Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Pethitirum, The Penultimate Challenge (Community Fortress)  (Read 10228 times)

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile

Where are my shells and metal and wood! Can't they understand that I'm trying to CREATE!! I am looking around this workshop and the metal I just KNOW is around here can't be found! They must be hiding it from me! Or maybe I am just looking in the wrong spot? I have a VISION of what I want to create, for the first time in my life I can't bear to sit and think about things now!!

(Don't cook the turtles either)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pethitirum, An Ultimate Challenge. (Community Fortress)
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 10:03:05 am »

It's going to built just like a regular dwarven fortress, only with a faked veil of ignorance.

I'm well aware i'm not supposed to cook the turtles (we don't actually have a kitchen, yet.) Aswell as the need for a fish cleaner, thats Ravus.

The problem is that Ravus isn't catching any turtles to process/not cook. He just keeps pulling up Steelhead Trout from that damned brook.

*counts on fingers* todays an update day, so i'll just edit the update into this post later.

Also, if you haven't noticed, I haven't updated past 38c. for this fortress, I'm not sure why anymore.
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Seems you have a lot of dead animals that need processing.  So, I'd like you to meet Jack, who would be glad to live in a warm settlement for a change.

Name: Jack (feel free to chose the last name)
Profession: Leatherworker, Tanner, Butcher (in order of preference, but he has done all these in the past)
Personality: Jack is warm and sociable, but afraid of big crowds.  He can handle stress, but not incompetence.  He's experienced in working in small fur trapping camps located in cold, conifer forests, and is looking forward to settling in a warmer climate.  He is also interested in the new and exotic leather goods available in this settlement.

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm an idiot who forgot to write the update yesterday, so this one is long.

From the journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 16th Slate, Year Two:

Although we have plenty of metalsmiths to replace the dead weaponsmith in our non-existent metal production, our other casualty, the leatherworker has proved to be significantly harder to replace.

You see, the leatherworker also served as butcher, tanner, and "guy who hauls the bones to the craftsman's shop". Most everyone here is afraid of going in the room we keep all the bones and other misc. refuse.

Enter Jack Toquemlofi, when he arrived he stated he used to serve as butcher at a small fur camp, so he's already been emotionally scarred by the piles of piles of corpses.

He has long hair, so I thought he was a girl when I wrote up this report, sorry about that.

From the Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 6th Felsite, Year Two:

Reinforcements arrived today to supplement those we lost in the attack, although they don't know that four people have died here already, and I intend to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Those that made it here alive:

One Woodburner
One Engraver
One Metalcrafter
Three Peasants
One Tanner
One Fish Dissector (Very specific line of work, don't you think?)
One Milker (See Above.)
One Weaponsmith

Although Jack-I should probobly think of some way to label the two different Jacks...

I guess the simple solution is to call the long-haired one Jill.

Jack says we now have a population of thirty, which means either my count of the new immigrants is wrong, or his count of the total population is wrong.

Kupe's pretty much finished with the graveyard we're burying those that died in, just has to haul the coffins down there and move some rocks out. It would've been done sooner, but he tends too slack off on projects like this. He spends most of his time with Saya, lazing about in the food storage room.

From the journal of Kupe Evholkan, 10th Felsite, Year Two:

I've pretty much had a steady supply of work to do since day one, and i'm the only one that can say that. The exception being the fishermen. For awhile now people with nothing to do (notoriously metalsmiths) have been sent off to the river to help Ravus mine for fish.

I think i've found the problem:

But that was a tangent, when I came up for the short break I could allow myself before diggng out more bedrooms for the new migrants (and some old ones, we have something of a housing crisis), I found our new corpse-man, sleeping, on a pile of bones.

I should probobly get to work on those bedrooms.

From the journal of Kupe Evholkan, 13th Hematite, Year Two:

A caravan of humans from back home arrived today, the dwarven inspectors didn't come with them this time, they're coming with their own caravan this year.

When they pulled into the depot I noticed something strange, all the caravan's guards were whippers (is that the word for people with whips?).

Behind the closed curtain, I remembered the intresting purchase he had made from the elves elf, and hoped he wouldn't emerge with an elephant. I shouldn't say that, since Saya is actually pretty nice.

Instead Jack emerged with only one item, an anvil.

When I asked him why he only purchased an anvil, he said that Olev holing up in the shop had brought craft production to a halt, so all he could afford was the anvil, and was lucky to get that.

