Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: Geshud Osod, the Fortress of Bones (Community/Story in Legendary Lands)  (Read 101491 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Dorenemal: Rise of the Fahlstrom Clan (Community Fortress)
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2008, 12:56:41 pm »

17th of Moonstone

Dealing with the aftermath of the countess' punishment continues despite her absence. We've got at least a dozen dwarves on bed-rest still, which means two things. One: the two mechanics and I who have been less than busy of late have been tending the wounded. It usually involves me speaking with people, something that I'm not good at and therefore usually dislike. But it has been good for me. Secondly, it means that our well is running dangerously low. When the water level became sufficient to walk in I had to order the miners to channel out beneath the wells so that the remainder of the water would collect in the deeper portions. I can only hope the spring thaw comes soon enough for us to refill the place. I've also taken the liberty of deepening it further so we have more capacity in the future.

It's possible that because of the recent activities with which I've been busy, meetings, tending the wounded and what not that I've gotten to know the dwarves of the fortress better. Still, I'll admit I was quite surprised to be voted in as Mayor to take over in Litast's place. It was strange moving into the mayoral rooms. I've redecorated some, and requested some statues made out of silver, for both our statuary and because I think it'd be nice to have a reminder of Atun. Lord Rovod was happy enough to comply and made a very nice statue of him, and though the likeness isn't quite lifelike, the workmanship is remarkable.

I feel I should also include what steps I've taken to dissuade future powermongers that may come among us. Upon their death I had the remains of the late countess and her consort buried in common granite coffins and placed in a room on the top corner of the north tower. The roof was removed exposing them to the elements, an indignity in death at the very least, and then I requested one of our masons to wall off the room entirely. Their memory would be eroded by time quicky. The mason happened to be the brother of Litast, our departed mayor and son of Zon, the engraver, both of whom perished due to the madness of Lokum. He was more than happy to oblige my request. I could not bring myself to stooping to leaving them unburied, as the two were dwarves, and despite their atrocities deserved at least a measure of dignity in death. But I have also assured now that their resting place will remain ignomius. I think I'll have Zon and Litast, the mother and daughter that have given so much to this fortress buried in their grand mausoleum instead.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:59:21 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2008, 03:13:05 pm »

8th of Opal

Life continues on despite all hardships. Of that I am continually reminded. Kogan, one of our new planters gave birth to a boy today. Celebrations were held that evening.

16th of Obsidian

One of our wounded proclaimed that she'd been in bed enough and that she had a work to do. Despite having a seeping wound that was bandaged up on one of her arms, a reminder of the countess still, she made her way slowly through the fortress to her clothier workshop. She then proceeded to gather three bolts of Rope reed cloth, a turtle shell and bones, a bar of silver and one of platinum, a large piece of alligator leather and some rough chrysoberyls. I'm not sure what she's intending to make with all that, but considering the value of the goods she took it's sure to be impressive looking. I had to go and look up details on her in my office as I couldn't recall her name, and I wanted to speak with some of her friends about what she was likely to make. It turns out she didn't have any. Though it did explain a lot about the artifact she crafted.

She calls it Ngobol Abir. I call it a plea for help. I don't even want to know about the scorpion.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2008, 03:31:13 pm »

11th of Granite 1058

It is a new year once again. My how the time passes.

The elves have arrived again to trade with us. They seemed to look at our growing forests with pleasure as we've been true to our word and haven't cut hardly any wood. Of course, I'm hoping they let their guard down and forget to ask next time, by which time it will be ready to harvest again.

They were insightful enough to know that we would want wood brought, and though it wasn't much, the twenty logs they brought were very welcome. They brought several bins of cloth too. And a small basket of strawberries. Strange people the elves. I'm not sure I could ever get used to living on a diet of nothing but berries. In any case, we emptied their mules, and returned the cloth to them. We didn't really need cloth, but the bins it came in were useful.

While the elves were here one of our woodcutters spotted a kobold thief up on the roof where we stored many of our tradegoods. He shouted out a quick alarm before smacking the creature so hard it flew off the roof, above and over the edge of the cliff and onto the other side of the ravine. With that warning I posted Urvad near the entrance with her squad and had the premises checked over. A second kobold was found on the roof by a guard and given similar flying lessons, albeit in a different direction. A third kobold had the misfortune of being found by one of our planters, a sturdy lass who throttled the thing with one hand, while fending off it's attacks using a dagger with the other. No more such thieves were found and we called down the alarm after a day or two.

