Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You've struck Gold!  (Read 2867 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You've struck Gold!
« on: June 30, 2008, 11:27:39 am »

Could probably be modded in, but it would make my day if it didn't specify gold or pyrite (as iron ore) when you found it, and you had to look and the rock again to check.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You've struck Gold!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:00:08 pm »

.....huh?

Are you saying, "don't specify the mineral" such that DF goes "You have struck ore!"?

And "you have strucks" can't be modded.  If they could be we'd have modded out "You have struck orthoclase! x10"

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:06:09 pm »

What he means it that the message for striking pyrite will be the same as the message for striking gold, and you would need to use 'k' to look and check if you really struck gold or if it is just "fool's gold".  Seconded, that would really be a nice touch.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:21:26 pm »

Gold and fool's gold really aren't that similar.

Anything that's just a "ha-ha, the UI lied to you" isn't something I'd support.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:33:43 pm »

Make it depend on the striking dwarve's highest skill out of Mining, Rockcrafting, Masonry, Engraving, <other stone/ore-using skills here>.

That was you only get the GOLD!!!! message if the dwarf who found it is stupid about rocks.
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:39:03 pm »

Isn't "knows about rocks" one of the biggest things about dwarves?
Also, I could see it getting old fast. Just hitting k and mousing over the wall isn't that fun. If it is rolled out, and dwarves are no longer omniscient about rock-types, I'd like to see a surveyor skill, so until they've been looked over, walls are seen as "rock 1" "rock 2" "rock 3" and so on.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:47 pm »

It's pretty easy to tell pyrite from gold if you know anything about either.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 02:27:57 pm »

Being able to trick the occasional stupid Human merchants with Pyrite crafts, though...that would be hilarious!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:03:27 pm »

Maybe have each material seam discovered be replaced by question marks, but when a knowledgeable dwarf passes by it's identified? It would mean if you had stupid dwarves mining you'd have to get a miner or mason to come through and check it out.

But I just don't think this would add much to the game, plus it would add more processing checks. And as was said, if anyone knows about stone it's dwarves. Just in general.

Before this happens I'd like to see changes to the existing stone types to reflect the fact that water and air disintegrates or alters some of them into a different kind of stone. I forget any specific examples at the moment, but I'm talking mainly about various salts and crystals that oxidize quickly.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 04:26:14 pm »

You have discovered lithium!
You have discovered lithium oxide! (yes, I know it doesn't occur pure naturally, it was the only one I could think of)
But anyway, most metals that reactive are already changed. And very few transform completely, rather they gain a thin crust. So it shouldn't show up in the tile-sized boulders.
ALSO, you wouldn't get much from the putting oxidization in, especially as the game doesn't have an accurate model for air so it would be impossible to create a vacuum to store your metal in. It would be nice to be able to make and exploit things that react with water. Imagine diverting a water onto your caesium stockpile

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 04:59:02 pm »

The obvious DF-realistic example would be rock salt, which as it is salt will dissolve in water.

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 06:01:35 pm »

These are dwarves, man. They could SMELL the difference between pyrite and gold.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:23 pm »

These are dwarves, man. They could SMELL the difference between pyrite and gold.
Those are some wimpy dwarves you got there, mine can hear exactly how pure any ore is at 100 paces, through a vacum.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 06:31:35 pm »

Being able to trick the occasional stupid Human merchants with Pyrite crafts, though...that would be hilarious!
this is much better.
it also works the other way, and especially when you're playing adventure mode.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 06:45:18 pm »

The obvious DF-realistic example would be rock salt, which as it is salt will dissolve in water.
That is a lot better. And it could turn freshwater into brine somehow.
Pages: [1] 2