I think that comment jinxed the whole place, because minutes after he said that, Olev emerged from the shop, having never recieved a shell. He went to his room for a couple hours, then calmly, silently walked out of the fortress.

We haven't seen him since.

From the Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 4th Malachite Year Two:

Remember when I said noone had seen Olev since he left?

Some migrants arrived today, they found his body. Not exactly a warm welcome for them, eh?

Ori's "Official Count" is:

Glassmaker
Craftswoman
Fisherman
Fish Dissector (because we need more of these guys...)
Jewler (More work for me, mining out random shiny rocks to keep this idiot busy.)
Two Peasants, volunteering for farmwork.
A "thresher" (What?)

In my genius I dug out some extra slots in the graveyard, so I get to relax with Saya while Olev is buried. I find it amazing that with people dying as often as they are our population (and the amount of rooms I have to dig out) keeps rising. We're now at 37.

I think we're doing something wrong.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:20:29 am by Omath Erius »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Actually, Jack's really is a girl, named Jill ironically.  As you can imagine, fur trapping expeditions generally don't accept girl butchers, due to the unwaranted expectation that girls should be sheltered from such activities.  (in other words, I'm alright with Jack the guy being Jill the girl, sorry the first name wasn't original enough)

In related news, Jill wants to know what's wrong with laying on warm, soft animal carcasses?

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pethitirum, An Ultimate Challenge. (Community Fortress) Now Recruiting!
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 04:56:43 pm »

It's strange, but i'm getting noticably better FPS playing as humans than I normally get with dwavres.

From the journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 11th Malachite, Year Two:

Yet another couple who got married without telling me...

Rud is now a father, he and Idil Feltolmo have given birth to the fortress' first child. They named the child Oxut, after the Ox, for they hope the child will grow to be strong like one.

Not exactly a great family for the kid though, Idil is a boring peasant, and Rud is a brave warrior who could die at any moment, and I mean ANY moment.

The merchants finally left today, since the trade we had provided them some Pethitirum hospitality, which is a nice way of saying "You probobly won't be sleeping on a boulder tonight". They shared some nice stories of happennings back home, and as they left, they revealed a surprise.

The caravan had brought with them letters from back home. Several gathered around the caravan to see if they had gotten letters, while some rushed back to their rooms to give letters to send back.

I think maybe, I had hoped that my parents would've sent me a letter, but they didn't.

They didn't, They wouldn't, They couldn't...

From the Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 27th Malachite, Year Two:

I've noticed that the more our population grows, the more labor we need to support it. A quick survey assessed the problem:

The vast majority of our populace, myself included aren't doing anything.

As a placeholder to actually organizing and deploying the labor, various large projects have begun. Every bedroom will be smoothed, Cabinets and other furniture will resume large-scale production. A second craftsman's workshop has been built, and various rooms which will eventually have some form of purpose.

We shuld probobly move some workshops indoors and think about actually constructing some defenses, should probobly find a way to store all these rocks, but this is a start.

From the journal of Kupe Evholkan, 4th Galena, Year Two:

Olev's Funeral was held today. Due to the massive amount of work Ori just dumped on everyone, only the five of us who first came here with him have squeezed out the spare time to attend. (and even I should be mining...)

I feel bad that he got the same size tomb as everyone else that died, and if I ever manage to crawl out from under the massive pile of work orders I have, i'll see what I can do about expanding it.

Also, in some cruel twist of fate, since we found Olev's body a month ago, Ravus has begun to haul in more turtles than we can handle, the dining room is littered with the shells Olev wanted, and the ceremony concluded with one such shell being placed over Olev's coffin.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 1st Limestone, Year Two:

At the beginning of Autumn, I finally finished the rooms Ori told me to dig, but I haven't told her, since that would mean more rooms to dig.

It's strange, a year and a half ago I was spending hours digging out a space the size of an ox, and now I'm digging out large bedrooms so fast that passers-by cannot comprehend every individual motion quick enough.

The only thing stranger than how fast I mine is the ever-pressing question of why I'm still the only miner when there's 38 of us.

(Laying on a soft animal carcass is fine, lying on the bones of some horrible half-rat-half-man mutation is another.)

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »

Dwar- er.. Human me!

Name: Dee
Profession: something that isn't useless or farming. or fortress defense.
Personality: reserved, uncomfortable with crowds, that sort.

