Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guard has been arrested for beating a criminal.  (Read 2784 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guard has been arrested for beating a criminal.
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:48:23 am »

I had a 'criminal' who was sentenced to a beating, but the guard who beat him killed him.

Now that guard is wanted for the murder - what happens if he gets beaten to death too? My entire fortress guard will be killed one by one as they all become murderers and are then murdered in turn!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guard has been arrested for beating a criminal.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:01:51 am »

If you have enough free chains designated as jail cells, you should be okay.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:08:30 am »

I had enough chains assigned when the first beating was given - but unfortunately the sentence was a beating and a time in jail. I haven't had a dwarf die from a beating before, but this guy was already injured which must have made it worse.

Luckily, the guard has only been sentenced to a jail term, so it won't start a series of murders.

Incidentally, if a beating (not hammering) is given, will the guards use their bare hands even if they are armed? In this case I should probably not make my guards good wrestlers, or maybe I should give them all crossbows, so that they do not advance in wrestling.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:33:50 pm »

don't give them crossbows they'll probably ditch bashing the guy and just shoot him  :o
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »

Hahaha, read my signature story.

Similar case, except the one who was beating was invincible, so he just killed everyone.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:51:27 pm »

Don't give guards a crossbow! They will use it to hammer prisoners instead. You don't want guards with hammer skills! :-X
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:54 am »

So if the guards are armed then will they do beatings with their weapons rather than their bare hands? If so, I'd better quickly take all the weapons away from my guards..

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 12:52:45 am »

So if the guards are armed then will they do beatings with their weapons rather than their bare hands? If so, I'd better quickly take all the weapons away from my guards..

Just hope they don't become legendary wrestlers.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:01:58 am »

Wait, I thought more experience = less deaths, or does this only apply to sparring?
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Jades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jades.org
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 05:21:37 am »

Don't give guards a crossbow! They will use it to hammer prisoners instead. You don't want guards with hammer skills! :-X

But all of my Fortress Guard have hammers! Most of them are legendary too! The Royal Guard have maces.

Luckily my nobles' typical mandates are easy to meet now that I've managed to get through the aquifer.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:44 am »

The plan was to put potential soldiers in the Fortress Guard until their wrestling skills get good, but before they become champions put them in the regular army and give them weapons.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 07:39:56 am »

Wait, I thought more experience = less deaths, or does this only apply to sparring?

Yep, thats only for sparring. I *THINK* when beating someone the person is considered a hostile unit for all intents and purposes to the guard.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:37:12 am »

You could always run a crime ridden fort like I used to. Ie: kill off your hammerer, no fortress gaurd, no chains or cages, no sherriff, no gaurds. IE: if you were a criminal you were never punished, i dont do that anymore because its a bit cheaty

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 09:05:58 am »

I think that's something Toady should consider fairly soon; make the hammerer/Guard etc less likely to deliver fatal or crippling damage as their skill gets higher. Doubt I'm the first to think it though...
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:11 am »

Yeah highskill guards should be less likely to accidently kill when issuing beatings.

Unless of course they are aggressive short-tempered mean SOBs, but maybe thats a  factor allready?
Pages: [1] 2