Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make offloading units part of worldgen  (Read 1661 times)

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make offloading units part of worldgen
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:24:08 pm »

The delay between cleaning and generation is there to let you offload a picture (which you can do in legends I guess), and so that a new player isn't just dumped out to the title screen after running generation (which could be confusing, and after the offload the world is no longer loaded to be displayed).  I could alter this behavior, but I don't just want to spit people out to the title screen.  I suppose a new player gets enough of the visuals during generation itself, and could be dropped at the title screen provided it also displays some sort of sentence above/below the options that says something like "<world name> has been created.  Select Start Game to begin!" or something like that.

Perhaps a simpler(?) solution for this would be to just put an option in the init. That would make everyone happy, while still being friendly to new players.

Have the options be either,
1) Pause before offloading units like normal, giving you the ability to choose what to do
2) An option to automatically skip the pause and offload a picture...
3) And an option to automatically skip the pause and not offload a picture.

The default option would obviously be #1 so new players wouldn't get confused and wonder where the heck their world is. That and it is quite possible that they do not see the words telling them that their world has been created.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:28:39 pm by Seizures »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make offloading units part of worldgen
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:41 pm »

Actually what you could do is hold onto the world's "picture," offload the units automatically, then pause when offloading is done, show the picture (with a "save?" like we have) which then is basically a prompt saying the world is done, and key presses send you back to the title screen.

You'd still have that screen with the option of saving a pic, but saving it or no doesn't mean you then have to sit through the offloading to get back to the title screen.  The memory holding the world map still needs to be cleaned, but that's nothing compared to offloading the whole world.
Pages: 1 [2]