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2008, 02:34:23 pm »

Sorry I couldn't fit notification of your existence into this update, Dogman. I was hoping to write up something to go along with the Dwarven caravan, but they haven't shown up yet, and Autumn's almost over.

From the journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 6th Limestone, Year Two:

The Metalforge-thingy is now up and running, and to officially open it, I ordered a platinum table to be made.

It's a nice table, but i've yet to decide what to actually do with it.

The Events of The 20th Limestone, Year Two:

Idil, Rud's wife and Pethitirum's first mother sat with her husband on a particularly smooth boulder somewhere between the fortress and where the wagon broke down.

"The Elk hath become a lot more brathe." She spoke with a lisp, "They uthed to juth hang abouth up north, buth now they'the begun running about through the main hall."

"The Elk here are mainly peaceful around us." Rud replied, "I'm frankly more disturbed that noone besides you and me seem to even notice or care."

Thwack!

Idil fell to the ground, not badly injured but in severe pain. A goblin emerged from it's hiding spot behind the boulder, dropped the bludgeon he had hit Idil with, and began to run off in one swift motion.

Rud went over to Idil checking to make sure she wasn't harmed.

"Oxut!" She yelled through her tears, "It took Oxut!"

Rud drew his axe and instinctivly began to run after the goblin. As the goblin noticed his pursuer ad began to gull full sprint, Rud managed to catch a glimpse of the creature's details.

In addition to the typical goblin features, this one in particular had a massive wart on his right eyelid, a black tattoo-like stripe running along the length of his left arm, and was bald save for a short pigtail.

Running after the goblin, Rud realized that his target was gaining on him, and let out a last desperate burst of speed. As if to counteract his, the goblin removed one of Oxut's shoes and hurled it at Rud, hitting him squarely in the face. It didn't hurt, but caused him to stagger and fall to his knees. As he looked up, he saw thje goblin dashing off towards the horizon and knew hope was lost, he collapsed to the ground, crying.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 22nd Limestone, Year Two:

Thor's been in The Carpenter's Shop for more than is healthy, when I asked him what he was doing in there, he responded:

"I'm making something for Rud and Idil, since Oxut got kidnapped 'n' all. By the way, I need some leather."

When I told him we had used our supply of leather on making crafts, he grabbed me by the neck, forced me into the wall, and loudly proclaimed, "I NEED LEATHER"

I remembered what happened to Olev, and set about to finding a solution to our lack of leather.

Sacrifices had to be made:

As if physic, the moment our Jack/Jill combination finished tanning a hide, he ran out, grabbed it, and returned to the shop.

A few hours later, Thor emerged with an alder casket, and quite a nice one at that:

He even went through the trouble of "naming" it, which considering the name, somewhat scares me.

Inside the casket is the shoe that the goblin threw at Rud.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 20th Sandstone, Year Two:

More migrants arrived today, adding to the ever-rising list of rooms for Kupe to dig.

The interviews continued as normal, A veterinarian of some sort, three peasants, a mason, and then they showed up.

Three of them pulled up to me at once, when I told them to approach me one at a time, this was the respone:

"No, for we ARE one!"

"Kastrol! Catching and wrangling the most dangerous fish known to man!"
"Somost! fearless dissector and processor of valuble fish innards!"
"Guki! Who will clean, clean, clean!"
"Three men devoted to the catching, dissecting, and cleaning of fish! Ultra-Fish-Terminator-Unit-GTX-9000.5 Beta Edition HAS ARRIVED!"

There was some impressive coreography to go along with that, which I won't describe here.

"Great, I hope you guys like turtles and steelhead trout, now get to work."

The last to arrive introduced himself as a soapmaker, when I heard this, I showed him to our massive stockpile of tallow. He shouted with glee, and lept into one of the barrels of tallow.

It's been a few days, and I don't think he's come out yet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:25:30 pm by Omath Erius »

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:55 pm »

No dwarven caravan showed up, so I can only asume they're never coming, which means a whole lot of bad things, most notably the fact we're stuck with outdoor farming.

This entire update was written to the beat of Loituma, just a warning.

The Events of The 18th Timber, Year Two:

The Dwarven Inspectors arrive at the now infamous chasm which signifies that they've arrived at Pethitirum. Due to the some, "minor complications" it was deemed unsafe and unwise to bring a caravan with them untill further notice.