The elven traders were always strange to me. Our mutual cultures are so very different I can't really forsee us ever being  true allies, but it never hurt to have friends, especially in the short run. And with us having a glut of goods, since we lost practically a whole year a of trading not that long ago, I decided it was time to properly cultivate a good political friendship. The only way I knew how. I presented them with a gift, to be given to their leaders. And then we proceeded to fill up their animals with stone crafts, instruments and toys. Large quantities of them. They nodded politely when I said I wanted to give them a gift. Their eyes widened as I began bringing out bins of superb stone crafts. Lots of the goods were of exquisite workmanship, true works of masters. I think they forgot how to speak they were in shock. From what I had heard they were used to being treated with disdain by the dwarves, and responded in kind. By my calculations they been given about twenty thousand ingots worth of stone crafts as a present. I'm pretty sure it made their month. They said the druids would be very pleased. Druids? Stranger and stranger if you ask me. Nevertheless, they were potential allies, at least in the short term.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:37:35 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2008, 03:43:12 pm »

1st of Felsite

Summers must be slow around here as we always seem to have an influx of births around springtime. Nish, our prolific guard has given birth to another girl. And Urvad, not to be outdone has given birth to a boy. Her fifth child since she's joined us.

Having children running around the fortress really does make it seem more like a home and less like a military fortress. I had to check our official listing to make sure of my numbers but we apparently have twenty three children currently on our books. Three have grown to adulthood while here. That is roughly twenty percent of our population. It certainly keeps things lively around here. To be honest I'm not sure that we'll ever get that helmet back from Urvad. As soon as one outgrows it she replaces it with another child. She carries the child around in it attached by a worn, but thick, leather belt.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:49:22 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2008, 01:15:30 pm »

10th of Felsite

I received a pleasant surprise today. I knew that our Hammerer had sent a message to the mountainhome informing them of the deaths of our countess. Such was common practice. But we received our replacements this afternoon as a large group of immigrants came from the east road.

In the lead was the Countess Zefon along with her consort, my own brother Tarin. Of course with the additions that the new immigrants brought we reached the status of Dutchy and the Hammerer oversaw the official title enstatement. I greeted Tarin at the door as Lord Rovod, our resident noble, greeted Zefon. I hadn't expected to see Tarin at all, least of all here. I'd heard of him getting involved with the daughter of a noble, but that was years ago and I never found out what had happened. As it turns out Dutchess Zefon's family was an old royal line from Lalkol back when it had been the mountainhome centuries before. Though the glory of the place had declined when the grandfather of our current king moved the capital to Sazirgeb it still remained a large trade city, her family having taken over the guidance of it. From what Tarin told me they had met when she came to see the wonders of Kilrudmorul and he had decided to accompany her back to Lalkol when things started going bad at Kilrudmorul.

To hear him tell she is quite the appreciator of the finer things in life. Art and natural beauty being chief among her interests. After her brief greeting with Lord Rovod, Tarin was able to introduce us.

"Zefon, this is my brother, and holder of this place, Paulus."

"Ah, Paulus! What a pleasure it is to finally meet you in person. Tarin has spoken often of your exploits as children together."

I looked at Tarin with a raised eyebrow. "Well, Dutchess, one can't always believe everything one hears. Especially from someone so personally involved in any ... um... exploits."

She laughed lightly. "Don't worry. I assure you your combined indiscretions will remain safe. I hear you have a most remarkable dining hall, do show us around."

"Very well, Lady, if you would both come this way... I think you'll also appreciate our statuary. You've arrived just in time for the river to thaw. The waterfall is spectacular at this time of year."

Tarin whispered to me as we began our descent:"Are you doing to the roads what I think you're doing?"

"Yup." I grinned.

He rolled his eyes. "Why not pave them in gold?"

I laughed. "We don't have gold in abundance. Otherwise I'd consider it." I winked. "Now, on with the tour."

I saw them situated in their rooms and on my way back requested some furniture made to accomodate their needs. Tarin had informed me the Dutchess was fond of Nickel. I thought we could manage something made out of that.

I was able to visit with the others as well. Three wrestlers, one with a wife and two children, and a dog and cat. Four peasants and two trappers. All these were inducted into the military. A planter, milker, cheesemaker, gemsetter, mason, soaper, tanner, fisherdwarf and jewler as well. Twenty three more dwarves in all.

