Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would you consider this cheating?  (Read 2124 times)

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would you consider this cheating?
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:54:21 am »

I had a dwarf go into fey mood and request materials which I did not have and absolutely could not get. So when he eventually went berserk, I just locked the door to the workship, leaving him inside to die of thirst. This avoided him killing anyone, but of course the tradeoff was that I could not use the workshop until he died. Would you consider doing this acceptable or is it "cheating"?

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Re: Would you consider this cheating?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 02:58:33 am »

No I wouldnt say that was cheating at all. In fact it was good planning to put a door in there anyway. (its what  I do :) ). Only a few dwaves will go into moods, less will fail them and even less will go beserk. You can afford the loss of a workshop for a few months because this occurance is extremerly rare. Hope that answered our question
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:02:23 am by Hishan »

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:15:24 am »

Agreed. Not cheating. Cheating would be modding his demands so that he wanted stuff you had.

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:27:08 am »

its not cheating at all its smart planning. if you let him die out in the fort it might have made more dwarfs upset. if a merchant saw him theyd kill him, and nearby dwarfs would get a witnessed death bad thought, on top of any loss of a friend thoughts.

anyone wanna point out what weird items we should be more desperate to get, so that we have fewer lunatics?
for me i know:
 shells,
 rough gems and
 silk cloth
are things you gotta keep around. which means you reeeally wanna get some of that silk cloth as soon as you can from the traders. getting shells is usually easy, unless your ponds dry up, so make sure they get linked up to any running water quickly.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:43:28 am »

Glass is probably the worst one as if you don't have sand you basically can't get it. (You might be able to get crystal glass but rock crystal is pretty rare and also can't be imported.)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 05:31:53 am »

Cheating would be to turn off the mood and keep the dwarf.
Locking him in the room is perfectly reasonable; any sensible dwarf would've come up with the idea.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:58:50 am »

Definitely not cheating. There are many other things out there that are far more cheatalicious.

Teleporting him into some magma, for example.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:25:55 am »

Teleporting him into some magma, for example.
well, it's not very cheaty, since currently we can't order dwarfs to chain madman and toss him into the lava pit, which is what any sensible dwarf with a sense of style would do to someone who demands loads of gems, silk and glass to make a friggin' floodgate.

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 08:00:08 am »

Main reason I asked is that locking berserk dwarves in the workshop seems to be the obvious choice in every situation, since that way they will never ever kill anyone. And if you really need that workshop type you can just build another one...

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 08:21:54 am »

I do it all the time to crazy dwarves. I just leave them in there to starve if they go berserk. Usually they don't destroy the workshop. They do sometimes destroy their children if they brought them in when they started the mood.

I also can't stand those big "open workshop" spaces where people have nine workshops crammed into a 9x9 space. Sure, it seems to work, but it is ugly and prone to moods.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:06:09 am »

Oh, I always build every workshop and stockpile in a separate room with a door. Lots of open space just doesn't seem appropriate for dwarves. ;D

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:25:06 am »

Separate rooms? For me, every level of the fort is basically just a huge open cavern with some stuff in it.
I guess I haven't bothered with protecting myself from rampaging mood dwarves because I've never seen
one, and because I can normally get them what they want. Sure, it ain't that pretty, but it's efficient.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:56:34 am »

I hold out hope that with one of the upcoming releases, Toady will make berserk dwarves into building destroyers, at wihch point simply locking a door isn't going to do much for you.

While this approach is certainly logical (stick a mad dwarf into an oubliette until he dies), the exact methodology seems a bit of an exploit to me, in that logically it shouldn't work.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:28 am »

the exact methodology seems a bit of an exploit to me, in that logically it shouldn't work.

What are you talking about?  Just because the dwarves don't notice that all the workshops have stout wooden doors that lock from the outside, it's not your fault...

Anyway, IMNSHO, the only cheating is using third party apps or editing the raws after you've started the game.  Lesser forms are changing the raws to make the game way easier or using bugs (Ubend) to exploit.
Behaviours that aren't covered by the system (yet) are fair game.  (mostly because the game is 'balanced' around it.

On that note, it bugs me when people brag about their uber accomplishments only to later admit that their 'dwarves' were modded to have 3 heads, not eat or sleep, and they'd searched the map with utils to find the perfect spot rater than searching the old fashioned way.  But that's just me

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:33:25 pm »

the exact methodology seems a bit of an exploit to me, in that logically it shouldn't work.

What are you talking about?  Just because the dwarves don't notice that all the workshops have stout wooden doors that lock from the outside, it's not your fault...
I'm talking about how dwarves can unbuild doors just fine regardless of where they are in relation to the door, which implies that door locks are mainly a matter of courtesy. And berserking dwarves shouldn't care about manners.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2