Welcoming them into their home, Ori Gasomanoth assumed the task of showing them around their fortress, brightly highlighting every notable detail of the still somewhat small fortress.

Concluding the tour in the commons, Ori span around to face her guests and asked their opinion.

"Ach, ye call this meesly leetle anthole a fortress?"

The lead dwarf, showing his disgust at how pitifully small the fortress was, attempted to spit into Ori's face.

Unfortunatly, he was extremly short in comparison to Ori, and the glob of spit took a high arc in the air, before landing on his shoe.

Annoyed at his own failure, he gathered the other dwarves and led them off back to the mountainhome, not wanting to spend even a night in what he proclaimed to be pathetic.

The Events of The 20th Timber, Year Two:

Ori stands atop a makeshift podium, looking down on three figures.

The center figure is Kupe, wearing his regular mining attire, and looking very bored.

The figure on Ori's left is known as Dee, previously doing something both unimportant and unknown, she now wore the same mining get-up as Kupe, except using an iron pick instead of a copper one.

The figure on Ori's right is Saya. Having little better to do and wanting to help without actually knowing whats going on, she had found a hardhat similar to what Kupe and Dee wore, and now proudly displayed it atop her head.

"Everyone." Ori opened, really only talking to Kupe and Dee but also pretending to adress Saya so as to humor her. "In light of recent events, minimalism in all forms surrounding the construction and glorification of Pethitirum will not be tolerated. As such, large projects in every major craft have been set in production as of today. Yours is simple enough: Dig out rooms, lots of rooms."

Somewhat anticlimacticly, she then stepped off the podium, and sent the miners off to do their work.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 1st Moonstone, Year Two:

On the first day of Winter, the wall has been completed.

Since I began Operation Mass Production, everyone's been moaning and complaining as if they're the only ones doing any extra work, when in reality everythings been kicked up a notch.

We Masons, for example, constructed the previously mentioned wall along the fortress entrance. In addition, once the river freezes, we'll be working with the Miners to construct a dam.

From The Journal of Rud Wuridur, 15th Moonstone, Year Two:

While getting a drink from the river, I heard the scream of an Elk from up in the hills Northeast of here.

Following the sound, I found what had caused the disturbance: A goblin.

It wasn't the one that had taken Oxut, but it was a thief, and one which I had every intention of killing.

The battle was short, he attempted to stab me in the chest, but missed. Swinging my axe down, I cleft through the top of his head into his brain. Somehow still alive, he wandered around for awhile, dazed and oblivious, before finally tumbling tow the side of the hill to his death.

Upon returning I was told that two kobold thieves had attempted to infiltrate the fortress in my absence, but Kupe and Dee managed to kill them without injury.

Nice of them, but i'm going to talk to Ori about adding some fortress security.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 23rd Moonstone, Year Two:

The river froze today, which meant it was time to construct a dam. I'm not sure what it does or why we're risking our lives to build it, but it got done.

Myself and Dee were in front, mining out the ice and attempting to dig in as straight a line as possible. The masons, six of them worked furiously to keep up behind us, brushing away the excess ice and rapidly building up walls of the blood-stone along to block off the soon-to-melt ice. In the far back were anxious citizens with nothing better to do, watching the work take place and searching for even the smallest flaw in the dam.

The project seems a success, though we'll have to wait and see.

In addition to that, we've been up to our eyes in work, and I wouldn't be anywhere near as far without Dee helping out.

What started as more bedrooms became an excavation site when turquoise gems we're discovered inside. This also led to us digging out a room for the jewler to begin cutting all the gems we've found. And as per Rud's request, we've dug out a Kennel-thingy where our resident veterinarian is training dogs to guard the door.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 13th Opal, Year Two:

Since the river's freezing we've once again had to turn to brewing as our source of liquid nutrition. We've set up an auxillary brewery outside the kitchen and build a cellar under it. Unlike last year, we're having no problems maintaining a healthy supply of drinks for everyone.

The goats have resumed their attacks again, possibly because of their need for drink since the river froze. They storm down the side of the mountain into the commons, and then run amok in the halls generally causing a ruckus, finally fleeing back into their high-altitude sanctuary before a defense can be organized.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:27:26 am by Omath Erius »

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 01:20:02 pm »

Horray, I'm a miner  :D

I noticed this though: "complained about the lack of a well lately" We don't have an indoor well set up to get water from?