Apparently one of the wrestlers, Mosus, had served for a time in Scott's squad in the King's army. He'd been wounded and left behind to recover. When it took longer than anticipated he was honorably discharged and decided to move here with his family, having heard about it from Scott. Several of the group that came were his friends and acquaintances. His wife seems the intelligent sort, and not given to excitement. Apparently from a conversation with her she also believes in keeping secrets secrets. I've been looking for a new clerk, since it's simply too much for me to keep up with now, and think she'll fit the bill nicely.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2008, 01:58:53 pm »

12th of Hematite

The air itself begins to grow warm. It's been a fine year for weather, to be honest, and so perhaps that is the reason I'm doubly suspicious that we've seen not a single goblin around here for more than a year. Is it possible that they've given up? I hope, yet somehow do not believe that they have. The last two sieges in rapid succession hopefully gave them pause, so that seems like the more logical explanation. We continue to prepare for eventualities. The walls on the upper plateau have been expanded, or are in the process of it. We hope to finish encompassing the northern meadow in it's entirety. There are some veins of magnetite and even platinum exposed there, in addition to the plants and trees of the meadow itself. It would be a nice thing for us not to have to be exposed while working there as in previous years.

The dutchess is concerned for the security of the fort and so Tarin has requested that we make some ballistae parts. I think I have just the place for them.

Abba and Innu came at the head of the human caravan today as well. They are always a welcome sight, and the supplies they bring, while no longer absolutely vital, are always welcome. And Abba certainly not dissapoint this year. She managed to load her wagons with nearly fifty logs, in addition to a variety of metal bars and some charcoal. They also brought several varieties of seafood, packed in salt, as usual, which will provide us with some variety in our diet. I wanted to wait until Innu had rejoined us before loading up the wagons, as I wanted to make sure they had room for our gift for them this year. I needn't have worried. They had plenty of space. I presented Innu with a token of two masterfully wrought granite crowns to be given to her parents. In addition, to further help them in their fight against the goblins I gave them roughly thirty thousand ingots worth of weapons and ammo. Innu thanked us graciously and said that our contribution would surely save many human lives and go far to strengthening diplomatic ties between our races. If they needed anything after this year she said it would be backpacks, footgear and food for their military.

Abba was of course pleased, as always when I ordered her wagon to be filled with trade goods. While the wagons were being filled I took the opportunity to catch up on things with her. It seemed that the war was essentially a stalemate. The initial attacks of the goblins had caught both our races unprepared, but after that wore off things were starting to go better for us. Only time would tell. She still heard rumors of a large goblin force operating near the accursed tundra, and only whispers that spoke of a larger force moving across the mountains from the south and west.

Only time would tell whether they were true or merely rumors.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2008, 02:01:17 pm »

2nd of Malachite

Zefon, our brewer gave birth to a boy today. I went to visit her and though she had her hands full with the child she assured me that we wouldn't lack drink. She'd been working hard in the previous months and we have a vast stockpile of it. Barrels and barrels to be more accurate. We had gotten some from Abba as well, a nice diversity to our homebrews, but it was a relief to know that morale wouldn't be affected by lack of booze.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2008, 11:22:14 am »

16th of Limestone

The dwarven caravan arrived today. The dutchess greeted the liason while I got to deal with the merchants. I really wanted to get our tax paid this year so last year I had ordered a large quantity of heavy but inexpensive items. Mostly wood and metal bars. They didn't bring as much wood as I would have liked but they did bring some bituminous coal and lignite. And of course plenty of metal. Once our liason had finished up I had goods loaded up to pay our taxes. Finally.

The liason made notes and estimated values as I went.
Almost a hundred assorted weapons, nearly two dozen crossbow included, valued at roughly twenty thousand ingots. I hadn't tossed in any of our steel weapons. I wanted to keep those.
Roughly four to five hundred iron and steel bolts, valued at about thirty five thousand ingots.
And the pie de resistance, six full suits of Aardvarks finely crafted steel plate armor. Each suit was valued at roughly fourty five thousand ingots, bringing the total for all six and the other items to three hundred and twenty five thousand ingots.

The liason made copious notes, and went to inspect the armor personally. It was very impressive craftdwarfship. Aardvark's mark engraved on the shoulders of the plate or the inside lip of every piece. It was a shame that he was kept so busy as sheriff. Ragnar had recovered quickly and had begun training with the military, but it seemed like more often than not he was lounging around the statuary with one of the axedwarves from his squad.

