Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viewing seed post embark  (Read 1936 times)

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Viewing seed post embark
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:00 am »

I have a world that I generated that I'm pretty sure has *no* goblins.  And in it I have a nearly perfect starting location.  Magma pipe, tons of iron, tons of flux, a brook, a bajillion trees.....

I got four years in, 400k in value, and started to wonder why I hadn't been sieged yet.  So I hit (c) to check, and sure enough, no goblins!

So is there any way to view a seed now that I've finished generating the world, so I can pass along this nearly safe sandbox?  (there were 4 fire imps and a magma man, and that's it!)

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing seed post embark
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:08:59 am »

I got four years in, 400k in value, and started to wonder why I hadn't been sieged yet.  So I hit (c) to check, and sure enough, no goblins!

While (c) screen actually doesn't tell if you have goblin neighbour or not (IIRC, only "known" aka goblins that have done something are shown), but if you are four year in and no thieves, snatchers or anything like that has shown up, there most likely isn't any goblins.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:41:40 am »

Load up your game, hit escape, choose Export Local Map or something like that, highlight only one z-layer (to save time), export it, and a text file should show up in the root Dwarf Fortress folder which contains the seed.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:33:29 am »

I think you have to open the save in Legends mode. So, make a copy of your Dwarf Fortress folder, fire it up, Abandon Fortress, Start Playing, Legends, and then export map. I think.

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:44:10 pm »

Do you think I should bother?  Would anyone be interested in a potentially goblin free start?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 02:13:09 pm »

Can never have too many good seeds, might be useful for people wanting to test mods in relative peace or something like that. =)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:43:32 pm »

Sweet, the export image thing worked.  So anyone that can write on wiki might want to go help a dwarf out and post it :-)

Created in DF v0.27.176.38c.

[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:STANDARD]
   [SEED:324316224]
   [DIM:257:257]

nameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:17:36 am »

Related question.

Is there a way to see where you are on the world map once you've embarked?