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 01:37:22 pm »

Horray, I'm a miner  :D

I noticed this though: "complained about the lack of a well lately" We don't have an indoor well set up to get water from?

I may be going a tad overboard with the Human Ignorance thing, but no. We have no well, besides the dam the river has been manipulated in no way, and we only brew for the short period of time the river is frozen in winter.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 19th Opal, Year Two:

I've noticed Seran has been acting oddly lately. He refuses to talk to anyone, and rapidly carries objects of various importance and relevance to the leatherworks.

Today is notable because he stopped grabbing objects and locked himself in the leatherworks today. After talking to Jack, he gave me a list of objects missing from the stocks that he chalked up to Seran taking:

One Uncut Turquoise.
One Stone Block (Leftover from the construction of the wall)
One Turtle Shell
One Iron Bar
Three Stacks of Leather.

On the topic of leather, our leather stocks have dipped into the negatives recently. We've officially cancelled leather goods production as a result. In order to restock, we've begun to butcher excess livestock, which has resulted in another crisis as we run out of space to store the bones.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 9th Obsidian, Year Two:

After somehow going twenty consecutive days withiout food or drink, Seran emerged today completly physically healthy.

Mentally healthy, however...

He emerged wearing an elaborate, and somewhat scary mask, which he now refuses to take off.

According to Jack, if we could ever get it off him and sell it, it would be worth a whopping $21,600, which is both amazing and creepy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Events of The 11th Obsidian, Year Two:

Looking onward towards the dam pictured above, almost every living being in Pethitirum came to watch the event.

The river was thawing, it was time to see if the dam would hold up.

As te call from above was shouted that the river had officially achieved liquid state, everyone leaned in a little closer, listening for any sound.

The walls groaned and creaked for a few of the scariest moments of their collective lives, before settling into consistency.

A cheer was let out from the crowd, filled with joy that the dam had held.

The dam, built for no particular reason and serving no particular purpose, had held.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 1st Granite, Year Three:

So Two Years are in the books. Unlike most entries, nothing of interest actually happened today, but I did ask Jack to summarize out status for me:

Unlike last year, where the year's end signified our glorious triumph, this year's end seems more like a slap in the face that we still have five years to go.

(So next update will come with a spiffy new title.)

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pethitirum, Halfway to History (Community Fortress)
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 03:15:56 pm »

Presenting the first entry in:

Pethitirum, Halfway to History.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 5th Granite, Year Three:

The refuse stockpile is now officially full to bursting, and as a result various bones and other such unpleasantries are scattered about the fortress.

Refusing to allow this to happen, we got Kupe and Dee some gas masks, and threw them inside to expand.

According to them they've now reached the limit of how fasr they can dig without breaching into another room, and we do NOT want that to happen.

Today also marked the day the last stray cat (not yet killed) was adopted, by our thresher of all people. I still say the thresher's job is to sound make their job sound so compicated that noone ever asks them to do anything, so thats probobly why.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 15th Granite, Year Three:

I'll admit I was curious to why Rud had asked me to dig out a large, empty space for him, which led to me asking for the reason after I finished.

It turns out Seran had requested to be drafted into what was now our, "military" and Rud was using the space has a pariing ground for the two of them.

I suppose it's good Rud has someone to practice with now, but i'd rather not be there when/if Rud slices through his face.

The Elven Caravan also arrived today, which leads to both good news and bad news:

The bad news is we didn't get anymore bears or wolves or what-have-you, Jack said they hadn't brought any this time.

The good news is that even only using "Elf-friendly" crafts, Jack was successfully able to purchase the entire caravan's supply, with money to spare.

As amazing as that is, i'm worried about how the elves will get home with no food...

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 1st Slate, Year Three:

People with no rooms of their own have begun to sleep in the sparring grounds, which has shown how much of a crisis we're in for housing.

So in addition to mining out new space for the metalsmiths, we've also constructed some rooms on the other side of the dam.

Dee has been joking about how "If the dam breakes and floods, we can all live over here now".

I don't find it particularly funny.

Strangly enough while mining the new metalsmith out we discovered something similar to the blood-red stone, only this time much shinyer. Predictably, Xern demanded that we mine the entire vein out for him to examine:

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 4th Slate, Year Three:

The second child to be born at Lacywaves first entered the world today, the son of Genan, the thresher I mentioned earlier, and Fathri, a farmer of some sort.

If memory serves the child's name is Postle, and I pledge to defend him as I should've done for Oxut.