It was good to be done with the tax, officially. Though I wouldn't have been surprised if Agna found some way of making us pay a second time. For that reason, if nothing else I made the liason sign an affidavit and receipt of goods for our records. He didn't seem to happy to do so, but complied well enough. I could understand his position. If anything happened to that cargo between here and there he would be held responsible for it, rather than being able to claim we hadn't paid in full. Still, we'd paid well and over what was required, so there was a little leeway, should some of the bolts need to be used, or one of the guards decided to claim a better weapon.

P.S. Two goblin thieves were caught in the traps as they approached the trade quarters. Needless to say they didn't survive.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:54:52 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2008, 01:02:41 pm »

21st of Limestone

Our workers were ambushed up on the north slopes as they were finishing the walls there. Thankfully Ragnar had posted Fath and his small squad of champions, Urvad and hers as well as Melonius as cover up there. One group came from the east, a guard, two macegoblins and three wrestlers. Fath's group, three champions began cleaving their way through them to help one of our masons who was being chased by one of their number. A second group showed up from the north which Urvad's group dealt with. Melonius I believe got at least one with his crossbow as it was coming around the corner. The unfortunate news is that apparently in the commotion a goblin babysnatcher managed to sneak up on Urvad and steal her son. She dismembered it violently but apparently in the ensuing struggle must have missed a second one, since at the end of things Datan was missing. All that was found of him was, unfortunately, his hand, which must have been hit in the fighting. We do not know if he survived and was taken or died of the wound. It is a loss and I'm not sure Urvad has quite registered it. She still carries around the extra helmet. (Strangely enough her profile didn't show her son as missing, though a notice popped up saying he had been stolen. Literally all I know I've found was his hand.)

We can only hope that some time in the future we will hear of young Datan one-handed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:48:09 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2008, 10:36:45 pm »

24th of Sandstone

Our carpenter, Thikut was taken by a creative mood. He was very secretive about it. He's also been spending a lot of time with our Hammerer. Apparently that must have influenced things because he produced a very nice pine coffin. Calls it Vetorneshast, or the Dishonest Ruins. Perhaps it's his way of supporting her in keeping law around here.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »

9th of Timber 1058

We received another batch of migrants today. Only ten, with a donkey and a cow. There were four peasants, a weaver, a fishery worker, a gem setter, two cooks and a woodcutter. Though many of them are useful, equally many we don't truly need duplicates of their skills. We've gotten roughly eight cooks in all our migrations, and none comes near Fre. She's gotten quite legendary in her skills and routinely comes up with masterful fare, despite some limitations in variety.

In any case, this brings our total population to one hundred and seventy one. Quite the metropolis now. At least batches of migrants no longer mean we'll have to tighten our belts. We have quite the food supply.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »

16th of Moonstone

We were in the cliffs working on clearing out a vein of lignite when we spotted movement along the road to the east. Our gates were closed, as they'd been all winter, so there was little danger of impending attack, but I ordered a scout onto the roof of the north building to keep an eye on the situation. It was a good thing. The goblins have returned in force. Or something like it.

With our gates down there was little they could do but mill around outside our walls. Still, the scout estimated there were about eighty goblins, give or take, which made them a significant threat. I spoke, turning to the recruit:

"Go let Ragnar know what's going on. And have him begin a muster. Marksdwarves and two squads at the doors. Tell him we'll finish up clearing out this vein and let the road work finish before he can have his fun."

The recruit looked at me strangely as I ended but dutifully ran off to find Ragnar. Aardvark was keeping the peace below, and I knew Ragnar would appreciate the action, particularly after being bed-ridden for nearly a month recovering from the last wound. I looked to the east as the Mafol finished mining out the last of the lignite and others came to haul it away.

Looked like it wouldn't be a boring winter after all.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:54 pm »

It didn't take more than a few days to finish our work on the cliffs and I locked the access door behind me as I headed down. I passed Ragnar and his squad on my way through the gates. All five of them were assembled, as was Kuli and Zuglar, our speardwarves. The marksdwarves were stationed in a tight line at the trade gate and ready for action. Ragnar nodded to me and indicated that he and his dwarves were ready so I went down and pulled the lever opening our outer gates. One of our scouts was on the roof ready to signal down when all the goblins were inside and I would pull the lever again, closing the gates when that was the case.

The goblins must have been surprised that the gates simply opened before them, as it took them a little while to decide to enter. I have no doubt that in their experience sieges simply did not work that way. The defenders didn't just lower their gates to let you in, at least very often. This was not a normal place though, and we were more than happy to let them in. Just not out. There was no checking out.

