Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Make offloading units part of worldgen  (Read 1662 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make offloading units part of worldgen
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:23:49 pm »

This is minor.

Right now, worldgen prompts you to accept/reject the world after it has finished generating the world, but before offloading the world to file. Now, I don't know about other players, but I have yet to reject a world that I let complete generation. All this extra affirmation step does is mean I have to step in halfway through worldgen to hit a button. A better workflow would be to complete worldgen and write the world to file, and only then ask the user. If they reject, then the file can be deleted, but no more work need be done. Moreover, they can still reject mid-generation (and presumably mid-offloading) if they don't like what they see.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Make offloading units part of worldgen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:11:44 pm »

I'm for this one, it gets annoying to have a worldgen going on when I'm playing Halo and then needing to leave the game to go hit enter. Or alternatively, leave the worldgen going when I need to do something important for awhile just to come back and wait another 5-10 minutes to actually play.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:45:11 pm »

Seconded.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:42:38 am »

Third.  I have silently wondered about that myself.

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:08:07 pm »

I must agree.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 01:11:07 pm »

Agreed.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:57:20 pm »

I really, really don't mean this to sound pompous or anything, but does it really take that long to generate worlds? I can generate a few hundred rejects in only a few minutes. Unit offloading takes less than 30 seconds - even on a full sized world.

Am I doing something wrong? I rarely find maps with any of the "special" features that most people seem to require, so maybe I have something accidentally turned off (vanilla DF though).
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 02:03:56 pm »

It has to do with waiting and doing something else, then having to give pointless input only to have to wait some more.  Yes, its only 30 seconds, but it's annoying.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 02:23:50 pm »

Uh, hey, "Offloading Units" is not a part of worldgen- It's a part of wrapping up between modes! It happens when a fortress or Adventurer dies, too. It HAS to be where it is, because there is a technical difference between offloading units and worldgen, and it will become even more pronounced in the new version.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 02:40:56 pm »

Uh, hey, "Offloading Units" is not a part of worldgen- It's a part of wrapping up between modes! It happens when a fortress or Adventurer dies, too. It HAS to be where it is, because there is a technical difference between offloading units and worldgen, and it will become even more pronounced in the new version.

You do realize this has absolutely no relevance to the topic?  Offloading units still MUST happen, and currently, you have to strike a key to begin offloading after worldgen.  The suggestion is not to mix offloading with the worldgen process, but rather, to remove the need to strike a key to complete the worldgen process.  This is very likely a trivially simple change that won't hurt.

Also what sort of machines are you guys running that you're offloading in 30 seconds??  Offloading takes my machine about 5 minutes for a full-size world, and my machine isn't exactly a slouch.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:20:04 pm »

Athlon X2 4800+, 4GB of dual-channel DDR800. I don't know where unit offload happens (CPU or RAM), however.

Saddest part is, I have a GeForce 8800 GTX OC - and I use my PC now exclusively for Internet and DF.  :-[

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 04:11:31 pm »

Uh, hey, "Offloading Units" is not a part of worldgen- It's a part of wrapping up between modes!

This is obvious, we see that "Offloading Units" screen every time that we die in adventure mode, or our fortress dies off (or is abandoned).

We just want the need for input to be removed to make the world gen as fast as possible. Not everyone has a computer that can spit out a world in 5 minutes, and this helps make the process faster. People leave their computers while world gen does its thing because it takes a while, and the need for input before finishing up with the "Offloading Units" makes everything take that much more time.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 04:33:25 pm »

Sounds good to me.  Can always get rid of the world later if you don't want to play it for some reason.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 04:38:38 pm »

Despite my apparent advantage in the generation arena, I agree with this change. The only time it wouldn't make sense if you had the option to discard a world post-generation, but before the offload. I don't recall this being an option - but I've only generated a dozen or so worlds, so I may be way off base.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 07:50:20 pm »

The delay between cleaning and generation is there to let you offload a picture (which you can do in legends I guess), and so that a new player isn't just dumped out to the title screen after running generation (which could be confusing, and after the offload the world is no longer loaded to be displayed).  I could alter this behavior, but I don't just want to spit people out to the title screen.  I suppose a new player gets enough of the visuals during generation itself, and could be dropped at the title screen provided it also displays some sort of sentence above/below the options that says something like "<world name> has been created.  Select Start Game to begin!" or something like that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2