Our head farmer, formerly Olev but now someone significantly less important, did the math and told me that we have the manpower to build an auxillary farm.

He said the farm would grow a grass of some sort, I decided long ago not to attempt to understand the world of agriculture, and simply okayed it.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 11th Slate, Year Three:

I knew it would from the start, but the way it happened surprised me.

While sparring Seran severly injured if not broke Rud's left leg.

You read that correctly, Seran broke RUD'S leg. According to our veterinarian-turned-all-around-healthcare-provider, Rud will be out untill the summer, leaving Seran alone to hold down the proverbial and literal fort.

As if to challenge him, since the day Rud was injured Rhesus Macaques have been charging down the hills trying to disrupt people on the surface.

Seran accepted and passed the challenge:

With flying colours.

It's only been a week and the entire southern portion of the river is almost undrinkable with blood. The nearby hills are no better, corpses of monkeys are strewn and mangled everywhere outside, which makes me glad to be down here.

(We aren't technically at the halfway mark untill Summer's end, but you get the idea.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:30:18 am by Omath Erius »

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 09:18:04 am »

The Events of the 20th Slate, Year Three:

Despite the safety and security provided by the wall, human nature called for the citizens of Pethititrum to enjoy being outdoors. Be it farming, fishing, or lumberjacking, they constantly searched for excuses to enjoy the outdoor weather.

Because of this, when an object of unknown origin appeared in the sky, it caused more of a ruckus amongst the humans than it ever could have to the more cave-adapted dwarves.

It started small, and quickly increased in size, a sure sign that it was falling uncontrolably, almost screaming at those below to get out of the way.

KA-THWUMP

It struck the ground with a force that would alert even those deep underground. First inspection revealed it to be a wagon, though far larger and having no wheels, essentially just a wooden box that through some feat of engineering, managed to survive that crash without shattering to pieces.

A man emerged from under the tarp, throwing his hands in the air and letting out a cheer. After pulling off the tarp, several men and some animals revealed themselves as contents of the wagon.

The lead human introduced himself as a trapper, and his group as new immigrants.

He explained to the citizens that a nearby area immigrants normally went through had recently become infested with goblins, so the dwarves had constructed some sort of air-drop device with which to launch future immigrants.

In addition to the trapper the contents of the box include:

A peasant.
Three children.
A mason.
A tanner.
Three Fishery workers.
A bowyer.
A cheesemaker.
A leatherworker.
A clothier.
A miller.
Two mules.
A dyer, and a carpenter.

Hunting down and locating Ori, he delivers a message:

"The Kings done some kinda Public Support thingy, he declared yer little cave is now an official township."

"OUR little cave," Ori says in retaliation, "and what does that have to do with anything?'

"It means that by Human law yer now the mayor."

From The Journal Of Ori Gasomanoth, 1st Felsite, Year Three:

I write this from my new office. It isn't quite finished yet, but it's better than nothing, and I apparantly need it now.

Some craftsman came in today, wondering what the craftsmen should be doing now, I told them to keep doing what they've always been doing, to which they asked if I had any mandates for them.

It hit me like Rud's axe hits a ratman, I can make mandates.

If for no reason but to test the water, I told him to make a bracelet.

He hasn't made it yet, but there isn't exactly a rush right now.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 7th Felsite, Year Three:

I woke up this morning to find a bracelet on my desk and a note from the craftsmen that it was for the mandate.

That grassy stuff the farmers were talking about sprouted today, instead of putting them in the food stockpile, they keep dumping it into some wierd stone thing that showed up by the kitchen a few days ago.

I'd ask why, but I don't really care that much.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 17th Felsite, Year Three:

Some glassmakers spent all day wandering around the tunnels, telling some horrible tale about how he was attacked by a horse. I tried to explain to him that all the horses here are tame, and that he should go tell Ori about it, but he refuses to acknowledge the presence of anyone or anything except that damned horse.

Apparantly the masons refuse to build a wall near the south edge of the fortress, saying it's, "too close to the edge" So me and Dee got called up to dig a trench.

The problem is the trench HAS to cross the brook, if it cosses the brook it fills with water, and if it fills with water it freezes in Winter. Quite the conundrum.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 22nd Felsite, Year Three:

I finially decided to ask the farmers what that grass stuff was for. They said they were using it to make flour, and while on the subject needed more bags to store said flour.