The heavy iron gates slamming shut behind them must have been some indication that they were in trouble, but only those in the rear probably even noticed. The first group, wrestlers and pikegoblins hit our line of traps, and with predictible efficiency the entire first platoon of goblins dissappeared, most caught in cage traps, the rest spread liberally across our entryway in small pieces. These days the red stain there didn't go away.

Our ballistae operators got in a few shots as the goblins were charging. One hefty bolt, larger than a spear passed cleanly through one goblin before scattering the others behind it as it fell shocked to the ground. Two other platoons of goblin fighters passed the corner as our trade doors opened, revealing a fully armed row of eight trained marksdwarves. The clacking of crossbows was like hail on a roof, and soon a flurry of arrows leveled those in the front, stalling the rush in it's entirety.

Ragnar called out:"Oi, lads. No heroics. No one charges the greenies without da squad, so stick together. And give 'em hell!"

It was then that Ragnar and the others charged out. The goblins were pinned down among the corpses of the dead and dying when seven fully armed and armored defenders broke into their ranks. Ragnar, flanked by Deler and Doren the two axedwarves from Kilrudmorul sewed quick destruction before them. Kuli and Zuglar no less effective, moving to the east to engage the few crossbow goblins with the enemy. In minutes, or less the force had been reduced to a few goblins in cages shouting obscenities or begging for mercy. Popping his head around the corner Ragnar spotted the other two platoons sheepishly holding back. So he decided to take a quick break and headed down the to hall to get a quick drink.

Unfortunately it was then that the fourth group, the one with eight goblin archers decided it was their turn to try the defenses. Kuli and Zuglar took position right around the corner, out of sight of their archers until the last second. Behind them stood our own marksdwarves, Thorvad and Melonius among them.

The first archer to step around the corner made the mistake of thinking the weapons trap inactive and was impaled from below for his mistake. But soon the rest showed up as well and the fighting began in earnest. A hail of fire erupted from our side, answered only sporadically as the goblins moved and dodged to try to get away from the deadly spears in their midst. Kuli pinned a goblin to the ground by the shoulder and was twisting his spear in the wound when a goblin took a shot at him, sending a bolt through his foot. One of our bolts came out of the swarm and struck that same goblin in the chest, then a second in the neck, ensuring that Kuli not get hit again, but the damage had been done. Gritting his teeth against the pain Kuli placed his good foot against the goblins chest and removed his spear, stabbing out and up, even while prone, to slay the goblin laying near him. Zuglar and the marksdwarves finished the rest off, Zuglar pulling Kuli out of visiblity behind the wall the second the fighting was over.

The last goblin platoon looked to be reluctant to enter the fray and hovered around two corners near the foot of the ramp, unable to flee and unwilling to attack. Ragnar's squad returned in this state and after making sure Kuli and the others were all right proceeded to check out the situation. Seeing no archers among the group Ragnar quickly took initiative, running out to attack the group, leaving his surprised squad to follow him. He had slain four goblins before the rest of them even caught up.

And so ended the siege of Winter 1058.

Unfortunately during clean-up one of our jumpy engineers accidentally loosed a ballistae into the clean-up crew, striking and killing Ducim, one of our masons. He was the only casualty. Kuli was injured, taking a bolt in the foot, but it looked like he would recover. Mosus, from Ragnar's sqaud took a pike in the foot during the last charge and may be recovering for some time. Eighty goblins came, none left. Ten of those were captured, to be used by Ragnar and his crew for practice.

It  will take weeks to clean up the mess. I've had enough dealing with goblin gear and have simply ordered the lot of it dumped. Sans the weapons, shields and ammo, which are still useable.

((Melonius you got two kills, Kuli, despite being injured you got three. Ragnar ... got sixteen. Below is the aftermath, two screens were stitched together with Paint.))

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:49:15 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:45 pm »

10th of Obsidian

Urvad has filled that helmet-sling yet again. Another boy. She seems happier now and I'll have to see to it that she isn't on the front lines lest she lose another son.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2008, 06:41:08 pm »

17th of Obsidian

It seems the recent bloodshed has awoken some spirit or other nearby. Astesh, one of our engravers, became possessed while he slept and ambled into the craftsdwarf workshop. He grabbed several pieces of granite, some raw green and clear glass and a larch log before wandering onto the battlefield to strip the flesh off of the remaining corpses that we haven't gotten around to cleaning up yet. He took eight bones from goblin corpses to use. Very disturbing. With it he's produced Isirostath, or Frayedesteemed, a granite ring. I'm not sure anyone wants to wear it for fear the spirit that possessed him now inhabits it.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50