.

"Three."

I grunted and she swung again, clipping my other leg, sending me to the floor. The pain radiated from almost all of me and threatened to overwhelm my deprived senses. Her next blow caught me in the lower back, bruising flesh and damaging bone.

"Five."

I rolled over as best I could to face her when her next strike came in on my right arm again. The sound of her voice saying "Six." was all I knew for a few seconds. I lapsed into brief unconciousness the pain overcoming me. I came to only seconds later, in time to hear Mistem count out.

"Seven. You have paid for your crimes according to our law."

She began walking away without checking to see if I were alive or dead.

I gritted my teeth against the pain and leveraged myself onto my good arm looking at her depart. Groaning inwardly I managed to call out to her:

"Mistem..."

She turned towards me.

"You hit like a girl."

A brief smile passed across her face before she turned away. I heard her say as the darkness closed in again.

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Paulus. I'll send someone to carry you to the infirmary."

I passed out again. It might have been seconds or minutes later that I opened my eyes again and saw Kogan, one of our woodcutters carrying me towards the sickbeds.

I write this now two days after the fact. I've slept off much of my fatigue and though I'll be sore and mending for some time I feel remarkably well. At least my pen hand is uninjured so I can write.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:54:29 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2008, 07:15:57 pm »

Yay! This is an excellent story, keep it up!  :)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:18 pm »

10th of Timber

Lolor our clerk and recent immigrant gave birth today to a healty boy. I've asked if I could help take over some of the recording duties while I'm in bed. Writing is something I don't mind doing and it keeps me busy while I recover.

Bembul has come to visit me as well, filling me in how the projects are coming along, both on the upper fortifications as well as the road, which is nearing completion. Things progress well. The dwarven caravan apparently hasn't left quite yet, as they're still loading the wagons, but they should be departing before too long.

My brother and his wife have also come to visit me and wish me well. I think he convinced her to come, and from what I could tell she perhaps felt a little guilty that I was in the state I was in. I told her I bore her no ill will, nor hard feelings.

Still, can't let mandates like that run unchecked. I scribbled a note for Bembul to give to the merchants since he was acting as broker in my place.

Still, things have been running smoothly, in part because everything was well organized beforehand, but also because the others that have taken over in my absence are very capable dwarves.

In all honesty it has been nice to be able to step away from it all for a while and approach things with a fresh perspective. I've got some projects I want to see finished, but I think I've given up on my pet project for the time being. There are other things more important.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »

15th of Timber

At least I'm not as bored as when I was in the dungeons three floors below me. Still, I find this necessary inactivity somewhat annoying as well. I want to be out doing something, regardless of it's utility at this point. I can hear the sparring going on in the barracks just outside the room, sometimes a match extends into the infirmary itself, for which I'm grateful.

The bookkeeping is easy to keep up with I find. It's second nature to me, especially with Lolor doing all the leg work as it were.

I called in Draco to see me today. With Aardvark as a champion and our sheriff he'll not have time to see to the crafting of more armor (for which I apologize... sad to lose such a great armorer) and we were needing some new equipment with the recent additions. Draco had no experience in armorsmithing, but he was a decent enough weaponsmith and knew his way around the forges as well as metals. Besides, even though his military training was going well, equiping our soldiers took preference. It was better to have five well-equipped soldiers on the battlefield than a dozen ill-outfitted ones. There tended to be fewer deaths as well, and that included in training. No, we needed a new armorer, and with Tun gone the way of the world, Draco was the next logical choice.

Not that I thought he'd equal Aardvark any time soon. But one had to start somewhere.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »

16th of Moonstone

I heard the dwarven merchants leaving finally. Bembul tells me we've cleaned up a lot of the loose crafts, toys and instruments that have been cluttering up our roof. It's about time. Heh. Of course, we've been cleaning up after the goblins since we started and there simply wasn't time nor room for that too.

As an additionaly security, the gates were closed behind them, ensuring that we have a peaceful winter, and permitting our road crew to work without danger.

I've spoken with Bembul as well about some more personal matters. I can't see to it myself, and it's very appropriate that he take care of this.

Zon and Litast were moved to their own room in the mausoleum level. I'd had it smoothed, widened and engraved in preparation, but hadn't gotten around to getting it done before my incarceration. Mother and daughter now rest side by side in honor, surrounded by engravings of their clan. I assured Bembul that if he wanted he could be buried with them when it was his time to go. He assured me that would be fine, but had no intention of joining them just yet. As family it was, however his right to claim any possessions of theirs, and when they were exhumed he took the opportunity to claim a fine, if slightly soiled silk sock from his mother and a boot in similar condition from his sister. It seemed strange to me, but I wasn't about to deny him those memories.

Bembul apparently has decided that we don't have enough weapons here and has mandated several spears. I've asked Draco to take the order and make them in steel. No reason to do things shoddily.

I hadn't realized this but there is a human merchant outside the infirmary waiting to meet with me. I asked Bembul about it and apparently the human insisted I be the one to speak with him and that he wasn't leaving until I had. Apparently he's enjoying our hospitality. He waited outside the prison while I was incarcerated too. He must be a patient sort. For his sake and mine I hope I recover fast. Too much bedrest and I'll start to atrophy. Heh. Yeah. Right.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 50