When I told the leatherworkers about it, they said they needed more hides to work with.

Likewise the tanners needed more skins and the butchers needed more stuff to stick knives into.

This left me with two options:
The obvous one would be to start butchering our spare herd animals.
The smart one would be to make bags out of cloth.

But you can't guess what I chose.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 06:54:08 pm »

Make me a human.

Name: Jenkum
Profession: Axeman

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:02 am »

(Once again, sorry Dwarfman for not getting you in, like Dogman, i'm waiting for something to happen before I throw you in.)

(I messed around in the raws a little to see if I could get dwarves to start trading again, we'll see if it works in the fall.)

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 1st Hematite, Year Three:

As predicted by our healthcare provider, Rud is now almost fully healed and has been cleared to resume normal soldiering duty.

Just in time, too, as it appears the glassmaker's tale was true, and our latest zoological foe is a pack of wild equis eckeus horses.

Unlike more dangerous foes, Rud and Seran have adopted the strategy of herding the horses away from the fort without hurting them, which seems to be working well enough.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 9th Hematite, Year Three:

The constant attacks on our fortress has led me to believe that even with Rud and now Seran to fight invaders, we need more ways to keep them from entering it.

The obvious solution would be more doors, so I ordered the idiots in masonry to see if they could make some.

Then I remembered i'm a mason and did it myself.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 13th Hematite, Year Three:

An Ambush, Curse Them!

They were spotted atop the hills to the West, extremly lucky for us, that we saw them before they could get into position.

In addition to Seran and Rud, I grabbed my pick to join the fight, and Saya decided to tag along for reasons unknown.

The ambush party consisted of 10 pikemen, a single crossbowman, and a single axeman. It was difficult to tell who led the ambush, but easy to tell who led our forces.

Rud charged ahead of everyone else, ignoring the bolts flying past him and beginning to decimate those poor goblins dumb enough to get near him.

Seran didn't come with us, he went around North, preferring to take out those that hadn't pressed forward when spotted instead of trying to cut them off.

The battle was anticlimacticly easy, so I was able to gather a kill count for each of us.

Rud killed five, all pikegoblin.
I killed two, including the axegoblin.
Saya only had one kill, but it was possibly the most important, near the beginning of the fight, she either snuck around the goblins, or bashed through them, and killed the crossbowgoblin.
Seran, even though alone and facing four, managed to kill two before the other two left, seeing the others had been killed and reinforcements were arriving for us.

Not that it was one battle, as it seems i've inferred, the proverbial cops and robbers game lasted two days, ending almost the moment that the human merchants arrived.

The Events of The 15th Hematite, Year Three:

The Human caravan arrived at the scene eerily close to the moment that the goblin ambush was defeated, possibly caused by the attacking force weakening the goblin chokehold on the areas around Lacywaves.

Regardless, the caravan this year was massive in size, requiring three full-fledged wagons and eight single-animal transports to bring it all.

As such, Jack was not surprised to learn there was no way that their crafts would be enough to purchase everything in the caravan like they had done with the Elves.

"The whooole way was empty man." said one of the merchants, talking about the trip to Pethitirum, "Like the goblins just gave up left."

"Could it possibly be related to the ambush party that attacked us a few days ago?"

Startled, and seeing another oppurtunity to make a quick profit, quickly asked, "You guys got ambushed?"

"Yeah." Jack answered, "Turned out fine though, killed 'em all off."

"Well get yer ass outta here and come back with that goblin armor, boy! I'll pay top dollar for it."

Rushing off, he and almost everyone else proceeded to work on the tedious process of moving every piece of goblin clothing to the Depot.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 17th Hematite, Year Three:

That thresher i've been mentioning, shes the new mayor.

After swiftly taking over my office and dining room, her first order of business was to demand the construction of three Low Boots. She apparantly has some sort of fetish for low boots.

From The Journal of Ori Gasomanoth, 22nd Hematite, Year Three:

Some kid got kidnapped, it wasn't Postle, just some immigrant kid, so I don't really care.

From The Journal of Kupe Evholkan, 6th Malachite, Year Three:

Well, the 21 days of constantly hauling goblin armor has payed off, Jack was not only able to purchase everything of even remote use from the merchants, but was also able to purchase all of our crafts back.

The armorsmiths finished making the low boots or our new mayor of unknown origin. She responded by immieadtly ordering three more be made.

Atleast she'll have an even number now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7